Writers Need To Relax

7 Jun

003Good morning all you fine folks!  How are you this lovely Friday morning?

Another week of our writing career has ended.  Has it been productive for you? Have you accomplished what you planned on accomplishing?

I admit to being a slacker this week.  Oh, I finished what needed to be finished, but my desire to do anything extra was missing and you know what? That’s okay!

There are times we have to give ourselves permission to just walk away from the computer and enjoy life.  There are times when the words just aren’t there, or we are tired mentally, and those are the times when we need to enjoy nature or the company of loved ones.

Remember that writing is supposed to be fun, but so is life.  Seek a little balance and it will benefit your writing in the long run.

Now this relaxation of the mind from work consists on playful words or deeds. Therefore it becomes a wise and virtuous man to have recourse to such things at times.
Thomas Aquinas

I figure if Thomas Aquinas needed to kick back on occasion and do nothing, then I should probably follow his lead.  I wonder if Thomas was a fun-loving guy?  A real party animal???

Give yourselves permission to stop and smell the roses.  Nothing more need be said, right?

CONTEST OF THE DAY

The Writer’s Digest yearly competition is being held now through June 30th.  There are ten genres included in this contest and you can read about it here.

poor girl

You know the drill by now. Look at the picture and then get inspired….come on, you can do it….what do you see? How do you feel?

RANDOM THOUGHTS OF THE DAY

This is a new section. I just thought of it. I’m going to unload my brain of totally unconnected thoughts, so if that sounds boring go have a beer or something until I finish.

• It occurs to me that the word “writer” is a nebulous one at best. There are those who just write for their own entertainment and emotional release.  There are those who write SEO content articles. There are those who write novels and there are those who just write for HP or for magazines or blogs. One size does not fit all when we are giving out tips and suggestions.
  • If you are trying to make money in this writing business, you must build a platform, and that has to be one of your priorities.
  • My English teacher in high school told me that the introduction was the most important section in any writing.  He was correct in his assessment….the 10 Second Rule!
  • He also told me that the conclusion needs to always tie into the introduction.  Tie up your writing in a nice, neat package and your readers will be appreciative.
  • There are days when I do not come close to my best in writing…that’s when I have to remind myself that I am only human.
  • Steinbeck spent seven years writing in obscurity before selling his first magazine article….seven years!  How do you feel about your progress now?

AND THAT’S ALL FOR TODAY

Hey, it’s Friday. I’ve got a few more things to nail down today and then I need to shut my brain down and take the weekend off….and you should do the same.

I really appreciate you all stopping by. I hope this blog is helpful.  You’ll notice that I don’t try to sell anything here. There are no ads.  I want you to just come here and hopefully find something you can use in your writing journey.  I firmly believe that we are peers and not competition. I hope you feel the same.

Have a great weekend and I’ll see you on Monday!

21 Responses to “Writers Need To Relax”

1. katstrat June 7, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Wow, so much information and advice for us, and yet you don’t try to sell anything. You are a very good man!
    My week was very unproductive until yesterday. Now I feel motivated and inspired, and I have a few days free to do more.
    Have a wonderful weekend, my friend. You deserve it. I hope the weather is prettier out there than it is here. Although rain certainly has its purpose, and can be pretty.
    ~ Kathryn

2. Janine Huldie June 7, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Bill, writing is so supposed to be fun, but I had Lily sick again this week and will still coming off all the craziness from last week. So I will admit this week, I too did what I needed to do, but not the extras like many I am capable of. I am so with you on needing to enjoy this weekend and after two nights of being up with Lily, I am so tired today. And just cannot wait to take a break from it all. Hope you too get some much needed rest and relaxation (you deserve it) and have a wonderful weekend!!! 🙂

• Bill Holland June 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Janine, I remember those days well and I have to admit I do not miss them. Get some well-deserved rest my friend and I hope you can enjoy the weekend.

• Bill Holland June 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Kathryn, the weather has been gorgeous here for June, not usually one of our nicest months. In the seventies every day and beautiful sunshine…I hope you catch a break soon with the weather. Thank you for your kind words and have a great weekend.

3. Livingsta June 7, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

Thank you for this on a Friday afternoon. I agree with every word you have written here. There are times when I have fallen asleep over my laptop while proof-reading my written work and sometimes even when writing up something, and then had to sit and redo everything over again. What a waste of time! If only I had used that time to relax or sleep! I have wondered so many times. It is sometimes so tiring to sit down to write after coming back from work, but I do not excuse myself sometimes. Thank you again Bill for reminding this, that writers need to relax. I wish you a happy Friday and a wonderful relaxing weekend. Sending you smiles and blessings.
    Dahlia 🙂

• Bill Holland June 7, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Dahlia, I need to follow my own advice. LOL There are so many things I want to accomplish, but I have to give myself permission to step away from it all and take a deep breath.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy your weekend.

• Livingsta June 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

I totally agree! I need to practice this too and so does every writer! Thank you Bill 🙂

4. Clear-eyed Sky June 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

I read recently that your brain encounters waves of productivity and rest–it’s natural that at times the good ideas keep pouring in while at other times you can’t even think. I guess it’s best to take advantage of your down times by following your brain’s lead and taking a break. Of course, if you’re in a down-swing all the time you have a problem!

• Bill Holland June 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

Lizzy, that would be called death, wouldn’t it? LOL Have a great weekend my Dynamo friend.

• Clear-eyed Sky June 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Yes. And it’s tough to meet deadlines when you’re dead. So don’t do it. What were we talking about? LOL

5. pictimilitude June 7, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Yes…relaxing…I seem to be challenged in that area, yet I know the extreme value of it. I’ll try to do that at least a little bit when we’re at the beach next week. 🙂

• Bill Holland June 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

Cyndi, right about now the beach sounds marvelous. Have a great time there and thank you for always being here.

6. ruchira June 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

I agree as usual with you, Bill

Writing should be fun and I find it so therapeutic. Creativity can only come via this.

Happy Friday!

• Bill Holland June 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

True words, Ruchira! Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.

7. mommyincolor June 9, 2013 at 4:13 am #

Have a good weekend!!!

8. keithdubarry June 9, 2013 at 5:09 am #

I always follow the old saying of “Work six days, relax the 7th.” Sundays are a good day to relax after a long week of work! Thanks for sharing Bill!

• Billybuc June 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Keith, I was going seven days a week for over a year and just recently shut down on weekends. I need to stop writing for two days so I can write for many years to come. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by, buddy.

• keithdubarry June 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

No problem, Bill! I usually write for six days a week, and sundays are my day to read books and just enjoy myself. It’s always important to have a day off! See you soon,

Keith

9. Melanie Chisnall June 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Relax….yes, you are so right about that one. I think as writers we put a hell of a lot of pressure on ourselves when writing from home because we feel that we have to. We have so much to prove and doing anything else but writing and marketing ourselves to death is being lazy and unproductive. But you know what? No one works like that – only workaholics who send themselves to an early grave or who don’t have families waiting at home for them. I put too much pressure on myself sometimes, so I’m learning to keep reminding myself exactly what you’ve just written here. That I am human. It’s okay to have bursts of creativity and productivity that doesn’t happen every minute of the day. Super post Bill, happy weekend and thank you for the email. I appreciate your support and wise words. You’ve already helped me so much. 🙂

• Bill Holland June 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

Mel, I have not written a word all weekend. I admit, there have been a couple times when I almost went to the computer to write, but I forced myself to not go there…..I need down time. I’m 64 and feel like time is running out for me but still, I need to stop and take a deep breath.

I hope you had a wonderful weekend my friend. Thank you and you are very welcome.