Scheduling and Chillin As A Writer

16 Jan

003Happy Thursday to you all, the 16th day of January, 2014.  Where oh where does the time go?

I had an interesting day yesterday. I doubt it was interesting to anyone else, but since I am somewhat of a reflective person, looking back on it was definitely interesting.

I have mentioned many times the importance of having a schedule if you are a freelance writer.  Writing is a business, and you can’t expect to succeed in a business that you do not treat like a business. I have regular business hours and during those hours I write.  Period!

So yesterday, when Bev’s son needed to go to the dentist for oral surgery, and I had to take him because he couldn’t drive home after having anesthetic. I was two hours late starting my writing day.  I was, in a word, flummoxed. LOL  My writing day was completely turned upside down and I never really recovered.  I was in constant catch-up mode and I eventually just gave up trying to work on my novel. I literally had to take a deep breath and tell myself to chill out and relax.

Yes, I can be a bit anal.

So there are two lessons today: one, I do believe freelance writers should have a schedule; two, it’s okay to chill when things don’t work out like you planned.

007

Think of an experience from your lifetime that relates to this picture….then write about that experience and how it changed your life.

The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.
Stephen Covey

This one was for me. J

If you are a freelance writer and you are looking for customers, try contacting local businesses.  You have a leg up on competition because you are local.  Approach them by explaining what you can do to improve their business by putting a professional face on their website and in their blogging.

THAT’S ALL FOR TODAY

Hey, I’m running late, and I have to cut corners somewhere.  I promise to have more for you next week.  Have a productive remainder of the week.

25 Responses to “Scheduling and Chillin As A Writer”

1. Janine Huldie January 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

Bill, I know that feeling and recently I slept a bit late and it threw my whole day off. And like you I finally just off in and called it a day myself. I guess schedules sometimes are just made to be broken when need be. That said hoping you are having a better, more relaxing day today my friend 🙂

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 5:15 pm #

Too funny Janine because I have this nagging fear that I am going to oversleep….LOL we are funny sometimes. Thanks for sharing my angst and enjoy the heck out of your day.

2. ruchira January 16, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

I agree on your prioritizing things, Bill

I am a mom first and then a writer/reiki master. I take on assignments depending on my kid’s schedule.

have a good thursday and hope you catch up!

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Ruchira, you have your priorities exactly right. Have a great day my friend and thank you.

3. Clear-eyed Sky January 16, 2014 at 7:07 pm #

Good gravy, Billy, even if you go to work for an employer there are days you need to take off or go in late! Chill, Babe!

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 7:10 pm #

LOL…Lizzy, I didn’t do it very often. 🙂 I know, I know…what can I say?

4. Shauna L Bowling January 16, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Bill I so agree with you. Sometimes you just have to take a chill pill. I mentioned to you on your HP article yesterday that I was working on my blog. My new niche is so research intensive that it takes me 2 days to go from Word to final post. I finished up and posted late yesterday. Today I’m taking a day to catch up on the gagillion emails in my inbox and do some maintenance.

I have implemented contacting local businesses into my business plan. I received my new business cards, so now I can move forward. I plan on contacting green companies in my town. Once I see how that pans out I can branch out some.

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

You posted in your blog, Sha? Did I see it? I don’t remember you posting yesterday. Mmmmm

• Shauna L Bowling January 16, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

No, you haven’t seen it. I broadcast it on the BS FB page yesterday. Did you not get your email notification from Weebly? I’ve only had 3 comments since I put it up. I wonder if the Feedburner thingie isn’t working.

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

No notification at all.

• Shauna L Bowling January 16, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Thanx, I’ll have to look into it. Would you mind re-subscribing until I can get it figured out?

5. Mari January 16, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

I like this idea! Thanks!

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 9:26 pm #

Glad you like it Mari; thanks for the visit.

6. froggy213 January 16, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

I had to slightly chuckle at this post Bill; not laughing at you, but with you. I can be anal too. It does really suck when something unexpected ruins the schedule. I don’t believe I will ever get used to it; but I will take my good friends advice. I will use an idiom here–I will chill out!
    Have a great evening Bill.

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

Nicely done, Greg…I caught the idiom reference to your blog. LOL I guess we still have a lot to learn about life, eh?

7. 1authorcygnetbrown January 16, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

OMG, Bill, its as though we are living parallel lives! We were talking about schedules and writing for local businesses as well today. I am seriously thinking about adding leaving the house and going to the office (Starbucks) as well as contacting local businesses with my portfolio.

• Billybuc January 16, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

Donna, that’s fantastic. I hope it works out for you….I think many writers think in a similar fashion. That’s the beauty of the online world; we can tap in and find out we are not alone in this crazy writing world.

8. Melanie Chisnall January 17, 2014 at 10:14 am #

This is exactly one of the things that drove me up the wall last year. I was so set on writing certain things at the EXACT time and if I was a little late I’d fly into panic mode. Even worse, like you, when I had to do something that completely messed up my schedule. Most of the time I’d just give up because my mind felt like it had turned to mush, lol! Completely agree with you… a schedule is good, BUT it should also be fairly flexible. One of my goals for this year is to stop being so hard on myself. So far, it’s working wonders! Have a brilliant weekend Bill! 🙂 P.S. How are you going with the running? I’m starting it next week… tips would be very welcome! Wrote about it on my blog today..

• Billybuc January 17, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

Hi Mel….we really do have to cut ourselves some slack, don’t we? The earth will keep revolving with or without our help. LOL I’ll answer your question about running on your blog. Thank you my dear and enjoy your weekend.

9. susanzutautas January 19, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

I should have a schedule and I know it but there are days that I’ll sit in front of the computer writing from 6 am – 10 pm at night. Drives hubby crazy. I do take breaks to cook dinner, or let the dogs out, or play Words With Friends. I think I need a schedule so that I don’t sit here so long 🙂 Mind you I don’t this everyday but occasionally I do.

• Billybuc January 19, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Hi Susan! Thanks for the comment. I can be addictive. I start each day at seven and call it quits around four….in the evening I’ll catch up on Words….but I am a bit anal about my schedule and I do the same things each day at the same time. It’s the only way I can get everything done that needs to be done. I hope at some point to be able to cut back a bit, but I have a ton of stuff I still want to accomplish.

10. Lizzy January 20, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Hi, Billy–
    I had to laugh–we are all different, are we not? I work the exact opposite way around. I’m deathly allergic to schedules. I write when the muse strikes, and it is rarely at the same time, or even every day. Sitting down and trying to write, at any set time reminds me of being back in school, trying to finish a dreaded essay, and I cannot concentrate. I usually goof off most of the day, with unimportant fun stuff (and boring stuff like housework), that leaves my mind free to wander and come up with ideas; I do my best writing late at night, when there are unlikely to be any interruptions.

• Billybuc January 20, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

Liz, it is interesting how we all work differently. My ideas usually come first thing in the morning after waking up…by late afternoon my brain is dead. LOL Thanks for sharing your process with us.

11. pictimilitude January 20, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

Good advice. 🙂 I did have a schedule but…you know what happened to me? I’d let it RUN my life. I had trouble with boundaries and I was going and going and going…like 7 days a week! Ironically, I needed my schoolwork to help make me chill out, haha.
    I hope you’re well, BB. Sorry about not commenting much over the past week – everything started back in full-swing and the first part of the semester is…trauma. HA!

• Billybuc January 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

Cydni, life happens. No need to apologize. I picked up a new customer who needs stuff RIGHT NOW and I’ve had to cut back on commenting over the past few days. Those things happen. Thank you lil Sis!