The Horrible “P” Word

16 Jun

book coverHappy Monday to you all, and thanks for returning.

Today let’s talk about personality.

The ‘self-image’ is the key to human personality and human behavior. Change the self image and you change the personality and the behavior.

Maxwell Maltz

Remember that when you write and publish a book, you are not only promoting the book but also you as a person.  There are millions of books published each and every year….there is only one you.

The writer who thinks his/her book stands alone as a separate entity is a fool.  You are the face of your book.

With that in mind, how do you come across to the people who know you? How do you come across to strangers? Social media casual friends?  To a great extent, how you are viewed by those who see you is how your book will be viewed.  It is inevitable.

Spruce up your image and go meet your audience.  Do book signing and book readings. Go to workshops.  Give talks to schools about creative writing.  Put yourself out there and allow readers to know you as a human being, and not just some name on a book cover.

CONTEST OF THE DAY

Room Magazine is holding their annual writing contest, and submissions will be accepted through July 15th for works of fiction and nonfiction of up to 3,500 words.  This is only open to Canadian writers.

OBSERVATION

For whatever reason, when I switched from my writing blog Artistry with Words to this website, I lost some viewers.  From now on, then, I’ll post these on this website and also the Artistry blog.  Why? Because I hate to lose followers and friends, that’s why.

ONE LAST WORD

Resurrecting Tobias is now on sale in paperback and Kindle.  You can order my latest novel by following this link.

Thank you all and have a great week.

20 Responses to “The Horrible “P” Word”

1. 1authorcygnetbrown June 16, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

Hi Bill, just wanted to stop by and say hello. This has always been a difficult topic for me. I have always had a low self image and it makes it difficult for me to put myself out there. I much prefer to hide behind my books and the computer screen. I know though, if I am to receive the acclaim that I want from my writing, I must get out there and show my face to people once in a while.

• Billybuc June 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

Donna, I honestly understand. I hate this side of it. I guess it just comes down to how important it is for us….it really is our choice to do it or not. I struggle with it all the time. 🙂

2. Janine Huldie June 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

I was following you over on the other blog, but I never got notices when you did publish. I realized it last week when you published here and I clicked through again. So, sorry and trust me I would have been there had I known. Feel terrible, but didn’t get any alerts from the subscription for some reason. Happy you will be publishing here and you know I am here. Happy Monday 🙂

• Billybuc June 16, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

Thanks for letting me know, Janine. I’ll have to go in and see what’s up with that. I appreciate you taking the time to hunt me down and let me know. Have a most excellent adventure today.

3. Shauna L Bowling June 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

I’m glad you’re posting here again,also. I wasn’t receiving notifications of posts or comments from your website. What subscription tool are you using over there, Bill?

• Billybuc June 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

No idea, Sha, but until we get it worked out, I’ll post to this site as well. 🙂

4. froggy213 June 16, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

Hi Bill,

Great post! I just wanted to share the reason I believe you have lost visitors on your other blog. This blog sends me an email every time you post, the other one doesn’t. Whoops, I guess Shauna has mentioned it. That is the problem though.

Hope you get it fixed.

• Billybuc June 16, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Working on it now, Greg, but thanks.

5. Maria Ruiz June 16, 2014 at 4:15 pm #

Great share Billy. Short deep lesson. Thanks! You sure have a blessed heart. I really need to work on this “P” word.

• Billybuc June 16, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

Thank you so much, Maria. It’s good to have you stop by…as for my heart….I might as well use it, yes? 🙂

6. Ruchira Khanna June 16, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

oh! I hear ya, Bill

Self promotion is regarded shameless (by some) but then how can an author/writer promote his/her work?

Wishing you the best in this journey, my friend!

• Billybuc June 16, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

Ruchira, I happen to feel like it is shameless, but I don’t know of any other way. Thank you for your kind words.

7. Lea Tartanian June 16, 2014 at 8:33 pm #

Hi Bill: Personality is vital. I recently purchased a book from an author who was at Barnes & Noble for a book signing. I am very perceptive…she was pretty, had a nice smile, dressed appropriately, shook my hand, and I ended up buying her book. It’s so important to meet other authors and to support them. You won’t have any problem when you go to book signings. Any chance you could hit Upstate New York? Just asking. God bless, Lea/Sparklea 🙂

• Billybuc June 16, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

Lea, if it were up to me I would jump in the car and do a cross-country book signing trek…but that costs money…and I need to sell books to make money…the classic Catch 22. 🙂 Thank you dear friend.

8. randee June 17, 2014 at 2:12 am #

Hmmm, I’m thinking I may have lost you in the blog switch. Anyway! Congrats on the book. I’m going to check it out. That’s awesome!

• Billybuc June 17, 2014 at 2:26 am #

Thanks Randee. You aren’t alone being lost with the switch. I think we finally worked out the problems…and thank you for checking out the book.

• randee June 17, 2014 at 2:44 am #

So, where are you now? Is it a wordpress site or something else? Can you give me a link? Thanks!

• Billybuc June 17, 2014 at 3:26 am #

LOL…sorry about that….www.williamdhollandauthor.com….thanks, Randee

9. RealHousewifeSL June 17, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Hi Bill! I am having lots OG issues with my blog right now. I seriously tried not to think about it until today because it’s such a bummer. I didn’t have free time to fix it until today anyhow. Ugh.

I wasn’t getting notifications from your other blog either! I get this one in my email feed though so I wouldn’t miss it!

• Billybuc June 17, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

Kelly, technology will be the death of me. 🙂 I wish I could just write and let someone else do this tech crap. LOL…thanks for being persistent and visiting me, and good luck with your issues.