Turn the Page

4 Aug

003Happy August to you all!  I hope this finds you well and happy.  It’s been awhile since I invaded your online space.   I hope you don’t mind if I stick around for a few moments.

Summer has derailed me and I love that it happened.  I needed a break from the constant writing.  I had planned on having my second novel in the “Shadows” series completed by now, but the first draft isn’t even done yet, and I’m fine with that.  The farm has needed me more these past two months.  My family needed me more as well.

So here I am in August, about two months behind in my original plans and happier for it.   There must be a lesson there somewhere.  Oh wait, I think I know what it is.

“If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.”  Author unknown.

Writing is just one aspect of who we are.  I think it’s crucial that we remember that.  I remember for about twenty years when I introduced myself to someone I would say, “Hi, I’m Bill Holland, and I’m a teacher.”  That introduction was only partially true.  I was also a single father, a loyal friend, a part-time writer, a lover of baseball, an amateur historian, and a hundred other different things.  A more accurate introduction would have been, “Hi, I’m Bill Holland, and I’m a human being.”

Keep things in perspective and cut yourself some slack.  Writing is just part of your life.  What you don’t get done today you can tackle tomorrow, or the next day, or the next.  We are complicated farmers and we need to tend to all of our “crops.”

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

I don’t know.  I’m not feeling it any longer on this blog.  I doubt it will continue much longer.  I’m into urban farming big-time, and I really want to start a blog/website devoted to that topic. That way I can combine my two main loves, writing and urban farming.  The best of both worlds.  And I have the current novel I’m working on, and the final in that series waiting in the wings and then a memoir I want to write.

So, if you don’t see me much on this blog, that’s the reason.  I’ll be building new platforms and spreading my wings and flying as high as I possibly can.

And I wish the same soaring excitement for you.

28 Responses to “Turn the Page”

1. Janine Huldie August 4, 2015 at 5:35 pm #

Aw, Bill I think you know I have so much of a similar reaction to my writing this summer. Not that I don’t love it, but I needed to take break and be with my family more and got to admit not sorry one bit that I did do this right now. We are going to Disney this Saturday for a week, so I will be even less present for next week and couldn’t be happier. Just so excited and hoping that this downtime will give me renewed writing life for the fall. Happy to here you have been doing a bit of the same and definitely wish you a wonderful rest of the summer, too now 🙂

• Billybuc August 4, 2015 at 6:23 pm #

Janine, great to hear about Disney. I want you to have a fabulous time. Enjoy every minute of that family time and thank you for your friendship and words of support.

2. Audrey Howitt August 4, 2015 at 5:50 pm #

I think just living is enough sometimes. And enjoying life–hope you are doing that–I am away at music camp for two weeks–actually I am home for 24 hours on a day off–and then heading back up tonight–teaching music theory, teaching a gazillion voice lessons and singing in recital–organic food every day that I don’t have to cook–it feels a bit like an artists’ colony for two weeks–a slice of heaven–enjoy your time Bill–

• Billybuc August 4, 2015 at 6:24 pm #

Audrey, that sounds like heaven. I am enjoying life and I’m not feeling guilty about it at all. 🙂 Enjoy your time there and thank you.

3. Shauna L Bowling August 4, 2015 at 5:50 pm #

Bill, I think starting a blog dedicated to urban farming is a great idea. I always look forward to Deb’s Counting My Chickens because it’s personal, fun, and educational. I think your farming blog would do very well.

I know what you mean about burn-out. Well, you didn’t say that specifically, but I got the gist. I haven’t posted on HP since June and only recently put a new blog up on my site. We need to change things up from time to time. We are not one dimensional humans. Sometimes we find ourselves in a rut if we don’t add some variety to our lives.

As you know, I’ve been looking for full time work. I’ve grown quite weary of working in my office with no human contact. It’s affected my spirit, creativity, and motivation.

