An Appreciation For Poetry and the Love of Writing

14 Nov

003And a very Happy Thursday to you all.  Shall we begin?

I greatly admire poets and let me tell you why.  While so many of us scramble to rack up as many views as we can, and earn our passive income on HubPages and other sites, poets just write for the passion of writing.  They have very little hope of garnering tons of views; they have very little hope of making passive income; and they have very little hope of having their poems published, or at least less hope than writers who chase after other genres.

Still they write.   They write for the love of writing.  They write because poetry is in their hearts and souls.  I admire that. I truly wish I had the poet gene in me because beautiful poetry is soothing and peaceful and Lordy, does this world ever need more soothing and peaceful.

Let me share a quote with you and then I’ll get to the whole point of this seemingly aimless rambling of mine.

Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things.
T. S. Eliot

LOL….I love that quote.  I guess I must be missing the personality and emotions necessary to write poetry.

Now on to my point.  It saddens me at times that so many writers spend so much effort and time trying to find ways to make money.  I have been in contact with some who are constantly stressing over the lack of money, and they scramble to find new ways to generate an income from writing…..but…..what falls by the wayside in that quest is writing just for the sake of writing.

Don’t ever let that happen.  We are writers because we love the art of writing. Never lose sight of that fact because once the love is gone this just becomes another job….and that would be sad.

SITE OF THE DAY

My friend Christy has a blog called Poetic Parfait and I invite you to take a look at it.  You can find it here.  Christy is one of those poets I spoke about earlier, and if you want to partake in a bit of beauty this morning, give her a visit.  Besides, she is just good people. J

CONTEST OF THE DAY

The Charles Causley Poetry Competition is currently taking submissions. This is a renowned international poetry competition so check it out here.

IMG_0155

Sing “Tommy” while you look at this picture…see me, feel me, touch me….ooooooh, I’m getting turned on. LOL

So you want to be a poet, eh?  Remember the five senses.  Use them in descriptions….us similes…use metaphors….as John Lennon was fond of saying, “turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.”

MORE WHENEVER

Well, that’s a bit vague, isn’t it?  I’ll be back with more tips on this blog next Tuesday. Of course, if it is writing tips you want then it is writing tips you will get three times a week on my HubPages site.  Stop by, say hi and get high on the art of writing.

18 Responses to “An Appreciation For Poetry and the Love of Writing”

1. Kelly Umphenour November 14, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Enjoyed the quote Bill:). Poetry is way more difficult ham some people think I believe. Some people do it beautifully but it’s a gift…I don’t have it but that’s why I love and admire it so much:). HAGD!!

• Billybucb November 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Same here, Kelly. Even though I can’t write it I certainly can marvel at it. Thanks for stopping by my friend.

2. Janine Huldie November 14, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

I love Christy’s site and her poetry always puts such a smile on my face. So happy to see you sharing her page here. And will say my hat is off to Christy and all the other wonderful poets, because I seriously am just not a poet by nature I suppose. But that is just me. Have a wonderful rest of the day now, Bill!! 🙂

• Billybucb November 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

Me neither Janine; it is beyond me how they do it. I’m missing that certain something necessary. Oh well, I do what I do.

Thank you as always Ms. Loyalty!

3. Melanie Chisnall November 14, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

You know that it’s been over a year since I last wrote a poem? I think it’s high time I changed that. Looking forward to the holidays, might get some done then. The thing with poetry for me, much like painting, is that I’ve got to be in the mood to do it. I have to be filled with intense emotion most of the time. Thanks for reminding me about poetry… I had put it aside!

• Billybucb November 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Mel, I wish it were that easy for me. LOL Being in the mood still leaves me quite short when it comes to writing poetry….but I’m happy this served as a reminder for you and I look forward to whatever you write. Thank you for stopping by on this Thursday evening. Sleep well my friend.

4. Shauna November 14, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Bill, I used to write poetry all the time. The last time I actually wrote a new one was based on a picture prompt you posted on HP. That was April 12, 2013. Poetry is what got me started writing; I’ve written well over 100. Lately, I’ve gotten so wrapped up in writing for other genres that my first love has fallen by the wayside. I was reflecting on that just the other day.

• Billybucb November 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

Well, Sha, perhaps reflection will lead to action. 🙂 I know your poetry is lovely and I hope you do more of it.

5. ruchira November 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

seriously, we both thought of writing and expectations..wow!

I agree poets are far more remarkable individuals than writers. Christy is an amazing poet and even I admire her talent. Thanks for showcasing her.

Wishing you a wonderful thursday!

• Billybucb November 14, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

yes indeed, Ruchira; great minds travel the same path. 🙂 Thank you my friend.

6. Audrey Howitt November 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

Good morning Bill! Christy is a wonder–a fine writer a=in general and a wonderful poet–and really a good friend in the online world. Best to you today!

• Billybucb November 14, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Thank you Audrey and I agree completely with you.

7. Christy Birmingham November 15, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Oh Bill, I am close to tears. Thank-you for the mention, beautiful words and for your friendship – hugs!

• Billybucb November 15, 2013 at 3:11 am #

You deserve it, Christy! You are a good person and I want others to know that. Thank you for your friendship.

8. Leonas Lines November 16, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Thanks for your recognition of poets. I have been writing a poem a day since April. I started because of the NaPoWriMo challenge in April and then never stopped! I never really knew I had so much poetry in me, but I am loving it! It is challenging and fun! I had always thought of myself as a writer of devotionals and inspirational articles but never a poet. Now I am learning all the various styles and forms of poetry and it is interesting and challenging. 🙂

• Billybucb November 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

I’m sure it is Leonas…..I have a poet’s heart but a prose mind, and it works for me. I have nothing but respect for those who churn out poetry and bring beauty into this world.

9. pictimilitude November 17, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

Dang. You make me want to go off and write a poem. Perhaps that will be my next blog post. 🙂
    Thanks for the inspiration. 😉

• Billybucb November 17, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

Cyndi, about the only person I didn’t inspire to write a poem was me. LOL I hope you had a nice weekend; thanks for stopping by.