Listening to your Muse

7 Apr

003Welcome back and Happy April to all of you. I hope you had a superb Easter with family and friends.  A new week is upon us and that means one thing:  writing!

Today is somewhat of a milestone for me.  This is the first Tuesday in over three years that I have not posted an article online.  The changes I have hinted at for awhile now are slowly taking place.  I’m gradually moving from articles to novels.  I’m not much of a believer in quitting cold turkey, so I’ll ease myself into this transition.  The bottom line is my muse is talking to me, and she is insisting that I spend more and more time writing novels and less time writing articles.  And I’ve learned never to argue with my muse.

I should be done with my novel this week and then I’ll start sending out query letters. Thanks to all of you who have followed  along on this journey.  I love this new novel. I love the characters, and I have already begun the next novel in this “Shadows” series.

The muse is not an angelic voice that sits on your shoulder and sings sweetly. The muse is the most annoying whine. The muse isn’t hard to find, just hard to like – she follows you everywhere, tapping you on the shoulder, demanding that you stop doing whatever else you might be doing and pay attention to her.

Harlan Coben

Ain’t that the truth, Harlan?

If you are a writer then you understand the concept of the muse.  She is, for lack of a better description, the creative voice that speaks to you, and again, if you are a writer, she is damned near impossible to ignore.  So why bother trying?

This is a simple tip that carries a ton of truth:  listen to your muse and follow her religiously.  She has your best interests at heart even though she can be a bit demanding at times.

SITE OF THE DAY

For those of you on the east coast, go take a look at the Muse Writing Center based in Virginia.  Here’s their website.

CONTEST OF THE DAY

Poetry, flash fiction and short story contests at this one Pulp Literature site….take a look here.

WRITER OF THE DAY

If you are a mystery fan then I invite you to read the works of William Kent Krueger.  You can find his website by following this link.

ONE FINAL NOTE OF IMPORTANCE

I’m probably going to let my website lapse for the time being, so this blog will only appear on the Artistry With Words blog site.  You can find it by following this link.

AND THAT’S ALL FOR THIS WEEK

Have a great week of writing and thank you for joining me today.  I’ll catch you again next Tuesday.

18 Responses to “Listening to your Muse”

1. Janine Huldie April 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

I love that you are doing more novel writing and less in the way of articles. I have decided for now that I am doing about two articles a week here and concentrating more on designing, as well as going back to revamping older articles, too. I like having more time for this other stuff and also frees me up from having to feel pressure to write, which I never want to feel as I do so enjoy to write, but still I think we just need to do what is best for us on all levels. So, Happy Tuesday to you Bill and hope you are enjoying your day so far! 🙂

• Billybuc April 7, 2015 at 2:58 pm #

Good for you, Janine, and good for me. I love that we realized a change had to happen and we took the steps to implement that change. Thank you for sharing that, Janine.

2. Shauna L Bowling April 7, 2015 at 2:46 pm #

A novelist is what you are, Bill. I’m glad you’re listening to your muse. I look forward to Shadows Kill and the sequel as well. Have a great week.

I started training for a part time job yesterday. Finish up today. I’ve found the need to supplement my income (editing jobs come and go; they’re not steady, nor is the work I do for my interior decorator client) and also am tired of being in seclusion. I need to be around people. The job is only 26 hours/week, which will still give me time to work on my business and craft. At least, that’s the way I see it.

• Billybuc April 7, 2015 at 2:59 pm #

Good for you, Sha. We do what we need to do and it sounds to me like a wise decision. I wish you the best. I’m sure it will all work out, and if it doesn’t you’l adjust accordingly.

3. denisewa58 April 7, 2015 at 3:25 pm #

I have taken to keeping note paper with me wherever I go for this very reason. I have some in every room of the house, and in my purse. When my “muse” won’t let me alone, I pull out the paper and write things down, then put the paper with my computer for my next writing session. Best of luck to you in your new adventures, Bill!

• Billybuc April 7, 2015 at 4:41 pm #

Great idea, Denise, one that I have suggested often to other writers. That way you never miss a message from your muse. Thanks for sharing that.

4. rollyachabotbooks April 7, 2015 at 4:00 pm #

Morning Bill and again thank you for sharing your insight. To pay attention to your muse is so very important although I might add I would like to take her out behind the woodshed and teach her how to read a clock. She seems to awaken while others sleep away the night… but you are right we should listen when she calls.
    I do like the many devices we can carry for note taking, my iPhone is filled with prompts I have recorded. Take a well earned rest my friend and looking forward to the new novel series. Resurrecting Tobias was a great read…

Hugs and Blessings from up there

• Billybuc April 7, 2015 at 4:42 pm #

Rolly, good morning friend. Yes, there have been times when I’d like to slap the muse and let me sleep. LOL Thank you for the well-wishes. I can hear my characters calling me and I must answer the call while I’m still able to write an intelligent sentence.

5. 1authorcygnetbrown April 7, 2015 at 11:06 pm #

As you probably guessed, my muse is my best friend. (I much prefer her to my internal editor.)

• Billybuc April 8, 2015 at 12:23 am #

You and me both, Donna. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by.

6. Lea Tartanian April 10, 2015 at 1:23 am #

Billy Buc, good for you for following your muse/intuition/calling! I have been amazed at how you have kept up with your articles and comments. I hope you will let me read your next manuscript, I truly care and I truly want you to succeed.
    Are you still taking on clients? Wondering if you set up blog sites for people or if that is something professionals do? I have always wanted to set up a blog site, but NO CLUE, as I am so low tech. IF people do this and if you are not one of them, can you recommend anyone I could hire? YOU would be my first choice. Just asking…as I know you want to focus on your novels, just as I do on my book. I totally understand.
    God bless you real good. I will stay in touch. Sparklea 😉

• Billybuc April 10, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

Good morning Lea and as always, thank you. Blog sites? I do my own on WordPress. They are free and terribly easy to do…..I could walk you through it if all you want is simple. Let me know.

7. Cristen Iris April 10, 2015 at 3:18 pm #

See you here from now on as I usually comment on your other blog site. 🙂

8. Audrey Howitt April 11, 2015 at 12:26 am #

I am feeling a bit behind these days–so a little late to this party–we all find our way in our relationship with our muse I think–I bite the bullet and write articles but only because poetry won’t even buy me a cup of coffee–

• Billybuc April 11, 2015 at 3:16 pm #

And Audrey, that’s a shame, because you are one of the good ones. I hope you never stop sharing your poetry with us.

9. Christy Birmingham April 17, 2015 at 11:59 pm #

I had to come by for my Bill fix. I know that you’re taking time away for your books 🙂 I still wanted to pop by and say I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Bill. Hugs, my friend!

• Billybuc April 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm #

Thank you Christy! I didn’t even post a blog this week. I am so immersed in my new novel that nothing else seems important. I appreciate you stopping by for your “fix.” Have a great weekend and hugs back atcha. 🙂