Planting The Seeds Of Your Writing Career

12 Jul

003Happy Friday to all of you. I hope you all have some relaxing and fun plans for this weekend.  I don’t have a clue what Bev and I are doing this weekend but I’m already looking forward to it.  We both work hard during the week so we like to enjoy ourselves on the weekends….and I hope you do that for yourselves as well.

Read the quote below and then we’ll chat some more.

Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
Robert Louis Stevenson

This is such an important thing to keep in mind as you write, especially if you have visions of success coming your way eventually through your writing.

I have a long-range plan for my writing career and I rarely deviate from it. Everything I do is aimed towards that plan, so that in a very real sense I am planting seeds daily.

Bev and I planted some crocosmia this past May.  We see them all over the neighborhood and we love their delicate flowers, so we decided to plant some bulbs and see what would happen.  Well, what happened was three months of not much…the bulbs sent up green shoots, but no flowers appeared….and the weeks passed and no flowers appeared….and then….

Today the first buds appeared and in a few days we will be enjoying those delicate flowers and rejoicing in the patience we showed.

And that’s the lesson today.  Success in writing does not happen overnight, but if you have a plan then you can rejoice daily in knowing that you are building towards success daily.

Plant the seeds….the flowers will follow.

Surround yourself with positive, supportive people.  Whether it be family, friends, or online writers, you need to have some positive vibes coming your way to sustain you through the tough times.

004

I love this picture. I don’t know about you, but my mind is always in writing mode. We will go for a drive and I’ll see something that suddenly flips a switch in my brain, and I’ll think about how I could write a description of that thing I just saw.  I love it when that happens.

A BREAK FOR YOU AND ME

That’s all today. No sites of the day….no contests of the day….no book of the day….just a sincere thank you for being here.  I will be back Monday doing that thing I do. In the meantime, have a great weekend.

17 Responses to “Planting The Seeds Of Your Writing Career”

1. Janine Huldie July 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Oh definitely hope you and Bev have a wonderful weekend. We have the girls starting soccer for the first time ever tomorrow and then Emma’s 4th Birthday party with her pre-school friends in the afternoon. And as always Kevin is off on Monday. So sure it will be busy and action packed on this end, too!! Enjoy 🙂

• Billybuc July 12, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Sounds like a great weekend and I hope it’s a good one for you. Enjoy, Janine, and rest up for a full week of writing next week.

2. Mark Weller July 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

That is a gorgeous photo Bill, I can see myself there. You and Bev have a great weekend!

• Billybuc July 12, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Walking down a country road, Mark…about ten minutes outside of Olympia.

Thanks buddy and I hope your weekend is a good one too.

3. Shauna July 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Bill, my mom is a certified Master Gardener. She has themed gardens encmpassing her acre of property that abuts a Mangrove Preserve in South Florida. She has designed them and done all the work herself and still does at age 75! Her gardens are featured several times a year on garden tours. One woman was so impressed she wrote and published a picture book about my mom’s property called, “Who is to Say This is Not Heaven”. My mom sent me a copy and wrote this message inside the cover:

“Shauna,

Whether it is the seed of a flower or the seed of an idea – plant it and watch it grow!

Love,
    Mom”

I thought this very befitting of today’s message. Enjoy your weekend, my friend!

• Billybuc July 12, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Sha, the perfect comment about this hub….being successful in any undertaking takes time and effort…I don’t know any other way to make it in any business.

Have a great weekend.

love,
      bill

• Shauna July 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

That’s why I shared my mom’s message, although I should have proofed before hitting send! My mom always looks at life as a seed to be planted by your actions and to watch what is cultivated by your efforts. What an awesome role model!

4. Shauna July 12, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

forgot to click on follow comments. Doing it now!

• Billybuc July 12, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

For sure she is, Sha. 🙂

5. Maria Ruiz July 13, 2013 at 12:26 am #

I think this is the first time I will comment here. I need to say that you have a fan here in Puerto Rico. May God bless you more than we are blessed by you. Thanks for sharing your words, your lovely wife and your garden.

• Billybuc July 13, 2013 at 3:31 am #

Maria, what a lovely thing for you to say. Thank you, and may God always bless you and Greg and may you always know happiness and love.

6. ruchira July 13, 2013 at 2:27 am #

I agree Bill

Being surrounded by positive people helps. Especially in this arena where dejection is just a block away. I am glad to be surrounded by humble and amazing writers (including you) who uplift my spirits.

Thank you once again for being around.

Have a good weekend.
    btw, just the thought of relaxing with your better half and family makes the weekend sound so wonderful…plans don’t matter 🙂

• Billybuc July 13, 2013 at 3:25 am #

Ruchira, I couldn’t agree more my friend. Negative people drain me and I refuse to be around them any longer. Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

7. angel_uriel July 13, 2013 at 3:05 am #

I love this post… and it came to my inbox just in the right time… Mistake after mistake have been flooding me lately. Maybe these are the seeds I planted a long time ago when I didn’t focus.. But now, I see my fault and will strive everyday to do better.. Thanks, Billybuc.. This post really built me up today.. Have a great weekend! 🙂

• Billybuc July 13, 2013 at 3:23 am #

angel, what a great comment…and I love your attitude. No mistakes…just opportunities to learn. 🙂

8. Melanie Chisnall July 15, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Positive people = positive energy. I only learnt last year that I was letting people drain that energy from me with their negativity and constant complaining. Thankfully I’ve found a way to deal with them. It’s a headache and a little stressful to do at first (for me anyway…distancing, letting go, confronting, etc.), but once it’s done, I feel so much better. It’s really for the best. Hope you’re kicking and ready for the new week…I am!

• Billybuc July 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Mel, it is stressful and painful, but our first responsibility is to ourselves….and yes, once it is done, life is so much better.

I am ready to go this week, Mel; I’m firing on all cylinders and the creativity is flowing. Good luck with your week my friend.