How to Promote an ebook

8 Jan

003Welcome back to another installment of Artistry with Words.  I’m your host, Bill Holland, and today we’re going to talk about promoting your ebook.

But first…..

Without promotion, something terrible happens… nothing!

1. T. Barnum

I was reading the latest newsletter by Hope Clark, self-publishing guru.  If interested you can find her by following this link.

Anyway, in her latest newsletter she talks about how watered down the literary market is today.  Never before has it been so easy to write and publish a book, and never before have the returns on each book been so small.

Let’s face it: anyone with a computer can write a book, and anyone with an IQ of 90 or better can publish an ebook.  What we are seeing today is a veritable flood of ebooks, and a subsequent lowering of standards.  In other words, it’s getting harder and harder to find a truly good book.

She advises that we concentrate on the one thing we have within our control:  producing the absolute best writing we are capable of.  That should be a writer’s first priority….quality work.

After that quality work is done, it is then time to publish and promote.  How many good writers have produced excellent work that has died in obscurity?  I would venture to guess tens of thousands.  As P.T. Barnum said, without promotion, something terrible happens…nothing!

I’m going to give you three promotion sites. I mentioned one of them last week.  I’ll add two more this week.  All three sites exist to promote ebooks.  Two charge a fee; one is free.  All might prove to be helpful to you if you have published an ebook but don’t know what to do after you have bored your friends and family with your Facebook announcements.

PROMOTIONAL SITES

The one I mentioned last week is Bookbub.  You can find their website here.  They are easily the largest of the three with the largest viewership and also the most expensive.

The second is called BookGorilla.com and you can find them here.  They are less expensive but they also reach a slightly smaller market.

The last one of the three is the newcomer.  Fussy Librarian.com is much smaller, much more selective when choosing authors, and they are free.  You can find them here.

I highly recommend that you check out these three sites if you’ve written an ebook or you are considering writing one.  They just might be the promotional tool you need for success.

THAT’S ALL, FOLKS

This was a slightly different installment but I think a worthwhile one for those of you who have ebooks sitting around collecting dust.  I hope you found it interesting and useful.

Have a great weekend.  Rest up and come back next week primed and ready for greatness.

18 Responses to “How to Promote an ebook”

1. Rosemary Amrhein January 8, 2015 at 3:46 pm #

Very nice, Bill, Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us.

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

Check them out, Rosemary….they just might be quite valuable to you. Thanks for visiting my humble site.

2. Janine Huldie January 8, 2015 at 4:01 pm #

Thank you once again for sharing some tips for e-book publishing and hoping someday soon I can use your wisdom on this to help me do this. Thanks again Bill and have a great weekend 😉

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 4:07 pm #

Thank you Janine. These sites really are helpful; especially the last one. It is growing quickly and right now it is free…a darned good deal.

3. Shauna L Bowling January 8, 2015 at 4:25 pm #

Great leads for eBook writers, Bill. Promotion is what it’s all about!

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm #

Thanks, Sha. I know I’m going to try the last one of the three I showed you.

4. Audrey Howitt January 8, 2015 at 4:46 pm #

So good to know Bill! I was wondering what to do with it once I finished –besides look at it that is!

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 5:40 pm #

Check them out, Audrey. You might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck and thank you.

5. ruchira January 8, 2015 at 6:05 pm #

Thanks Bill for showing guidance to people like me who hate to market thyself and thus hardly find sales.

Will look into it since the “showcase for free” sounds so good 🙂

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

It’s my pleasure, Ruchira. I hope those sites can help you along the way.

• ruchira January 8, 2015 at 10:53 pm #

hey bill…contacted the fussy librarian and they have a fee to advertise the book on their platform. just a FYI 😦

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 10:58 pm #

Thanks Ruchira. That must have just changed recently.

6. 1authorcygnetbrown January 8, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

Thanks for the promotional sites! I will have to check them out!

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

Thank you Donna. I hope those sites can do something for you.

7. denisewa58 January 8, 2015 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks, Bill, this information is really helpful!

• Billybuc January 8, 2015 at 7:49 pm #

I’m glad to hear it, Denise. Good luck and thanks

8. Graham. January 9, 2015 at 6:37 am #

Hi Bill. Yet more proof of the help and support you give your readers. W would not know of theses resources without you help.
    Graham.

• Billybuc January 9, 2015 at 3:01 pm #

I’m glad you find this useful, Graham. It takes so little effort to pass these things on to you all….but thank you.