Sticking to the Plan

14 Jul

003Happy Monday to all my peeps.  How was your weekend?

I survived my weekend without Bev, but it wasn’t easy. Sixteen new baby quail kept me busy, as did chores and errands, as did the business of staying cool in this unusual heat we are having in Olympia.

I’m here, though, and my brain is exploding with ideas, so let’s get started.

You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.

Zig Ziglar
True words from the Zig Man!

What is your plan as a writer?  Do you have one?

I started writing professionally three years ago.  When I began, I sat down and wrote out a five-year plan.  I am happy to announce I am right on schedule.

The plan is stapled above my computer so it is always there as a reminder.

If you are a recreational writer, then forget about a plan.  Just write for your enjoyment and don’t worry about any of this nonsense.

But if you are a freelance writer, or a writer who has goals, then you should have a plan.  I have said this before, but it should be heard again:  the writer is his/her business, and what he/she writes is the product.

All businesses have a plan.  Ergo, you should have a business plan.

Write down what it is you want to accomplish.  Then write down how you are going to accomplish it.  Then take those “how tos” and put them on a calendar.

Get serious about your writing or get run over by those who are.

Let’s try something different today.  Write a metaphor or simile about this situation:  you are walking down the street, and you see a man trying to lift a very heavy box.

SITE OF THE DAY

If you are not there already, go to my website at www.williamdhollandauthor.com and check out my suggested reading list.  I add to it periodically, and I promise that I have read them all….thus the personal recommendation.

OFFER OF THE DAY

I’m still taking offers to guest blog here. Only one requirement and that is that the topic must be about writing.  Get in touch with me holland1145@yahoo.com and let’s chat.

MORE LATER THIS WEEK

Thanks as always…have a great week…thanks to those of you who have written reviews for my latest novel Resurrecting Tobias.  You are greatly appreciated.book cover

16 Responses to “Sticking to the Plan”

1. Janine Huldie July 14, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

I know you are totally are target and have the eye on the prize here for sure. So proud of you always and seriously just had to say that once again here. Glad you had a good weekend with your quail even if Bev was not around and wishing you a wonderful Monday and week ahead now, too!! 🙂

• Billybuc July 14, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

Thank you Janine. We all need support, and I always know I have yours, and that means the world to me.

2. Maria Ruiz July 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

“Getting serious” added to Zig’s quote gives this article an intensive encouragement. Thanks!

• Billybuc July 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

Maria, I want to see more from you. You are a fine writer who always has something of value to say.

3. Ruchira Khanna July 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

yup, a plan indeed!!

Right now my goal is to finish my manuscript which is sitting at 34K words, and whenever I sit down to write some interesting sweepstake comes by…lol

Glad you survived the weekend without Bev, Bill 🙂
    Wishing you success my friend!

• Billybuc July 14, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

Thank you Ruchira and best of luck with that sweepstakes. LOL

4. 1authorcygnetbrown July 14, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

I have a five year plan too. I just have to remember to update it more often, I think. I go off on little tangents sometimes, and that five year plan so far has been extended somewhat. Oh, well, back to writing!

• Billybuc July 14, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

Donna, when in doubt, write! Thank you and have a productive week my friend.

5. Shauna L Bowling July 14, 2014 at 5:17 pm #

The plan (or lack of one in writing) is where I slip up. I keep changing the kind of writing I want to do for income. At first I wanted to freelance to businesses. Now that doesn’t really interest me. I’ve been entering contests and sent my first query to a magazine as I told you last week. And eventually I’d like to finish my novel. I just need to figure out what kind of writer I want to be until that time comes.

• Billybuc July 14, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

It’s an interesting dilemma, Sha, and I’m certain it is one you share with many writers. Hopefully you’ll work through it soon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

6. Michael Milec July 15, 2014 at 12:38 am #

Hello my friend.
    From your pen even ” any of this nonsense” suggests serious consideration to enter into systematic preparation for consistency writing. Huh. ( I guess, writing as an exclusive “sport” where losing comes by personal decision .)
    Have a blessed week

• Billybuc July 15, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

Michael my friend, I will not lose. I am doing what I love to do, and my plan is a sound one. It is only a matter of time my friend.

7. Leslie July 15, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

Billy, your commitment is deeply respected, as is your professionalism. I have no doubt that you will meet every single one of your goals – and on time to boot! You say what you mean and mean what you say – and – quite eloquently as well i might add!
    Have a wonderful week my friendxx

• Billybuc July 15, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

Awww, thanks Sis! I’m driven, that’s for sure…I sure hope I’m not wasting my time LOL but how could that be when I love writing? I’m already a winner, as are you.

8. Suzanne Ridgeway July 15, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

Your quail rearing will be so interesting and I have never known anyone doing this Bill until now!So good knowing you are bang on track with your plan – it doesn’t surprise me though as you are a man with a mission for sure! Enjoy your week ahead my friend, will catch up later!!

• Billybuc July 15, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

Irish, tell MJ to build a coop and then you, too, can have some quail. 🙂 Good to hear from you dear friend. Sending hugs your way.