Be Your Own Writer

10 May

003Welcome back on this 10th day of May. I hope you are well and feeling your oats this morning.

Today let’s talk a bit about your writer’s voice.

Whether you realize it or not, you have a distinctive writer’s voice. I’m sure some of you are saying that you haven’t developed your voice yet, or you don’t know what it is yet, but the fact is that you are unique among writers and as such you have a unique voice.  Nobody writes exactly the way that you write.  I find that comforting and you should too.

Think about it!  There are seven billion people on this planet and nobody has your writer’s voice. Isn’t that remarkable?  Now true, you may not be pleased with your current voice, in which case start taking steps to change it.  What kind of voice do you want to have?  I faced this question about sixteen months ago, and one day it hit me that I wanted to develop a voice that was comfortable for my readers, as though we were sitting with each other having coffee….so I worked on that and I’m feeling pretty good about the results.

““Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.””

John Jakes

Again, we are discussing the writer’s voice.  Be yourself. Find the voice you want and cultivate it. In the end, being you is much better than being a counterfeit of someone else.

So, how do you find your voice?  Consider these tips:

1)      Picture your audience and write to them. What does your audience look like? Who are they? What do they like? Now, how are you going to reach them? How do you need to present your information so they will understand?

2)      Experiment with different genres.  Give poetry a try.  Try personal essays and try narratives.  Who knows, you just might stumble upon something that works for you.

WRITER OF THE DAY

Meet my dear friend Eddy.  You can find her at HubPages by following this link.

If you want to read a distinct voice, read some of Eddy’s works. She makes her readers feel like they are sitting in the garden with her, sipping tea and speaking of beautiful things.  I promise you will enjoy her work.

BOOK OF THE DAY

Would you like to read a book about writer’s voice? Check out this one on Amazon.

Monarch Sculpture Park...Tenino July 2011 082

Try a little writing exercise with this picture.  Write one stanza in poetry about what you see here.  Then write one paragraph of a personal essay.  Just a little practice that might help you develop that voice.

VIDEO OF THE DAY

I love this video of Quentin Tarantino discussing writer’s voice. You can see it here on YouTube.

AND THAT’S IT FOR THIS WEEK

I will be back on Monday with another installment of Artistry With Words. I hope this blog today helped to clarify a few things concerning your writer’s voice.  Without it we are nothing. J

Have a great weekend my friends and as always, thank you for visiting my humble site.

11 Responses to “Be Your Own Writer”

1. Janine Huldie May 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Love Eddy so much and so happy to see her featured here today. Yet again totally preaching to the choir on following her. Hope you have a great weekend abd Happy Mother’s Day to Bev, again!! 🙂

• Bill Holland May 10, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Thank you Janine and Happy Mother’s Day to you as well.

2. Livingsta May 10, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

Hi Bill, this is inspiring and motivating. I have never thought about this uniqueness in everyone’s writing. I am also striving to be better with my writings. Thank you for your words of advice and encouragement always, as they are very helpful.
    And, Eddy is a wonderful writer. I have always thought of, how she comes up with such a beautiful flow of words
    Thank you for sharing this with us my friend. You have a lovely weekend too.

• Billybuc May 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Thank you my dear for such a lovely comment. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that it is filled with beauty and happiness.

• Livingsta May 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

3. BNadyn May 10, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Great tip about finding your writer’s voice…it made me think about it and I think I’m still looking for mine. I think experimenting with different genres is a great way to start. I’ve enjoyed the qoutes & tips every day on here and I’ve come to enjoy Eddy’s writing also.

Looking forward to Monday’s tips…until then, enjoy your weekend!

• Bill Holland May 10, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Thank you so much. I’m glad you are finding these helpful. Have a great weekend yourself.

4. pictimilitude May 10, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

You know, until I realized that I can only write about things that sing to my soul, I struggled. It wasn’t that I DIDN’T, but when I wrote more for HubPages, I would do keyword research and all those how-to articles that they like kind of bored me. Now that I’m doing what only feels good in terms of my writing and in what I create, I feel like I’m soaring to new heights. Awesome stuff here. 🙂

• Bill Holland May 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

True words, Cyndi. My first couple hubs were rubbish…how to prepare a home for sale. LOL Gag me! Then I started writing personal essays and I found my love of writing…I’m never going back to the old days, lil’ Sis.

5. Audrey Hunt May 10, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Bill ~ When I’m inspired I can accomplish anything. And you are both motivating and inspiring. I’m thrilled to have found your blog and will be knocking at your door begging to be “let in to Bill’s world.”

• Billybuc May 10, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

Audrey, you are welcome in my world any old day and twice on Sunday. LOL Thanks for finding me.

blessings and love,