Writers Using Music For Inspiration

12 Dec

003Happy Thursday to you all!  Shall we begin?

Music is in my brain this morning.  I have written before about using picture prompts to kickstart your writing muse, and I even include a picture prompt in every blog posting I do….but….if you want to try something just a little bit different, turn to music for your next inspiration.

For me, nobody does it like Dan Fogelberg.  I can choose any of his numerous songs and instantly find a platform for my next article.  Two recent articles found their start from the songs “The Reach” and “Ghosts.”  Such is the power of his lyrics for this writer.

I’m sure you all have your favorite music.  Turn to a song now and listen to the lyrics. I’m willing to bet you can find an article in those lines.

One of my favorite Fogelberg lines, from “The Reach”

“Death is there to keep us honest, and constantly remind us we are free.”  Isn’t that beautiful?

Or how about this one, from “Run For the Roses”

“It’s the chance of a lifetime in a lifetime of chance.”

Man alive, if that doesn’t shake something loose in your heart and mind then there is no hope for you. J

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
Plato

Plato knew what the hell he was talking about, didn’t he?

SITE OF THE DAY

Let me share another writer friend with you….her name is Donna Brown and you can find her blog, The Ugly Duckling, here.

WRITER OF THE DAY

From time to time I like to introduce you to a writer you may not have run across.  On the site HubPages there is a writer by the Hub name of Ziyena who I greatly enjoy.  You can find her here.  She is trying to increase her viewership so I thought I’d give a shout out to her.

bonneville

I hope you find something in this photo that will give you an article idea. If not, just enjoy the picture. I know it’s small but it’s a dam. 🙂

I’m big on community.  We are writers and our community is a very select one.  Not everyone in the world has the opportunity to do what we do.  Not everyone has the talents that we have.  We reach hundreds of thousands with our words and because of that I feel we have a responsibility to be the best we can possibly be.  I hope you feel the same responsibility.

Are you writing a book?  Are you stuck on a passage, or don’t know where to go next?

Leave it and go exercise.  I’m serious…go do some exercising.  Get that body functioning at a high level and your brain will follow.

SECOND TIP OF THE DAY

I have mentioned before that I do not outline my books.  Quite frankly it’s a laziness issue more than anything else, my quiet protest against the nuns who demanded outlining when I was in elementary school.  Be that as it may, my process involves writing a character first.  I get to know that character. I start to understand what that character wants from life; what sorts of problems that character is going to have.  Once I have done that then I let the character write the story.  Quite often the character takes me places I never thought of visiting.

PERSONAL PLUG OF THE DAY

Do you need an editor? I’m standing by to serve. Find me on Facebook here and let’s talk about your needs.

MORE NEXT WEEK

I hope you have a restful weekend.  Stay warm and always, be happy!

20 Responses to “Writers Using Music For Inspiration”

1. Janine Huldie December 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Bill, you are truly preaching to the choir about music and trust me as I am working and writing daily, I listen o music, because truly does inspire me so. Hoping you are having a great day so far now once again!! 🙂

• Billybucb December 12, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

I am having a great day, Janine, and will continue to do so as long as I concentrate on the positives in my life. Thank you dear friend; enjoy your day.

2. Audrey Howitt December 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Stay warm Bill! Good to know that music inspires you! Off to check out the sites above–

• Billybucb December 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Audrey, I am safe and warm in my little studio; thanks and I hope you enjoy those sites.

3. Cygnet Brown December 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Hi Bill, Thanks for the pingback! My favorite Dan Fogelberg song is “Longer”

• Billybucb December 12, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

my pleasure, Donna…always happy to help another writer

4. Shauna L Bowling December 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Bill, I don’t outline either. I never know where the story is going until I sit down and write. The beauty of writing is it is free form. Yeah, it needs to make sense and you need to spell words correctly, unless you’re writing a Puddin’ Tang type story, but my characters lead me. They tell the story. Once I give them life, they feed me – not the other way around. Sometimes it takes weeks between each inspirational meal, but I cannot dictate the life of my story. Rather, the characters become so personal to me that I wait until they send me the message of what next happens in their lives. Once I hear them, I write until they’re ready to speak again. That is why I love creative writing.

And music – well, it keeps me moving and motivated. It sets a rhythm. That’s how music inspires me. Perhaps I should listen closer.

• Billybucb December 12, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks Sha. It’s good for writers to hear what works for others…never know where we are going to pick up a tip or inspiration…and if we keep all of this stuff to ourselves then nobody benefits.

• Shauna L Bowling December 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Yep. I shared your HP post about your sweet little bitch. One of my friends has passed it on to two of her Florida friends. I met her when she lived not too far from me, back in the late 80’s or early 90’s. She has since moved to Kentucky or one of those y’all states, is single, has a bunch of property and her Dalmations. She found me on FB a couple of years ago. She and I were biker chicks at one time and went on a 3-couple road trip up the east coast thru to Canada. She turned me onto Dean Koontz when he was Dean R.Koontz. The book was The Mask. I’ve been hooked ever since (and never gave the book back to her!).

It’s nice to have a past history with someone that you can share from time to time, but it’s even better to relish in the fact that each has grown and moved away from situations that lead to nowhere.

• Billybucb December 12, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

The past is just the past, right? We can either learn from it or remain stagnant. I prefer to learn, grow and move forward, and I know you do as well.

5. ruchira December 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

I agree with ya Bill.
    Yesterday was such a day for me…no ideas coming in and I was blank.
    Shut my computer and went for a walk…i hear some tingling happening since then 😉

creativity can get a short circuit esp in this cold weather…lol

• Billybucb December 12, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

That’s the truth, Ruchira! I think our brains freeze. LOL Thank you!

6. Dee December 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

Thanks for the inspiration. I love classical music best as a backgroundnoise. Wonderful way to get in the mood for writing.

• Billybucb December 12, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

It is indeed, Dianna! Thanks for the visit and your thoughts.

7. susanzutautas December 13, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Great tips, I’ll have to try the music one. I usually sit in silence as I’m writing.

Have a great weekend!

• Billybuc December 13, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Thanks Susan! I can’t write with music playing, but I will listen to music and then start writing. 🙂

8. Kelly Umphenour December 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

I do love Run for the Roses…great song…but I’m a music lover in general.

Like Janine said…you’re preaching to the choir! Amen to that!

• Billybuc December 13, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

Amen, Sista! LOL Kelly, my dream is to live long enough that I can write a classic line like that one that will be remembered for decades. 🙂

9. Melanie Chisnall December 14, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Funny you should talk about music today because this morning I’m sitting with earphones on listening to Enya while I’m trying to get a few things done. That’s not happening because my pc is so slow, but the music is preventing me from smashing this box into the wall. 🙂 Hope your connection is faster today!

• Billybuc December 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Mel, I’m laughing….I had no internet connection for about four hours yesterday and I needed music desperately to keep from throwing the computer out in the yard. LOL