Revolutionary Growth As Writers

29 Nov

003I hope you all had a safe and happy holiday….and Happy Friday to you all!  The weekend is upon us…the blessed weekend.  What are you going to do?  Resting sounds good to me right now.

I’m writing this on Wednesday, and as soon as I finish this post I’m going to get busy on my new novel. I don’t know what the name of it is yet; my working title is “The Coffee Shop Quixote” but I’m sure that will change in time.

Today I’m doing something I rarely do and that is go back and do some fill in.  I usually write the novel first and then go back on the 2nd write and fill in character descriptions and scenes, but I’ve got a wild hair this morning about one part of the book, and I’m not going to be happy until I go back and fix that section up a bit….I have a vision of a scene and I need to write it while I still have it, if that makes any sense.

I have a great respect for incremental improvement, and I’ve done that sort of thing in my life, but I’ve always been attracted to the more revolutionary changes. I don’t know why. Because they’re harder. They’re much more stressful emotionally. And you usually go through a period where everybody tells you that you’ve completely failed.
Steve Jobs

Too bad he died. I think it would have been cool to sit down and have a chat with Jobs and pick his brain. Some of his quotes really move and inspire me. This quote for example; I love how it fits in with writing.  I can see it in my own writing. I will make incremental improvements based on accepted writing theory, and then I’ll say “to hell with it” and head off in an illogical direction and just see what happens.

And yes, there will be those who tell me that I failed and I’ll be honest, it hurts when I hear those words….but I am secure enough in my talent to know those folks are a minority and that I actually do “have game” with regards to writing.

So the message of the day is always keep improving.  Improve in small ways and take a chance in big ways….and, like my father used to say, always keep moving forward.

SITE OF THE DAY

Say hello to my friend Suzette and her blog. You can find it here.  I’ve known Suzette on HubPages for quite some time. She is a former teacher who is quite knowledgeable about authors and the classics.  I’m sure you will find her interesting and informative….and loyal.

003

Enjoy it ….feel it….use it to practice with….write one paragraph describing it….and above all have fun.

AND THAT’S ALL THIS WEEK

Have a great weekend and thank you for being here.  Do something special for yourselves this weekend.

10 Responses to “Revolutionary Growth As Writers”

1. Janine Huldie November 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

I am on my way out to do some Black Friday shopping with my mom, while Kevin watches the girls for a bit. But just wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy Friday and weekend ahead again!! 🙂

• Billybucb November 29, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Good luck with that shopping, Janine, and thank you as always for the visit.

2. Shauna L Bowling November 29, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

It amazes me that you have 3 novels in the works, you post on HP daily and maintain two blogs all while working for paying customers and keeping up with what your writer friends are up to.. Lordy Goshen, you’re wearing me out just thinking about it, Bill! 🙂 I don’t know how you do it.

• Billybucb November 29, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Sha, I’m a workaholic. I don’t think there is a cure other than death, so I’m not looking forward to the cure. LOL Have a great weekend.

• Shauna L Bowling November 29, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

I think you’ve been paying too much attention to Regalia’s habits. 🙂 I say that lovingly, of course!

• Billybucb November 29, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

You may be right, Sha. 🙂

3. pictimilitude November 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

Love it. I think I’ve invented my own method for writing a book: patch and sew. LOL. I write a passage, then patch it up (do a little editing) so I can sew pieces of the story together. HAHA.

• Billybucb November 30, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

Cyndi, whatever works for you…that’s all that is important. 🙂 I hope you are having a great weekend.

4. Melanie Chisnall December 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Yesterday I went to get my hair done and today I had a bar of salted caramel, so I think that pretty much sums up doing something special for me this weekend, lol! I love Steve Jobs’ quotes. He seemed like such a wise man. Your new novel sounds interesting… well, the working title definitely grabbed my attention and made me wonder what it was all about. Can’t wait to hear more (or if you’re keeping the plot under wraps like I’ve just decided), I look forward to reading it. Have a wonderful Sunday!

• Billybucb December 1, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Mel, I’m glad you did something nice for yourself. I think it is so important that we do so. As for the novel….I’ll just sprinkle tidbits from time to time, but the story line will remain a mystery until I get it done. 🙂 I hope you had a great weekend my friend and thank you.