Writing Equals Dedication, Determination and Effort

13 Jun

003I was thumbing through a 1956 issue of the Saturday Evening Post the other day, and talk about an eye-opener.  Practically the entire magazine was comprised of short stories written by writers just like us, and I felt an instant kinship with those writers of old.

In many ways it was a far simpler time to be a writer.  There were no distractions by technology.  You either had what it takes to get published or you didn’t.  No ebooks, no online writing sites…I wondered what percentage of writes actually got published then as opposed to now.  Probably tens of thousands of would-be writers were bent over their typewriters, pounding out word after word, hoping against hope that they would be the next Hemingway.

It is obviously much easier today to get “published,” but the dedication that is necessary to succeed really hasn’t changed.

The other thing I thought about was how technology has become somewhat of a distraction with regards to writing.  Those of you who write for HubPages understand this.  Not only do you write your article, but you then pick out photographs and videos for the article, as well as make polls and seek out the perfect ads for the article.  All of that is well and good if you are the management of HubPages, but how does it help you as a writer?  It may increase your views, although I am not convinced of that, but does it all make you a better writer?

Just something to think about as you begin this 13th day of June, 2013.  Welcome to Artistry With Words!

We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.
Jesse Owens

I couldn’t decide between this quote and one by Vince Lombardi.  They both basically say the same thing, that achieving your goals in writing requires determination and one heck of a work ethic.

But maybe that isn’t true.  There are some out there who are quite happy to just pour out their thoughts for posterity, not really caring if they are ever published….kind of like an online diary if you will.  There are so many different types of writers with so many different goals. Maybe it is an exercise in futility to try and blanket them all with one concept like determination and work ethic.  Again, just something to think about.

I am working more and more on including metaphors in my writing. I think they are a highly effective way of getting a point across.  If you haven’t tried them you might give it some thought.

SITE OF THE DAY

I found this cool article on how to write metaphors….you can find it here.  Check it out because there are some great suggestions there.

BOOK OF THE DAY

What a clever book this is….”I Never Metaphor I Didn’t Like”….you can find it at Barnes & Noble here.

rain

Here you go, your visual inspiration for the day.  I hope it kicks something loose in your brain and starts you on the road to a great article.

MORE, OF COURSE, TOMORROW

Yes, tomorrow…blessed Friday.  I will be switching gears a bit after this week and just posting this blog three days a week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I’m sure many of you are cheering right now. J  Seriously, I need to cut back a bit and start concentrating on magazine submissions.  So there will be a blog tomorrow and then starting next week there will be one every other weekday.

Thank you as always for stopping by. I hope you found something of interest.

15 Responses to “Writing Equals Dedication, Determination and Effort”

1. Janine Huldie June 13, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Bill, totally understand about cutting back a bit. Posting articles on two blogs and doing design work too has me realizing something had to give sometimes and am in the process of seeing what I can do, too. I love how honest you are here and wish you tons of success on the magazine article submissions!! 🙂

• Bill Holland June 13, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks Janine! I go full force until I can’t go any longer, and then I realize maybe I need to change something. LOL

2. howmyspiritsings June 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Hi Bill,
    I’m glad to see that i am not the only one who seems to over commit. I can’t wait to learn more about metaphors!

• Bill Holland June 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

No, you definitely are not the only one to over-commit…I do it almost daily. LOL Thanks for the visit.

3. Kathryn Stratford June 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks for letting us know you’re cutting back. It is always nice to read your articles, but three times a week is plenty! I can only imagine how hard it must be to get everything done, and remain focused on what is important.
    When you mentioned how writing on HubPages has a lot more to it than only writing- such as the photos, and the polls, etc- I think one thing about people nowadays is that when we are reading online, we are visual, and like to interact. Not just read. So it makes it harder for the true writer to focus on only their writing skills, because they have to worry about making the page look nice. I like that aspect, but at the same time it adds a lot of extra time to the article-forming process.
    Thanks again for another great post. One more day until the weekend! It doesn’t seem like it to me, because this week my schedule is wonky. I am working on Friday and Saturday (when I usually have off), and having days off when I usually work. Take care!

• Bill Holland June 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Kathryn, did you really use the word “wonky” in a sentence? LOL I haven’t seen that word in a long time.

You are right, of course, about the visual aspect of online reading…it is a reality we all have to accept and learn if we are to succeed….although the writing purist in me hates it. 🙂

Have a great day my friend.

4. Clear-eyed Sky June 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Islands in the stream. That is what we are.

Metaphor magic 😀

• Bill Holland June 13, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

Lizzy, you are much too smart to be a writer. 🙂 I mean that as a sincere compliment.

• Clear-eyed Sky June 14, 2013 at 3:22 am #

Thank you, Billy! I’m not sure what that means, but thank you anyway. And now we can never meet because then you will learn how wrong you are. 😀

5. Russ Moran June 13, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

Well done Bill. True, the Internat and places like our old friend Hubpages have taken the friction away from an idea and it showing up in print – Struggling isn’t necessary – Just a good knowledge of SEO. Some of the semi literate posts on Hubpages makes this obvious. You are right, writing does take determination and effort and determination. OR just knowing how to manipulate search engines with drivel. Russ

• Bill Holland June 13, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

LOL….Russ, your last line was the best. Thanks for stopping by and for the laugh.

6. ruchira June 13, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

Any action taken on with full force and dedication ought to give success…but sometimes not!

I am bouncing back and forth thanks to your inspirational words…thanks Bill .
    Once again congrats on another article for a magazine…just a few more steps until you reach the top, my friend.

I am watching ya 🙂

• Bill Holland June 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Ruchira, we can only hope and keep working hard….I don’t know what else to do. Thank you as always my friend. You are so loyal and supportive and I appreciate you greatly.

7. Melanie Chisnall June 14, 2013 at 6:43 am #

And that my friend is exactly why I am no longer writing for HubPages. I found about 10 of my articles yesterday that have been unpublished due to “low quality”. Can you believe that?! They’re really getting ridiculous with their rules. I used to get around 800 views a day. Now I’m lucky if I get 300. No thanks. Starting today, I’m taking off my hubs and I’ll be posting them over time on each of the 3 blogs. Such a pity because I loved HP when I started there. Not sure what’s going on now, but it’s lost a lot of the community and feel-good stuff it used to have. It’s more about Google this and Google that. Anyways, enough rambling…have an awesome weekend!! It’s a 3 day weekend here and I can’t wait!!!

• Bill Holland June 14, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Mel, it used to depress me when my friends left HP, but it doesn’t any longer. I can understand and I applaud the move….as long as I get to stay friends with them, I could care less about HP. For me, HP is all about community…they can take their keywords and shove them.

Have a great weekend my friend and enjoy that holiday.