Training for the Marathon

2 Jun

003Happy Tuesday to you!  I’m not going to put the date because I never know which week I’ll post this.  Such is life.  I’ve been busy, and busy means priorities, and as much as I hate to say this, this blog is not a high priority for me right now….and I’m sure it isn’t for you, either.  So thank you for even being here and supporting me.

We continue to plug along in the construction of our new aviary.  We’re waiting for our order for netting to come in so we can enclose the new bird space.  Once that happens all I’ll have left to make is a door and then we can add the birds.  We’ll have quail of course.  Bev wants to add some finches, and I’m thinking a couple doves would be nice.  All are compatible, which is important of course.

It would be nice if we were done but we just have to be patient and make sure it is built as strong and safe as possible.

And I continue to work on the new novel, “Shadows Over Innocence,” while I send queries out for the last novel, “Shadows Kill.”  It’s all part of the process and again, it would be nice if I was done with it and success would arrive, but I just have to keep plugging along and do things correctly.

And that leads me to the quote of the day.

As long as we are persistence in our pursuit of our deepest destiny, we will continue to grow. We cannot choose the day or time when we will fully bloom. It happens in its own time.

Denis Waitley

We live in a convenience world.  I’m not immune. There are some things I want right now.  I readily admit to using the microwave oven much more than I should.  When I’m hungry I want to eat, dammit, and I don’t want to waste time cooking.

But there are some things in life you simply cannot have quickly, and achieving success in writing is one of those things.  Pack your bags and embark on the road of writing, but pack for a long journey.  One step in front of the other will bring you success, but if you are looking for a timetable, forget about it!

town_528

A visual prompt for you today. We visited a farm this weekend and I thought I’d share a picture from that visit and maybe it will awaken your muse.

CONTEST OF THE DAY

Writer of the Future has free science fiction short story contest going on.  Read about it here.  Did I mention it’s free?

JOB LISTING OF THE DAY

I thought I’d mention this in case you are a gardener and want to make some spare cash writing about gardening.  Follow this link and maybe you’ll get hired.  $75 per article ain’t that bad.

Reach out to a writer today.  A kind word is all it takes. I promise you that it will return to you.

MORE WHENEVER

You know how it is.  We’re all busy.  I don’t have time to do this blog on a regular basis and I know you don’t have time to read it, although you are always incredibly loyal.  Have a great week and I’ll see you down the road.

35 Responses to “Training for the Marathon”

1. froggy213 June 2, 2015 at 7:14 pm #

With that title Bill, I thought you were entering the Iron Man competition–LOL
    Thanks for the great post my friend and have a good week.

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 7:29 pm #

No chance of that happening, Greg. LOL Maybe a marathon walk around the block. 🙂 Thanks buddy!

2. denisewa58 June 2, 2015 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks, Bill. That is kind of where I am at today as well. I keep trudging forward, hoping for a break in the clouds. Every snippet of feedback that I receive from a reader is like manna in the desert of my soul at this time. I appreciate all of your encouragement and hope that I can do the same for you. Keep going! You will get there!

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 7:30 pm #

Thank you Denise. Like you, every comment I get reinforces why I do this in relative obscurity….because I love it!

3. Audrey Howitt June 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm #

I love your growing menagerie Bill–hang in there with the writing!

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 7:39 pm #

I will, Audrey. I’ve got nowhere else to go. Thank you and Happy Tuesday to you.

4. Janine Huldie June 2, 2015 at 7:49 pm #

Bill, always just happy to see an update from you and hoping you are enjoying this week so far now!! 🙂

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks Janine. It’s a busy few days around here with birthdays and a graduation, but all is well.

5. pagesvoice June 2, 2015 at 8:16 pm #

We have to make hay while the sun shines. It was good to read your blog. I haven’t written anything in quite a long time. My activities now are more focused on the outdoors and things I can’t do from October to April. This is a fabulous time of year and it is when I become fully engaged in life, once again.

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 9:06 pm #

Dennis, after the winter you had, I would be outside every single moment possible. Enjoy my friend. The writing can wait.

6. Sally Gulbrandsen June 2, 2015 at 8:53 pm #

Hi Billy,

Just spotted this one and had to stop by.
    I love the idea of writing a gardening article for money. I think I might have to have a go at that one. I want to share another of my mother’s expressions with you because I know you are such an appreciate audience.

