Writers Who Seek Quality

2 Sep

003And a very Happy Monday to you!  Shall we get started?

Let’s talk about online writing sites that promise you passive income. That seems to be a hot topic these days.

Listen up, and hopefully everyone will understand me this time when I say this….I have nothing against online sites like HubPages or Bubblews.  I have nothing against passive income.  I know some friends who make a few hundred bucks a month writing for sites like those and I say congratulations and well done!  But that’s not why I write for HubPages, so all of this whining about Panda and lost income goes in one ear and out the other with me.  It simply does not affect me, and I’ll give you an economic reason why I don’t care.

I can make more selling one article to a magazine than I can make in three months of writing for HubPages or Bubblews.

Need I say more?

No, I have nothing against online writing sites, but I have major objections to poor writing and I always will have.  Writing 400 characters just for the sake of making fifty cents, with no quality control, is not writing…it is bean counting!

This is a writing site for serious writers, so let’s focus on writing.

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.
Aristotle

I have nothing to add to Aristotle’s words.

Throw nothing away.  Delete nothing.  An article that did not work the first time may very well work six months down the road.  Maybe it just needs a rest for you to see it differently.  Like a fine wine, allow it to breathe before you truly taste it.

SITE OF THE DAY

I am a big fan of The Writer’s Digest. I have mentioned this magazine before but it bears repeating.  You can find it here and it is loaded with great articles about this writing path we have chosen.

WRITER OF THE DAY

I give you a friend of mine who works hard…very hard…at improving her writing craft. She deserves your support and I ask you to give it to her.  Sha is her name…on HubPages her name is Bravewarrior…and you can find her website here.

Yes I believe in supporting each other. If we don’t then who will? I know writers who don’t even get support from their family members, so I think it is very important that we do whatever we can to help each other.  Mention some of these wonderful people in your next blog or in your next article.  Put their link on your website or blog.  Form a group of your favorite writers and support each other.

The writing pie is big enough for all of us; make sure you pass around a piece to your friends.

MORE ON WEDNESDAY WITH A GUEST BLOGGER

I’ll be back on Wednesday. Of course, if you are Jonesing for more writing tips, I’ll have articles about writing on Tuesday and Thursday this week on HubPages, so I hope to see you there as well….oh, right… you can find my HubPages site at http://billybuc.hubpages.com/.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

36 Responses to “Writers Who Seek Quality”

1. Kelly Umphenour September 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Thanks for the links to writers digest! I’ll be checking that out! Have a great holiday!

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Thanks, Kelly, for visiting on a holiday. You are very welcome and have a wonderful Labor Day. Barbecue?

2. Janine Huldie September 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

Couldn’t have said this better and you know I essentially agree with you on this topic. So, I think I have said my peace on this one. Enjoy the rest of this Monday and Labor Day now, too!

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Janine, if you are at peace then so am I. 🙂 Thanks Janine!

3. pictimilitude September 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Big Bro, you crack me up. I love your steadfast message that, from day to day, remains essentially the same: do good work.
    I, for one, am all but over online writing. It’s not that I don’t believe in it. I’ll still do it some (between school and teaching and volunteering and doing art or tutoring on the side) because I DO like to write. It’s just that I need to teach. I figured it out the year I spent writing. I need to interact. I need people. I need to leave my house. 🙂
    As for everyone trying the different websites, eh…I had fun with my tenure at HP, I’m not sure if I’ll write another hub. But when I write, I want it to be for my memoir and/or concrete things like magazines or educational publications. I feel like I can make far more of a difference that way (like you said, anyways).
    I’ll still be around online for sure. Just not like I used to be.
    And I hope you have a wonderful Monday.

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

Cyndi, I understand completely and I applaud your decision. I know that you need to follow your heart; we all do. This constant argument about the different sites….I think writers are missing the point, and that is to be a better writer. But what do I know? LOL

Happy Labor Day Cyndi!

• pictimilitude September 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Yeah, hehe. I figured you would – you’re a teacher, too. 🙂 Maybe when I’m older I’ll be more inclined to stick around the house. I kept feeling like life was passing me by whilst I sat between my four walls. I also kept thinking I wanted to further my education. Heck…they’re trying to convince me to get a PhD at school and teach college. For now, I’m content. For now, I have enough on my plate, lol.

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

I experienced life to a full extent and now I want to encourage others to do the same and wring every ounce of life out of this trip we are on. 🙂

4. froggy213 September 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Another great post my friend. Yes, it is easy to get caught in the trap of what is Hubpages doing, but it is all about the written word. We keep writing and the blessings will flow. Thanks friend.

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks Greg! I understand the frustration, but I also understand that we follow a higher calling. I’d hate to think what it would be like if some of the great writers of the past never wrote their masterpieces because of Google or HubPages.

5. pictimilitude September 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

It’s pretty amazing this journey. I’ll never stop learning, or exploring. It’s a part of me. Graduate degree? Okay…but if it turns out that I move to a ski area and use my Spanish there because it just sounded fun – well, then I’m experiencing life. hehehe. (Okay, I’m not thinking about doing that.)
    I’m so glad to know people like you, though. Your words and friendship across the months and now years have been inspiring. I’ll always stop by, I’ll always check in. 🙂
    But you’re right: we only have one shot at this. I can’t ever be complacent. So yes, I’ll embrace change if that means that my life is fuller because of it. 🙂
    And…alas…I have to finish my lesson plans. That’s one thing I’ve procrastinated on this weekend. I have them written…now I just need to create all the stuff for the activities. I guess I’d better go do that.
    So wonderful to chat for a bit. HUGS!

