Marketing Your Writing

7 Aug

003Welcome back and Happy Wednesday!

It’s been quite a busy and hectic week for me, and I’m already looking forward to the weekend.

Today we’ll talk briefly about marketing.  How many of you have an unlimited marketing budget for your writing business, or for that matter any business you might have?  That’s what I thought…funds are a bit scarce, aren’t they?

A writer has to be quite ingenious in marketing his/her skills and product.  There are what, millions of writers out there, and they are all after a piece of the public pie, and that’s some serious competition…and few of us are lucky enough to have a major publishing firm to market our books…so it falls in our laps to do it.

I have written several articles about the marketing aspect of this business, but it all boils down to being creative and being persistent.  There are opportunities out there for you, but you have to want them bad enough to go find them.

Marketing is what you do when your product is no good.
Edwin Land

Yes, I’m laughing at that quote, but I’m also cringing, because all I have to do is look around at some of the products on the market to know this is true.

And it is true in the writing world. I am reminded of an author I once read religiously…Robert Parker, the author of quite a few “Spenser” mysteries.  Mr. Parker’s earlier works were quite good, but eventually it appeared that he was just going through the motions with his books. The plots were mundane at best, and the characters became stale and boring.  Once that point was reached, marketing was a major factor in getting those later books to sell.

Market locally and then spread out from there. Go to bookstores and libraries and ask to do readings and book signings.  Those places love local authors and they are always quite willing to give you time.  You might also contact local schools and ask them if their English teachers would like to have a local author stop by and discuss writing with the students.

SITE OF THE DAY

Writers Marketing is a site designed just for this topic and it gives some interesting and helpful tips about marketing.  You can find them here.

FUNDS FOR THE DAY

The NEA gives a series of grants to artists/writers and you might qualify.  You can find their site here.

england

I hope you find these prompts helpful.  Who knows where inspiration will come from, right?

I GUESS THAT’S ALL FOR TODAY

I hope you have a productive day, and thank you for stopping by.  Remember, you are always invited to do a guest blog for me about writing, or just share a comment about the subject of writing if you don’t feel like writing an entire blog.  Send it to my email address at holland1145@yahoo.com.

Thanks and have a great day!

8 Responses to “Marketing Your Writing”

1. Janine Huldie August 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

So true Bill and I am constantly trying to think out of the box on this. Thank you for the tips as always and I am so with you that I am ready for the weekend now, too!!

• Billybuc August 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

Janine, thinking out of the box is the only way to make it in this writing gig, unless your name happens to be Mark Twain or Edgar Allan Poe of course. 🙂 Thanks my friend!

2. Melanie Chisnall August 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Haha! That’s actually true. The good products/services market themselves via word of mouth. The problem though is, how do they little guys (us) or the ones just starting out get that to happen. I’ve found that I need to market to everyone (on all social media platforms but not Google + because I still don’t get it) in order to get more people reading what I’ve written. Sadly, I can’t trust my family and friends – as much as I love them – to help me spread the word, because they wont. That’s why I rely on social media so much, but I have definitely toned it down a lot! Love the advice as I’ve said before about reading in local libraries, etc. Great idea.

• Billybuc August 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Mel, isn’t it interesting that family can’t be counted on? I’ve found that to be true in my own case as well. Nice to see you here so late; thank you Mel, and I hope that new job is going well for you.

3. ruchira August 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Marketing is very important and I still gotta learn to come out from my shell. Gotta shed those inhibitions since I don’t have extra cash to get it done from an outer source…It is gotta be ME.

Wise words, again 🙂

Happy Hump day, Bill

• Billybuc August 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Happy Hump Day to you Ruchira! It must be hard writing while in a shell. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by my friend.

4. Kelly Umphenour August 8, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

I still feel like I need more practice before I really market…I’m working on it…slow but sure:). Thanks to all your tips!

• Billybuc August 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

Kelly, you’ll know when the time is right. Good luck and have a great weekend…and thank you!