Making Money As A Writer

22 Oct

003Welcome back to our next installment on Artistry With Words. I hope your weekend was restful, and you are now chomping at the bit to get out there and gallop with your words.

Today let’s talk about making money.  How’s that for a subject all writers are interested in?

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can’t make me happy.
Spike Milligan

Oh man I love that quote.  I would love to tell you that making money isn’t important to me, but that would be a bald-faced lie.  Of course I want to make money.  I get tired of mac-n-cheese just like everyone else. I’d love to have the money to take Bev out for a nice dinner at a restaurant or, heaven forbid, actually go on a real vacation like the ones I read about online.  I don’t need to be rich but damn, it sure would be nice to be secure. J

If I had to name the number one complaint I see from writers it would be related to making money….especially those who make money from online endeavors…blogging, writer’s sites like HubPages or Bubblews, content mills….everyone is looking for a bigger piece of the pie and I understand that.

Here’s what I think:

What has worked for you in the past? Where have you had success, no matter how limited?  Figure that out and then replicate it.  As my dad was fond of saying, beating a dead horse does no good at all.  If something you are doing is not working then quit doing it.  Duh!  If something is working then keep on doing it.  Duh!

SECOND TIP OF THE DAY

Contact other writers who are finding success and brainstorm with them.  Ask for their advice.  Quit bouncing around your writing studio talking to yourself and seek the counsel of others who have had success.  I have found writers to be very generous with advice when asked, but of course I only hang with giving people. J

THIRD TIP OF THE DAY

Write a business plan for yourself. All businesses have them, and if you are writing for money then writing is a business.summer of 2010 015

FOURTH TIP OF THE DAY

Work harder!  I don’t see any reason to expound on this one.

FIFTH TIP OF THE DAY

Help each other.  Combined you can become a force; alone you can become a lost wanderer with barely enough money to buy a Big Mac.

Here, I’ll give you an example.  One of my favorite young writers, and a genuinely good person, is Marissa.  You can find her blog, Tiny Pilgrim, here, and I encourage you all to give her some support and spread the love.

AND THAT’S ALL I HAVE FOR YOU TODAY

No contests, no nothing other than the above-mentioned tips.  You know where to find me if you want to chat about making money.

16 Responses to “Making Money As A Writer”

1. Janine Huldie October 22, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Totally agree with doing what works for you and also looking to combine forces to help each other. Totally great tips as always Bill and am with you would totally nice to at the very least be secure. Wishing you a great day now Bill again!! 🙂

• Billybuc October 22, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Security, Janine? I’m hoping, as we all are, and I think we’ll make it, but it does not happen quickly as you well know. Thank you for yet another visit.

2. realhousewife October 22, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Hey Bill! I just don’t care about making money herte…I don’t even pay attention but I have to admit I did a little online shopping and my money from HP covered the tab! That was kinda nice! I do love to help my fellow writers and sharing is what we do!

• Billybuc October 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Kelly, sharing is what some writers do….I’m still amazed by the number of writers who don’t get it. Oh well, at least you and I are having fun. 🙂 Thanks Kelly!

3. Marissa Carnahan October 22, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Great article as always – very informative! I like your tip on devising a business plan – or at least a plan that scopes out where you want to take your writing and the steps needed to get there.

Also, thank you very much for the mention 🙂

-Marissa

• Billybuc October 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

True to my word, Marissa. I’ll help you whenever I can because you are quality people. 🙂

4. rastaintel October 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

I would sure like to brainstorm with you!!

5. Shauna October 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

Thanx for the tips, Bill. Having a support system with other writers is a huge resource. Offering your services for free is awesome. Most writers sites do that to a point, then they want you to join their clinic. I have joined one myself. It only costs $25/month and I can leave any time I want. I’m hoping to benefit as a writer and become a well-paid writer. Or at least a decently-paid writer.

• Billybuc October 22, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

Sha, you are a great example of a writer who does the dirty work necessary to become better and see positive results. Hopefully others will learn by following your example. Keep doing what you are doing my friend.

• Shauna October 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

I haven’t seen the results yet, but that’s because I’m still in the studying mode. It’s about time to try to split that in half and spend some time writing and looking for some gigs.

• Billybuc October 22, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

I think that sounds like a plan, Sha!

6. marcoujor October 23, 2013 at 2:19 am #

Solid tips, Bill… The best to me is helping each other.
    Hope you have a peaceful evening. Love, Maria

• Billybuc October 23, 2013 at 2:50 am #

Maria, it is such an easy thing to do….why don’t more writers do it? 🙂

love,
      bill

7. Dee October 23, 2013 at 3:25 am #

Greetings! Thanks for another wonderful post that encourages others.

• Billybuc October 23, 2013 at 3:29 am #

It’s always a pleasure, Dianna! Thank you!