6. Heaven Leigh September 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Stopping in to say “Hello” and thank you for your wonderful words and the heart behind them.
    HP helped me formulate ideas into books, but as far a making a passive income it proved to be nothing. Cents-a-month. I am a misfit in the world of “How-to-hubs.” But it was a great learning tool.
    Thank you for your kind words for writers with little to no support from their families. I have such a huge extended family, but that’s the last place I can look for support or interest. When they don’t even know what you do because they cannot be bothered to look, it can be a driving factor for you. One day your work will be known worldwide and they will be embarrassed to say, “Oh! I never knew he/she could write like that!” 😉
    Thank you for the pointers and tips! Much appreciated.

Happy Labor Day and sharing on Facebook & Twitter.

Heaven

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Hi Leigh and thanks for stopping by. I’m glad to hear that you are still writing and the fire is still inside of you. We make friends on HP and that may be the greatest gift of that site…and one the founders probably never thought of. LOL Have a wonderful Labor Day and thanks again.

7. Shauna September 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Bill, I too subscribe to the Writer’s Digest. It’s packed full of information, contests, links to magazine including submission guidelines. I think every serious writer should subscribe to that wonderful site.

Thanx again for the shout out. I will be getting to my end of the promotional deal soon. Today, I’m nursing a hurt ankle that I’ve been walking on for a week. As the result, my entire foot is swollen up, so I’m staying off it and applying ice.

Enjoy your day! Hugs to you, Bev and all your critters!

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Sha, I help people because I like people…reciprocation is not my motivating factor.

Stay off that leg and I hope it feels better soon.

love,
      bill

8. Randee September 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

Hey Bill, I am learning more and more about this blogging and supporting each other and what all is going on out there. It’s quite the community! But man, do I have a lot of questions, too. Can you tell me what a pingback is? Later today, I will check into hubpages and discover something else new. Thanks, as always!

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Hey Randee….okay, first of all, what is your HubPages name? I’m having a bit of a brain freeze and if I knew it I sure don’t associate it with your real name of Randee.

Second, a pingback is a sort of link that tells you when someone else has linked your work elsewhere. 🙂

• Carol Stanley September 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

AS ALWAYS..GREAT ADVICE…YOU ARE THE WRITER’S BEST SUPPORT.

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Thank you Carol..that is high praise and it makes me feel good. 🙂

9. marcoujor September 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Hi Bill,

It took me long enough to sign up but what a lovely website…I am already following my Sista in crime, bravewarrior…but I also appreciate the link to Writer’s Digest, which I will be checking out. Meaningful post…thank you. Happy Labor Day. Love, Maria

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Thank you my dear friend Maria. It is always a pleasant visit when you stop by. Take what you need and leave the rest…that’s the only requirement here at my blog. 🙂

love,
      bill

10. Audrey Howitt September 2, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

I stopped by Brave Warrior’s site and loved it–thank you Bill

• Mark G Weller September 2, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

I couldn’t agree more Bill!

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Thanks Mark!

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

Thank you Audrey! I’m sure she appreciates it.

• Shauna September 2, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Thank you Audrey! I’m thrilled you stopped by my site.

11. ruchira September 2, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Great piece of advise, Bill
    Always inspiring writers to do their best…yeehaw!

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Thanks Ruchira! I hope you are having a lovely Labor Day!

12. Liz September 2, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

I hate counting beans. Especially lentils because they’re so tiny.

• Billybuc September 2, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

LOL…Lizzy, me too. I wonder what others think of your comments and my response to them? They probably wonder if reality has shifted just a bit. 🙂

• Liz September 3, 2013 at 12:08 am #

Shifting reality is one of my favorite pastimes!

• Billybuc September 3, 2013 at 12:18 am #

It can be very rewarding, Lizzy. I did it for a few decades…in the end I had to pay the piper and damn that was expensive. LOL

13. i'mkarn September 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

I love shauna too. Her new blog is excellent! Great tips and passion, Bill. As always..I WISH i cared more about money…i could use some..lol..
    ah, well..

• Billybuc September 4, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Well Leslie, I care about it, but don’t seem to have the knack to make any. LOL Sha’s post is today if you want to drop by, and thanks my friend….hugs

14. Marissa September 5, 2013 at 11:53 am #

I love the tip of the day! But… I love wine so that’s probably the reason. 🙂
    Also, I can relate to your bit on having a support network. Some people in my life really don’t understand my wanting to write. I’ll never forget the time I told my one girl friend about my website…she asked what it was called and I said “Tiny Pilgrim”..and she laughed.. like, she thought it was FUNNY. Sure it’s a catchy name, but that wasn’t exactly the reaction I was looking for. Oh well.. can’t please everyone. You can only please yourself and those who care enough to take interest in your passions.

• Billybuc September 5, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Marissa, trying to please everyone is a fool’s errand, and basing our happiness on the approval of others is a no-win situation. You know that better than most.

Thanks for stopping by my Tiny Pilgrim!