A Reason For Writers To Be Thankful

26 Nov

003Happy Tuesday to you all, and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

And that happens to be the subject of today’s blog.  With a short week I’m not sure how many blogs I’ll be doing, so I thought I better get the thanks out of the way now….well, not out of the way but….well, you know.

How was that for an awkward sentence from a supposedly professional writer?  LOL

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.
Tecumseh

Wise man that Tecumseh!

For those of you who are writers, and I’m pretty sure you all are, consider this:  we are incredibly blessed to be doing what we are doing.

My dad worked in a sand & gravel pit for twenty years and died when he was forty-nine.  I know people who have worked in coal mines. My grandparents worked 120 acres of corn in Iowa.  You want to talk about hard work?

And then there is me.  I get to write for a living.  I get to create sentences and phrases and paragraphs, and then I get to send them out to the world in a continual legacy.  Long after I am physically dead my writing will live on, and my words will provide comfort or information or inspiration for thousands of people in future generations.

How cool is that?

Find the passion in your writing. Writing should be all about passion. It should be all about the love of the written word.  It should be an extension of who we are as human beings.  It is communication and exclamation, exhalation and exultation.  Again, how cool is that?

THANKS OF THE DAY

Thanks to all of you.  It has been popular this month for writers to list all the things they are thankful for. I don’t have a list in me. I am thankful for life and since you are a part of that life then you are included.

This life is a gift.  If one treats it as anything less than a gift then one needs a serious reality check.

You are all an extension of my writing. Through knowing you all my writing has grown with brilliant hues and dazzling textures, and that is a gift as well for which I am grateful.

22 Responses to “A Reason For Writers To Be Thankful”

1. Janine Huldie November 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Bill, definitely a short week here, too. Will be sharing some Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals for most of the rest of the week from affiliates and such, but to be honest giving myself a bit of a break since I work my tail off for the rest of the year. Hope you are doing the same and wishing you a great rest of the day now!! 🙂

• Billybucb November 26, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

I don’t know, Janine. I have a ton to do so we’ll see how much free time I find. Happy Thanksgiving my friend.

2. froggy213 November 26, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

I agree Bill, I do have many things to be thankful for, and writing is one of the biggest. Maggie is the first, and friends like you are way up on the list. Happy Thanksgiving my friend.

• Billybucb November 26, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Thank you Greg and Happy Thanksgiving to you and Maggie!

3. Liz November 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

And I’m so thankful for you, too, my dear friend ❤

• Billybucb November 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Thank you Lizzy! You are a joy for me.

4. Shauna November 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving Bill! It’s a short week for me, too. Cleaning today, then baking pies and early prep for Thursday’s dinner is on the menu for tomorrow.

Enjoy your family and your day. No writing on Thanksgiving, right???? 🙂

• Billybucb November 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Sha, I can’t make any promises. I’ve got customers who could care less what day of the year it is, but I promise to relax a bit over the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend and love always.

5. Audrey Howitt November 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving Bill! I hope you enjoy your holiday!

• Billybucb November 26, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Thank you Audrey, and the same to you and your family.

6. ruchira November 26, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

beautifully put, bill.
    I am filled with gratitude too with concerns to being surrounded by all of you.

• Billybucb November 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

I would expect nothing less from you, Ruchira. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

7. Cygnet Brown November 26, 2013 at 11:21 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

• Billybucb November 26, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

Thank you and the same to you and yours.

8. Melanie Chisnalle November 27, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

I tried commenting here yesterday but it wouldn’t let me… let’s see if it works today! Couldn’t agree more Bill, we have LOADS to be thankful for. I guess it can’t be all smooth sailing and offers of book deals and such left, right and centre…otherwise everyone would be doing it. That’s what I love about it. It’s up to me how much I put in where I want it to go. So glad to be on this writing journey alongside you and looking forward to seeing where we are in a year’s time again 🙂

• Billybuc November 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

This one came through Mel and thanks for trying again. No, we can’t all get book deals. It takes hard work and a lot of luck and then we may not have anything to show for it. Oh yes, writing is a tough gig for sure.

Have a wonderful weekend my friend; you are greatly appreciated.

9. pictimilitude November 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Indeed. I have a no-frills kind of life, but I’m rich beyond measure: I write, teach and have a roof over my head with enough to eat. I have my health, my animals, and working automobiles. And most of all: I have the love of my life beside me. I am rich beyond measure. 🙂

• Billybucb November 27, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Cyndi, it seems to me you have it all. I don’t have an automobile, but other than that I am sitting pretty. 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving my friend and thank you for your friendship.

10. Leslie November 27, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Thanks to YOU, Bill – just for being you! For mucking through the crap in life to come out the other end – glittering and clean.
    And – with a clear mission – to make the rest of us better. Be better. Do better. Think better. Give better..
    i adore you and wish you and your lovely better half a wonderful TG!

• Billybucb November 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Leslie, thank you my dear. I happen to think you are pretty damn special too. In a world of complacency, apathy, two-faced bullshit and over-inflated egos, you manage to be true to who you are and I admire the hell out of that.

hugs coming your way

bill

11. Dee November 30, 2013 at 4:10 am #

I don’t know what lies ahead but I have what I need today to make life comfortable. I used to think climbing the corporate ladder was my goal and that reaching the top equaled success. I applaud those who keep life balanced while on top, but for me I find life much happier living it with the simple necessities of life. You are an inspiration to readers on living this lifestyle.

• Billybucb November 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Thank you Dianna! There are tough times for sure when one is living a simple lifestyle, but I much prefer it to the headaches I experienced when I had more money than I could possibly need.