She used to say, where there is muck there is manure, She always liked to spread bit of ‘muck’ in the garden and if you have manure, you can turn it that richness into wealth:)

Have a great week Billy, have a wonderful one outdoors if you can. There is more to life than a computer screen, trust me, there really is.

Sally

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

Well Sally I just love that saying of your mother’s. True words, my friend. Thank you!

Give that gardening article a shot. Who knows, right?

Heading outside now. The animals are letting me know they are hungry.

bill

7. Shauna L Bowling June 2, 2015 at 9:32 pm #

Bill, this post really speaks to me. All in due time, right? I’m an impatient person. There are some things you just can’t put a timetable on. Success in writing is one of them. It’ll come when the time is right. Sometimes we look down the wrong avenues and waste a lot of time doing so. However, there’s something to be learned in our mistakes or mis-guidances.

I needed this post right now. I’ve been feeling kind of forlorn and second-guessing myself.

Now, back to you. What is the mindset behind your aviary? Birds are so wonderful. I love their various songs and the way they greet the day. It makes me happy to hear them in the morning as I’m having my coffee.

On a sad note, I think yesterday’s storm has resulted in catastrophe. I’ve not seen my Pileated babies or their parents all day long today. I’m so worried. I even walked over to the nest tree today to see if there were stricken babies on the ground. I didn’t see any. The nest is too far up for me to see inside. I fear maybe they drowned or something. I really miss them. I wanted to see them take their maiden flights. I feel as if I’ve lost my own children. I wonder what Ma and Pa P are feeling right now…

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 9:53 pm #

Sha, thanks for the share. I expected to make some whopper mistakes when I started on this writing path and I have….not as many lately so that’s the good news.

Love the aviary and the birds. We make money on the quail…we’re going to add finches and doves soon. We just love having critters nearby to watch and listen to. Very peaceful.

Sorry about your woodpeckers. Maybe they are fine. Critters have a good sense of nature and they might have headed for better shelter before the storm. We’ll cross our fingers and hope.

bill

• Shauna L Bowling June 2, 2015 at 10:01 pm #

Bill, I hope so. The youngsters hadn’t yet taken their first flight. That’s why I’m so worried. As of my post yesterday, the parents hadn’t been spending time inside the nest. I know the babies were very close to becoming fledglings. Typically they stay in the nest and depend on their folks for about 60 days before taking off on their own. (How does that relate to human children?):-)

I’ve gotten so close to this family that my heart hurts. Florida storms can be pretty nasty. I’m praying the PW family is okay.

• Billybuc June 2, 2015 at 11:40 pm #

Best wishes, my friend. I hope it works out all right.

8. pictimilitude June 3, 2015 at 12:01 am #

Just sending a hello. 🙂 Life IS always an adventure, isn’t it? We made an offer on a house today. No idea if they’ll take it. But I can’t wait until my life settles down a little. For now, my diary calls. 😛
    Have a good one, BB. Hugs.

• Billybuc June 3, 2015 at 1:42 am #

Thanks for stopping by Lil Sis…good luck on that offer. I hope you get it, my friend.

• ruchira June 3, 2015 at 2:40 am #

Good luck with that offer, Cyndi
      xoxo

9. ruchira June 3, 2015 at 2:39 am #

Your title made me quickly click on your article, Bill.
    But where you were going with it…makes sense too 🙂

We all in this race with time, while trying to attain perfection and aspiring for a square footage of the sky towards fame or recognition 🙂

good luck!

• Billybuc June 3, 2015 at 2:42 am #

Thanks Ruchira, and good luck to you as well. As for where am I going with it….only time will tell.

10. Graham Lee. June 3, 2015 at 10:45 am #

Hi Bill. It’s nice to see that you are now taking a little time to ‘smell the farm’ we all need to take a break now and then. Keep smilin’
    Graham.

• Billybuc June 3, 2015 at 1:50 pm #

Thanks Graham! The farm demands my attention so I have no choice…but it is a labor of love, so no complaints from me.

11. suziehq June 3, 2015 at 12:34 pm #

Hi Bill, Apologies I am day late opening this . .tut . . .tut . . .tut!! Slap on hand for me as you smile away. I look forward to your Aviary grand opening, you gotta have a grand opening, right?? Doves wow, how gorgeous that would be and finches are so cute!
    Have a super week my friend and thanks for reaching out its put a smiley face here!

