Writers Are Dreamers To The End

1 Apr

003And a very Happy Tuesday to you all! I hope you are rested after the weekend….and hey, it’s April!  Where the heck did March go to?

Well, let’s get busy, shall we?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence
How about you? Are you a dreamer?  Or are you a dreamer willing to do anything to make your dream a reality?  Big difference!

I sent my manuscript to the editor this morning.  She will do a line edit and then return it to me, and then the final re-write will occur.  I will listen to her suggestions, and the suggestions of those who have previewed my manuscript, and I will make changes where I think they should be made.

And then what?  Well, then I’ll make an ebook out of it, and then I’ll start contacting agents and publishers and see if we can’t get someone to give it the attention I think it deserves.

That I think it deserves!

This is what we do….we write, with no assurances that we will ever see financial success from our efforts.  Six months of my life are invested in this novel, and there are no guarantees.  And do you know what I’ll do once this novel is an ebook and I’ve done everything I can to find success?  I’ll write another one and start the whole process again.

This is what we do!  We are writers, and writers write despite the odds.

There are many ways to make money in the writing game.  We can freelance and write for magazines, or we can succumb to the content mills, or we can write books, or we can do a little of them all…but this is what we do.  Few of us will ever be rich….most of us will still be chasing our tails years from now….all because of a dream.

What kind of dreamer are you?

chickens, garden and h.o.w. tshirt 009

It’s gardening time.  You don’t need me to explain this picture.

CONTEST OF THE DAY

The Saturday Evening Post Fiction Contest is accepting submissions.  The deadline is July 1st and entry fee is ten dollars.  Not a bad contest to enter; stories must be between 1,500 and 5,000 words.  Find about it here.

WRITER OF THE DAY

Allow me to introduce you to Ms. Dora.  This lovely lady is a good person who works daily to improve her craft, and most of her articles have an important message worth reading.  You can find her here.

AND THAT IS QUITE ENOUGH FOR TODAY

I hope you all have a marvelous day following your dreams. I know I will.

20 Responses to “Writers Are Dreamers To The End”

1. Janine Huldie April 1, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

Yay and sounds like your book is truly coming along and so very excited for you now. Can’t wait for the e-book to read it now. Happy Tuesday!! 🙂

• Billybuc April 1, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

Thank you so much, Janine. I didn’t see a blog by you today? Did I miss it? Sigh…I better go back and make sure I didn’t erase it.

• Janine Huldie April 1, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

I didn’t post today and am actually seeing if taking Tuesdays off from posting lightens up the load here. Usually Tuesday seems slower for me with views, so just shaking it up a bit I suppose 🙂

2. Shauna L Bowling April 1, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

Bill, I’ve (finally) realized that my dream will never come true if I don’t get off my ass and market myself. My Amazon Affiliates account for my website got cancelled because no referrals have come through. That was the kick in the pants I needed. I’m never going to make money off my site. So, today I’ve opened up the Longwood business directory and have begun reaching out to the businesses in my area. I’ve set up a spreadsheet to track my efforts. Those that have websites, I’m contacting via email. Those that don’t I’ll mail a flyer to.

My ultimate dream is to be a fiction writer, but before that can happen I need to be a paid freelancer. I finally got the kick in the ass I needed.

Just wanted to stop by and see what you had to say today. Now it’s back to my marketing efforts. Oh – when I went into my city’s website I discovered they are holding a Longwood Business After Hours Event later this month. I plan on attending. That’ll give me the perfect opportunity to do some in-person networking within my community.

Thanx for the tip on the fiction contest. I’ll be submitting an entry for sure.

• Billybuc April 1, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

I’m glad to hear you finally got that kick in the butt, Sha! I was wondering how long it would take. 🙂 Good for you…now, good luck

3. RealHousewifeSL April 1, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Man you must be stokin’ Bill! Is nearing Spring time…sunny skies, warm weather and your BOOK! How cool is that?!!! So very!

• Billybuc April 1, 2014 at 3:25 pm #

Kelly, to answer your last question…very cool! 🙂 Thank you Kelly….have a great Tuesday and try not to get into any trouble today. 🙂

4. RealHousewifeSL April 1, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Reblogged this on realhousewifesl.

5. froggy213 April 1, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

Yes Bill, we are dreamers. Dreaming of that first best seller. Dreaming of writing that piece that changes the world. Dreaming of taking over the world with our words.

Great post Bill, now back to my dream.

• Billybuc April 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

Greg, I hope one of our dreams comes true soon. It would be nice to see one of us wildly successful. 🙂

Thanks buddy!

6. Lea Tartanian April 1, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

So very thrilled and enthusiastic for you…you DESERVE this. Your book is so unique, yet appropriate for multitudes of readers. LOVE the way you wrote it. Yes, writers write…cut and dried. I sent a couple writes to one of our local publications last month titled “The Moonlighter” and they printed both. Every single thing we, as writers, manage to publish, is another spot on our writing resume. God Bless, and may your book garner the success it deserves. Sparklea/Lea 🙂

• Billybuc April 1, 2014 at 4:19 pm #

Lea, again, thank you so much for reading that for me. Your comments filled my heart with joy.

Congratulations on having your writes published. That is fantastic my friend. I am very proud of you, Lea.

blessings always

bill

7. Michael Milec April 1, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Hello Bill, and a very Happy Tuesday to you too.
    Thank God that you are not one of them. ” Dangerous dreamers?!” – (definition by Dict.)- preferably the one making his dream reality. Congratulations. An example we have seen as you have been informing us step by step overcoming obstacle to writer’s ultimate goal – publishing a book, helpful, encouraging. Now, the whole world will have chance to meet one and only a new star by the name Mr. William B. Holland. May God continually bless you my friend.

• Billybuc April 1, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

Hello Michael my friend. Let’s hope when the world meets me they come away impressed. 🙂 If not, I have some work to do on who I am.

Thank you for visiting my friend. Have a wonderful evening.

bill

8. Ruchira Khanna April 2, 2014 at 12:19 am #

I was thinking of planting some seeds but bam! rains are hitting hard this side with thunder storms…plans are postponed cause its freezing here!

I agree with your perception with regards to writing and publishing, Bill.
    Strive for perfection and hope for the best!

• Billybuc April 2, 2014 at 12:20 am #

Ruchira, I was planning on some gardening this weekend, but I don’t think the weather gods are going to cooperate. Thanks for stopping by and stay dry my friend.

9. klsilver April 2, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

That is what we do. We write. With no guarantees…
    I wish you ALL the best of luck, my friend – THAT – i can guarantee!

• Billybuc April 2, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Thank you Sis! Luck will be needed. 🙂 Hugs coming your way.

10. Melanie Chisnall April 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

You won’t believe me, but my heart filled with joy reading your post today. Really, I got this warm fuzzy feeling, lol. Because lately I’ve been feeling like I’m chasing my tail. Too much worrying about the future I think. I need to start practicing what I preach (blog) and live in the moment more and have FAITH. But one thing I will never stop being is a dreamer. 🙂 Some dreams are just dreams, and some dreams I put into action. Have a fab day my friend.

• Billybuc April 2, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

Mel, I’m thrilled if I filled you with joy. I believe in the dreamers of this world…I think we need many more of them…and if you give up on your dreams I will haunt you for the rest of your life. 🙂