Face Your Fears In Writing

23 May

003Happy Thursday to all of you!

What are you up to today? Are you working on an article? A book? Have you submitted anything lately?  That’s what we writers do you know….we write and we submit.

Are you ready for some pearls of wisdom?

You can’t get published if you don’t submit your work.

There, how was that for a firm grasp of the obvious?  Seriously, though, I personally know a few writers who have not submitted their work because they do not believe they are “ready” for that step.

Hello????  When will you be ready?  What’s the worst thing that can happen if you submit?  You will be rejected, which means you join the company of other rejected writers like Hemingway, Blake, Alcott and yes, Stephen King.

Stop making excuses and send your work to some magazines and publishers.  The process takes all of a half hour.  Can you spare a half hour of your life to open some doors of possibility?

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn’t give it up because by that time I was too famous.”~Robert Benchley

Come on…that’s a great quote!  Talk about self-effacing and humble…..I love this guy’s attitude and his great sense of self-worth.

There is an interesting truth in this quote. I have said often that being published is often times a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I have also mentioned that I have read some terrible books by some terrible authors, and it is true…..and still, they were published.  One can only surmise that they were in the right place at the right time. How else could they have gotten published? The writing gods were smiling on them that particular day.

We must believe in ourselves. Rejections come and rejections go, but our belief in our ability must never waver.

SITE AND FORUM OF THE DAY

The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America can be found here.

This really is a great site if you are interested in this genre.  You can hang with like-minded folks. You can join the forums and you can get constructive feedback on your writing.

GUEST BLOGGER TIP OF THE DAY

From Liz Davis:

“Whether you’re writing fiction or memoir, face your fears. Talk about the issues in your life that you try to avoid, whether it be a character flaw, a painful memory, or something else that keeps you up at night. This not only creates tension that keeps your readers hooked, but it also works as a healing process.”

You can find Lizzy on HubPages here.

Thank you Liz!

SECOND BLOGGER TIP OF THE DAY

From my good friend Kelly from HubPages:

“.I try to rewrite and delete unnecessary words. I go through and always make sure I don’t have double negatives or extra junk words!”

And I thank you, Kelly!

WRITING PROMPT OF THE DAY

A man walks into his favorite watering hole looking dejected.  The bartender asks him what’s the problem….he says……

PICTURE PROMPT OF THE DAY

IMG_0208

No Yellowstone today….this one is from Alaska….enjoy the majesty that is Denali and hopefully it will shake loose some words for you.

MORE TOMORROW

Yes, tomorrow is Friday and that will be our last effort for the week. I hope you found something in this post that was helpful.  If not, sorry about that; keep checking back and hopefully I’ll give you something you need in later posts.

14 Responses to “Face Your Fears In Writing”

1. pictimilitude May 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

all right, all right! I’ll get my danged book published. LOL. I hope you have a good day, Big Bro. You rock, you know. 🙂

• Bill Holland May 23, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Get with it, Cyndi! Sheez, quit doing nothing and get in gear. LOL Like you have any spare time. 🙂 Thanks lil’ Sis.

2. Liz May 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

It depends. Does the guy have a parrot on his shoulder?

You find the best quotes. They always make me laugh.

Thanks, Billy. You da best.

• Bill Holland May 23, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Lizzy, there you go again with the parrot jokes. 🙂 Thanks for giving me your tip….now go to the beach and have fun for me.

3. Janine Huldie May 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Lol, seriously just chuckled at Cyndi’s comment, because that is so how I feel right now. Just need a bit more energy and time though. Yes, I know it is an excuse, but I am already so busy and occupied from my kids, husband and family at times that I I guess I am trying not to take anymore time from them right now. Loved seeing Kelly here and she truly is one of my favorites. Happy Thursday!! 🙂

• Bill Holland May 23, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

Janine, you and Cyndi have valid excuses. There are those, though, who sit around and dreams while watching soap operas and never do a thing about it….those people need a serious kick in the butt. 🙂

4. Kelly Umphenour May 23, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks so much Bill! I really love that you started with that Tip of the day! I know I need to listen. You’re a great teacher Bill…it carries here and I really appreciate it. I need the help. Thanks for the mention also – I am honored!

• Bill Holland May 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Kelly, I only include people who I respect, and that most definitely includes you. Thank you for doing the last minute thing and helping me out.

5. Ruchira May 24, 2013 at 4:05 am #

Well said, bill

I love the quote…failures could lead to success in some way or the other. The pix was beautiful.
    You always give a jolt to my thinking on writing.
    Have a good evening!

• Bill Holland May 24, 2013 at 4:13 am #

Thank you Ruchira! We all need a jolt now and then. 🙂 Have a great weekend.

6. phoenix2327 May 24, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Hello, Bill.

Serendipity again. You’ve just written a common sense post about the fear of submitting work, and I just received ‘The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook’ from Amazon today. (The UK equivalent of ‘Writer’s Market.’) I’ve got the story. I’ve got the Bible. All the pieces are in place apart from the nerve to actually post it off. I know rejection is part and parcel of the writing game but it still doesn’t make it any easier.

Actually, this isn’t the first time I’ve submitted something to a magazine. I sent a rant once about the demise of the dining table and family time. Ten months later I got an email that the piece had been accepted. The rational me says, ‘It’s happened once, it could happen again. And if it doesn’t, so what. Just because one publisher rejects it, doesn’t mean they all will.’ And yet, I find myself stricken with stage fright.

Does it ever get any easier?

• Billybuc May 24, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Phoenix, I wish I could say it gets easier but that’s up to the individual. I quit submitting for several months after my first ten rejections…..then one day I decided I was either going to commit to this business or get out of it altogether….so I kicked myself in the butt and told myself it was time…..

Since then the rejections have not deterred me. I believe if a writer is good at their craft that eventually they will get published, but giving up is not an option.

Good luck to you my friend. If I can ever be of assistance just let me know.

7. Melanie Chisnalll May 24, 2013 at 9:34 am #

Lovely snowy picture today, Bill. You’re right about the fear of submitting something for publication. It’s overwhelming. Especially after yesterday. But I picked myself up and am ready to go again. I’m waiting on some experts to send me information so that I can quote them and then I’ll finish my article and send it. Oh the terror. Lol. Hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend.

• Bill Holland May 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Melanie, you are a good writer and yes, even good writers get rejected….this is not a punishment but rather the first step in a new direction for your profession. Embrace it and good luck.