• Billybuc June 3, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

Hey, Irish, thanks for stopping by this morning and Happy Wednesday to you. You have no idea how much I appreciate you…..so a simple thanks doesn’t seem enough…but thank you.

12. Lea Tartanian June 3, 2015 at 2:15 pm #

Hi Bill, you continue to inspire with your wonderful heaven you are creating for God’s creatures. What a HEART you and Bev each have!
    I don’t blame you for cutting back on your blogs – everyone is busy – but I love reading them when the opportunity presents itself.
    I am praying every day that you get a hit with Shadows Kill. I KNOW you will!
    How is the second one coming? I can’t wait to read it…those 25 pages I already read have me wondering, “What is happening NOW???” I just love a mystery!
    I just sent Sha a personal note about her woodpeckers, I am so very sad for her, and I added her to my prayer list. I PRAY those birds return, she would be so happy.
    Have a great day, and you know I will stay in touch. Blessings Lea aka Sparklea 🙂

• Billybuc June 3, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

Lea, you are such a kind person. I felt bad for Sha too. We lost a guinea pig yesterday and it broke my heart to bury her. We do get attached to our animal friends, don’t we? Anyway, the second book is at 40,000 words and increasing slowly, but I like the story and I hope you will too.

blessings always dear friend

bill

13. Michael Milec June 4, 2015 at 2:39 am #

Patience would be growing in my garden only if I could get seeds to plant it… Long time ago a wise senior man in a small village told me : though God is almighty, he took time to create the world in six days. What a long days! We build our knowledge upon yesterday’s wisdom to plan our future, expecting surprises. Your diligence is being rewarded my friend, ( I am reading of your farm expansions.)

• Billybuc June 4, 2015 at 2:42 am #

Michael my friend, I can always count on you to bring wisdom to the table. Thank you for those wise words, words born from experience, which is always the best teacher.

Blessings always

bill

14. phoenix2327 June 6, 2015 at 11:17 am #

Bill, you remind me of my uncle. He had a passion for birds. He had two large aviaries in his garden filled with finches and parakeets. His front and backyards home to a
    free-roaming rooster, his harem and many chicks. On the front porch was a pair of breeding macaws. These were his babies and he had to know and trust you completely before
    he would consent to sell you of their offspring. If he deemed you unworthy, no amount of money would change his mind. I’ve known him to turn down offers of up to
    $2,000. My uncle’s absolute favourite though was a chatty cockatiel that used to perch on his shoulder while he watched TV.

Funny thing about success; sometimes it comes when you least expect it and doesn’t quite look like you thought it would. I always imagined success would appear as a huge,
    cataclysmic event; something you just couldn’t fail to notice. For some it may be that way. For me, it turned out to be a series of small events that signalled I was
    succeeding. At my writers’ group this week, I won Writer of the Year (Newcomer) and was voted onto the organization committee. The icing on the cake was being asked to
    submit one of my prize-winning entries for an anthology to celebrate the group’s 30th anniversary. In a few month’s I can call myself a published authour!!! It may not
    be the big, giant fireworks I imagined success would be, but it was certainly more than I expected when I walked into the meeting room that evening. All I know it I
    liked it and I want more of it. So it’s back to the journal to scribble away. I aim to get Writer of the Year (Established) next year.

Sorry for the long comment but this post really got me thinking that success isn’t a one-size-fits-all deal. I think it’s whatever makes you feel good about yourself and
    encourages to keep reaching for the stars.

• Billybuc June 6, 2015 at 3:04 pm #

Zulma, I’m grateful for any comment so thank you for sharing your thoughts…and your celebration. That is fantastic! I understand what you are saying about success and I agree with you. I am so happy for you…well-deserved, my friend, and I love that you are now going after the next award in line. Carry on and BRAVO!

• phoenix2327 June 7, 2015 at 12:58 pm #

Thank you, Bill. I can’t wait to see how lovely your aviary will be when it’s filled with flitting and tweeting birds. 🙂

• Billybuc June 7, 2015 at 2:48 pm #

Thanks Zulma! We finish it today and then the critters will have a new home.

15. Lynn Nodima June 9, 2015 at 3:33 pm #

I love quotes about persistence. My favorite is by Calvin Coolidge: “Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

Press On!

• Billybuc June 9, 2015 at 4:20 pm #

Lynn, thank you for sharing that quote. Now I’m jazzed and pumped. Great quote!