Writing For Posterity

7 May

003Welcome back to the writer’s show that never ends…well, until I die of course and then all bets are off.

Are you busy practicing your craft? It is a craft you know, and as such it deserves your very best.  Sure there are days when our very best just can’t be found, but the intention should always be there.  Remember that you are writing for posterity. What you write today will last forever.  Kind of makes you want to try a little harder, doesn’t it?  Try this quote on for size and then we’ll chat a little more about this topic.

The man who writes about himself and his own time is the only man who writes about all people and all time.

George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

We are all so similar.  We have so many commonalities, and we share so many experiences and emotions based on those experiences.  I had someone tell me once that they did not write personal essays because nobody would be able to relate to them. I strongly disagree!  When you write about a heartache or a celebration, I can certainly relate.  When you write about the joy of seeing your child mature, or the pain of losing a loved one, I can certainly relate.

Never underestimate the power of your emotions, and never under-value the importance of your personal experiences.  If our job as writers is to entertain and stimulate, then we must use the tools we have been given, and one of the best tools we have is our array of experiences.

summer of 2010 001

It was 85 degrees here yesterday, highly unusual temperatures for this early in May, and my thoughts instantly went to summertime activities.  Thus this picture as a prompt.  What do you think of when you think of summertime?  Swimming? Picnics? Barbecues?

SITE OF THE DAY

English Novels.net can be found here.  It markets itself as a novel site in blog form…the downloads are free and you can read a book one chapter at a time.  I find it to be a relaxed way to take a break from writing, and it’s always helpful reading the work of other authors.

WRITER OF THE DAY

If you are into blogging, or you have been thinking about blogging, then I highly recommend Janine and her site, which can be found here.  Janine has got this genre down pat.  Her site is pleasing to the eye; it is the perfect length; and it appeals to a wide-range of readers.  She also has contests and giveaways and some great product reviews there.  Give her a shout out and tell her Bill sent you.

PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW

My other life is calling me so that’s all for today. Stay tuned for the next installment of Artistry With Words, brought to you Monday through Friday at this site.

If you have any suggestions or questions then feel free to leave them in the comment section. I promise to answer them before the sun sets on Olympia, Washington.

12 Responses to “Writing For Posterity”

1. Janine Huldie May 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Oh Bill, you just made my day that much brighter and seriously I could not ask for a better friend in you. Thank you so much for the shout out, but pretty much for just being someone I can always count on in the wild world of writing and my life, too!! 🙂

• Billybuc May 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

Janine, maybe I’m all screwed up, but I think we should all support each other. I have no time for those who feed their ego…I hang with winners and you are a winner. 🙂

2. Liz May 7, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

85 degrees? Holy cow. That’s warmer than it’s been here!

When I think of summertime, I think of bugs. If you lived here, you would understand. 😀

• Bill Holland May 7, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Lizzy, I do understand and that’s why I don’t live there. LOL

3. Ruchira May 8, 2013 at 1:27 am #

It has cooled off these days here.

I agree we gotta pass on some thing to the future generation and writing wise words of wisdom will be a guide in the dark alley.

Janine is a great individual.

• Bill Holland May 8, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Ruchira, I love the fact that my writing will live long after I am gone. Thank you my friend.

4. Audrey Howitt May 8, 2013 at 2:03 am #

So good to see you here Bill–and I love the new blog!

• Billybuc May 8, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Thank you Audrey! I appreciate you giving it a visit.

5. Melanie Chisnall May 8, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Great tribute to Janine, Bill! She totally deserves to be mentioned. If I think of her blog all those months ago when I first met her and what it’s turned into today I’m amazed. 🙂 I loved the picture today. Damnit. You’ve actually made me wish for a second (just a second) that it was summer time here and not autumn. One of my dreams is to rent a cabin somewhere near woods and a lake and just park off and have picnics, read, play soccer, etc in summer. In winter, I want to find a cabin also near a forest with snow all around, a cosy fireplace, and plenty of books to read and old movies to watch. Thanks for letting me dream a little bit today!

• Bill Holland May 8, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

Nice dream, Mel! Bev and I are aiming for a small cabin by a lake or river….maybe, if I ever sell some of my writing, we can have it. 🙂

Thank you my friend. You are as loyal as they come and I appreciate you.

6. pictimilitude May 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Good stuff here, BB! I like the new direction you’ve gone on and the points you bring into your posts! As soon as I get a chance to add you to my blogroll, I’ll be better about commenting regulalry, too. LOL

• Bill Holland May 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

Thanks lil’ Sis! Just trying to give back to the writing community that has been so good to me. 🙂