Is There A Freshness In Your Writing?

12 Jun

003And Happy Wednesday!  For some it is Wordless Wednesday, but that would be rather silly on a writing site now wouldn’t it?  Wordless Wednesday on a writer’s site would be a blank sheet of paper, right?

What shall we talk about today? I’m running a little bit late, which is an amusing statement since I am the boss of this business and my schedule is never etched in stone.  The truth is, though, that I always feel like I’m late.  I have so much to do….so much I want to accomplish….and I always feel the self-imposed pressure to accomplish just one more thing.  Sigh!

So what kind of pressure do you put on yourself?  Are you ever satisfied with your work? Sometimes? All the time? Do you feel like there are still a great many things to do with your writing career, or have you accomplished what you want to accomplish?

A classic is classic not because it conforms to certain structural rules, or fits certain definitions (of which its author had quite probably never heard). It is classic because of a certain eternal and irrepressible freshness.

Edith Wharton (1862 – 1937)

Hmmmm….an eternal and irrepressible freshness. I like that definition of a classic.  There are many good writers today, but for the most part they just put a new coat of paint on an old story.  I like that definition, and looking back at the classics I can see that most definitely.

Use commas to control the rhythm of your writing.  The comma is a deep breath…it is a way to slow things down a bit in a sentence that definitely needs slowing down.

CONTEST OF THE DAY

The Wild Light Poetry Contest is now taking submissions, and the good news is the deadline is October 15th, so you have a lot of time to work on your piece.  Find contest guidelines here.

san juan

You know how to do it. Look at the picture above and hope for inspiration.  I hope you find some. J

MORE TOMORROW

Adios…Aloha….and catch you down the road of life.  I only have one-hundred more things to do today, so I’d best get busy.  Have a great day and remember to seek that irrepressible freshness in your writing.

10 Responses to “Is There A Freshness In Your Writing?”

1. Janine Huldie June 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Oh I know the feeling quite well that I am always feeling like I am late or behind one something even when I feel like I just caught up. And the usage of commas has always plagued me a bit (I admit this freely). So when I write and I edit I make sure to check and double check on that for sure. Thanks as always Bill and hoping you are having a wonderful Wednesday now!! 🙂

• Bill Holland June 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Janine, I am hopelessly behind today but oh well. At some point all you can do it throw your hands up, take a deep breath, and slow down and enjoy the ride. 🙂 Thank you my dear and I hope your Wednesday is a good one as well.

2. ruchira June 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I keep asking myself every time I post a blog…hoping that it is not redundant. Boring the reader is not a good idea…lol

Happy Wednesday, Bill

Wise words indeed 🙂

• Bill Holland June 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Ruchira, I have the same concerns when I’m doing a hub….it is a constant battle my friend, and a constant challenge that I enjoy.

3. Kelly June 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

Thank you once again, Bill. 🙂 You know you must be a terrific blogger when the reader leaves feeling as if they just got a free lesson. I am glad to have your inspiration each day, I really am.

I always think of the comma as a nice pause in the rhythm. I do tend to over use punctuation I think. I comb it out in the end but still, I resort to it’s power, much to often. lol

• Kelly June 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

I mean much *too often*….oh, dear.

• Billybuc June 12, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

LOL..I wonder how many times I make that mistake?

• Billybuc June 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

Kelly, I am quite pleased if this blog helps other writers. That’s the whole point for me. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by.

4. Melanie Chisnall June 13, 2013 at 6:23 am #

Believe it or not, I’m focusing a lot more on giving myself credit for what I’m doing right now. Yes…it never seems like enough, but this constant beating myself up about it isn’t doing me any good. Thanks for the reminder! 🙂 Lovely post today as always.

• Bill Holland June 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Mel, I am so glad to hear that. There are days I want to reach across the 6000 miles and give you a hug of encouragement. Keep believing my talented friend.