Perseverance Is A Writer’s Sustenance

29 Apr

003QUOTE OF THE DAY

“It is impossible to discourage the real writers – they don’t give a damn what you say, they’re going to write.”~Sinclair Lewis

Truer words were never written.  Discouragement is inevitable when writing.  How can it not be? We sit, by ourselves, for endless hours writing words in hopes that someone will read them. We face rejections slips, we hear negatives and days can go by without any positive feedback…..and still we write.  So although discouragement may be inevitable it is not crippling.  Read writers write!  Despite the setbacks and the seemingly insurmountable odds, real writers write.  It is as though we are driven to do so.  Some inner voice demands that we sit down and spill our hearts and open our souls for dissection.

I wouldn’t have it any other way. J

Develop your character.  Use these prompts in describing characters in your story or book.

• Name
  • Age
  • Job
  • Ethnicity
  • Appearance
  • Residence
  • Pets
  • Religion
  • Hobbies
  • Single or married?
  • Children?
  • Temperament

Do not skimp on this.  Readers want to associate with a character. When I think back to some of my favorite characters in literature, I realize that they had some aspect of their character that I could relate to in some way, and the author is the one who made that happen.  It is your job to bring life to a character.

SITE OF THE DAY

I use Brainy Quotes almost daily, either as a supporting quote in my articles or as inspiration.  You can find this great site here.  Just look under a topic heading and you will find several quotes that you can use in your next article.

WRITER OF THE DAY

Visit Deb, or aviannovice, on HubPages.  You can find her here.

She does a wonderful weekly article about Life at Boomer Lake where she does a photo essay of the birds who visit her favorite lake in Oklahoma.  However, it is her poetry that I really love.  No matter, get to know her.  She is a quality human being who, just like all of us, is just trying to make it in this business.

CONTEST OF THE DAY

Free entry for this haiku contest with a cash prize of $100…entry deadline in July.  You can find it here.

July 21, 2012 041

This was taken around the Olympia area.  I’m not going to tell you what it is because that’s not the point of a writing prompt. What is important is what you think it is, or what you think of when you see it.  Have fun!

MORE TOMORROW

Yes, I will return on Tuesday with more tips, suggestions and recommendations.  Thanks for stopping by and have a great day writing.

6 Responses to “Perseverance Is A Writer’s Sustenance”

1. Janine Huldie April 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

So true about getting discouraged from time-to-time, but loved the positive spin you always can put on something, especially this. And seriously you really got something great going here with this new blog. Love it!! 🙂

• Billybuc April 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Thank you Janine. You are a great cheerleader for anyone in the arts, and I appreciate you greatly.

2. Melanie Chisnall April 29, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Needed to read the part about perseverance today. Things aren’t as hunky dory as I might make them out to be. I might go back into copy writing (the baby steps to writing I thought I could fly over). It’s depressing a lot of days not having work, or thinking that I’m doing enough. But, I am happy about adding art and design into my work because these are things that make me who I am, that can all work together with my writing. I wish I could just jump over 2 years and look back on today and say, “It was tough, but I did it”, because it really, really is tough. Anyway, I don’t want to bore you with all my thoughts and jam up your comment section! Important topic today – thanks for this Bill 🙂 The picture makes me feel calm and relaxed. Just what I need right now.

• Billybuc April 29, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Mel, it’s odd to see you here at this time. 🙂 I’m glad you stopped by again and thank you for being honest and saying what is on the minds of many writers and artists. It is very hard at times. I had a meltdown on Friday and it was not pretty. I was feeling frustrated and aggravated….success was not coming fast enough. LOL It sounds ridiculous to say that now because none of us are guaranteed success….but it was very real on Friday.

It’s hard, Mel….I understand. 🙂

3. Ruchira April 29, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Mondays are usually a hang over for me. Your strong words helped me get up and fight again as a warrior. Thanks Bill 🙂

• Billybuc April 29, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

I am very happy to hear that, Ruchira. Thank you!