A Writer’s Self-Image

17 Oct

003And a very happy Thursday to you all!  What’s happening in your literary world right now?

I have a rather self-reflective and serious question for you today.  I can hear you all groaning from here but that won’t deflect my purpose.  Are you ready?

How do you see yourself as a writer?  In other words, what is your writing self-image?

Let’s start with a quote and then we’ll discuss this more.

The person we believe ourselves to be will always act in a manner consistent with our self-image.
Brian Tracy

I love that quote and it is oh, so true.

So back to the question: what is your self-image regarding your writing abilities?  This is a bit tricky, isn’t it?  If we say we are incredible then maybe our self-image is a bit inflated, and that isn’t good…if we say we are horrible then obviously we have some work to do with that regard.

Do you have a trusted friend who will be honest with you about your abilities?  Family member?  Do you belong to a writers’ group where you can get objective opinions about your writing?  Hell, do you even want to know?  LOL

Think about it.  We must believe in ourselves because let’s face it, our fan club is rather small on the best of days….but…..our image must be realistic as well so that we can move forward and affect improvement.

street fair Aug 2012 013

Yes, you know what I want you to do….write 200 words describing this picture, but put it in fiction form today.

CONTEST OF THE DAY

The Colorado Prize For Poetry is accepting submissions. Entry fee is $25 and first prize is a $2000 honorarium.  This is for poetry books, or collections of poetry.  You can read about it here.

Go find the best thing you have ever written.  We all have a favorite piece so don’t tell me that you don’t have one.  Now, read it and then ask yourself what it is about that piece that makes it your favorite. Once you have answered that question, then replicate the strength of that piece the next time you write something.  Build on your victories…they are your strengths….they are what make you a good writer.

MORE LATER

Time to go; I have a novel that is demanding my attention.  Have a great day writing!

18 Responses to “A Writer’s Self-Image”

1. Janine Huldie October 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Bill, I count myself lucky that I have both my mom and Kevin who are honest with me. So to me this is worth a million dollars! Hoping you are having a great day now!! 🙂

• Billybuc October 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Janine, you are so fast. I barely posted this and here you are. Thank you for being such a great supporter and friend.

2. Marissa Carnahan October 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Oh Bill, you are so wise 🙂

You got me thinking now.

Have a great day, friend!

• Billybuc October 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Marissa, I was bound to pick up a few things over 65 years. 🙂 Does that make me wise or attentive? LOL Thank you my dear; have a great day yourself.

3. Shauna October 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Bill, I think I’m a pretty good writer. My family thinks I’m awesome. As you know by my latest blog, I’ve just joined a writing community. One of the many benefits is critiques on your work and/or your website (I’ve already asked for and gotten critiques on my site). I think this will be beneficial to me as a writer because the members don’t yet know me and won’t be afraid to hurt my feelings. I think this will give me good measure as to my abilities and where I need to improve.

• Billybuc October 17, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

Sha, I love that you joined a writing group. It will be very beneficial in the end…well done my friend.

4. Les (is more?) October 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Hmmmm…interesting question, my friend. How about ‘unique’? Not better, not worse, but – unique. Folks may htink i ‘just’ wrote a book about erotica, but in fact – there is also a social message and psychology woven thruout!
    Learning to me is a life process. I’ll never be ‘good enough’!
    HUGS, Bill-bro!

• Billybuc October 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

And there’s the problem with people like you and me, Les….we will never be good enough according to our standards. Ain’t it a bitch? LOL

5. froggy213 October 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Another great post Bill. I believe that I will link to it on my post coming up in my writing blog. Thanks my friend.

• Billybuc October 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Thank you Greg! Good to see you again my friend. I hope you are having a great day.

6. Leona J. Atkinson October 17, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

I believe I am encouraging and uplifting in my writing and in my life in general. That is what I try to do and what others have told me I do.

• Billybuc October 17, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Leona, good for you! We need more people like you. Thanks for stopping by.

7. Susan Sproull October 18, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Hi Bill,

If I had to write for a living I would starve. I have looked back at some of my poetry and I am proud of what I wrote. I know with writing you are suppose to do it every day but that doesn’t work for me when it comes to my poetry.

• Billybuc October 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Sue, your approach is your approach. What works for you works for you. Really rather simple, and from where I stand it definitely works for you. 🙂 Thanks for dropping by my friend.

8. marcoujor November 3, 2013 at 2:01 am #

Dear Bill,

I always use my dear Mom as a benchmark for my craft…i.e.) would she have been proud of each piece I write.

I love your suggestion to build off our strengths, like friendly competition with ourselves.

Love, Maria

• Billybuc November 3, 2013 at 2:54 am #

Maria, I would say your mother is a pretty good benchmark. 🙂 Thank you for stopping by on a Saturday night.

love,
      bill

9. Billybuc October 17, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

Thank you Greg!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What to Charge For Your Writing | The Right To Write - October 17, 2013

[…] I see many writers “selling” themselves short. My good friend, Bill, wrote an excellent post today on a Writer’s Self-Image at his blog: Artistry With Words. […]