I have a good shot at a copywriting position with a firm in downtown Orlando. They’re hiring process is very long and drawn out as they are looking only for “A-players”. So far, I’ve made it through the first three rounds, with more to come. It’ll be great working with other creatives and having real face time with the human race. I’m actually grateful they’re taking their time. It’s giving me some space to de-stress and attend to other things. I still have my interior design client to keep me in the writing mode, and for that I’m thankful as well. In fact, I was just looking over a hub I started many moons ago and thought I’d work on that, when he called this morning needing copy for the August issue of a local magazine.

So, all is good. Shaking up the routine is a necessary part of life. One I almost forgot when I sequestered myself to my tiny home office.

Just as our characters have a way of telling the story for us, so does life. Our muses have a way of touching us in various aspects of life. When they speak, we listen.

• Billybuc August 4, 2015 at 6:26 pm #

Gosh, Sha, I’m not sure I can add to that. What a great summary of life. Best of luck on that job interview process. I hope you get exactly what you want and deserve. Blessings dear friend.

4. denisewa58 August 4, 2015 at 6:42 pm #

I love your quote of the day, Bill! It certainly applies to my life at this time! I have been corresponding with family as my father is in a care center following a brush with death. Thankfully, the blood clot was able to be removed, but life was on hold in the mean time. I wish you the best in your urban farming endeavor, as well as the other aspects of your life!

• Billybuc August 4, 2015 at 6:45 pm #

Thank you Denise, and I hope the worst is over regarding your father. My best to you and your family.

5. ruchira August 4, 2015 at 7:51 pm #

I actually love that line, Bill.
    Hi, I’m Bill Holland, and I’m a human being.”

And also agree that one should learn to let go and go with the stride cause writing is all about inspiration.

With the third novel ready, and looking for a publication house…I was kinda uneasy about the fourth one since no idea was cropping until this morning when i went to the local library with my kid..each of my cell in the body is on fire :))

• Billybuc August 4, 2015 at 7:59 pm #

Fantastic news for you, Ruchira. Now I’m excited for you. 🙂

6. phoenix2327 August 5, 2015 at 8:09 am #

I’ll miss this blog should you decide to discontinue it, but I get it. I find I’ve let things go that a year ago I thought were so important. Much to my relief, my world didn’t come to an end when this happened, it just got bigger. The writing is taking down a different path and I will follow it because it feels right. I suspect it’s the same with you.

I can tell you love urban farming; it shows when you right about it. If you decide to start a blog about it, you can be sure I’ll be reading it. Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

Happy Hump Day/Wednesday to you.

• Billybuc August 5, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

Happy Hump Day to you, Zulma. Thank you for the encouragement. Writing has always been about passion for me, and I follow that passion. Right now it is urban farming. Who knows what it will be next year?

7. 1authorcygnetbrown August 5, 2015 at 11:48 am #

To everything there is a season, this is your season for urban gardening and my season this year is writing. I do think though that as the days grow shorter you’ll find yourself in front of your book during those darkened hours. I am thinking that as I get my current book launched and since I have the second drafts of the next two books done, I will have more time to spend working on my own wilderness urban garden.

• Billybuc August 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

I’m sure, Donna, when the darkness falls I will be writing more. Right now I have so much to do outside and so little of summer left. Thanks for your thoughts.

8. Deb at Counting My Chickens August 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

Bill, it’s about time you took a little break. I never knew how you did it all, anyway. 🙂 But with that said, I would love to see you join me in the urban farming (or, in my case, suburban farming) blog world. When you are ready to begin, I have some great groups I will be happy to introduce you to. They have been wonderful resources for me. Just shoot me a note when you are ready for more info.

• Billybuc August 5, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

I appreciate that, Deb. Thank you! I’m just taking a break from this blog. I’m definitely not taking too much of a break. I love writing too much. Just shifting priorities a little bit.

9. pictimilitude August 6, 2015 at 1:02 pm #

Big Bro, I’ve been thinking about you lots! I have not been very “connected” in the online world lately. Why? For so many reasons.
    First, our transition. Which is almost complete. For years we wanted to be closer to town and closer to family and yes, it’s finally happening. We closed on the house on July 14, but between fixing things up (yes, it had been vacant for 6 years so we had to shore things up), seeing family in Colorado, a much-needed trip to the beach, we are slated to move in this weekend. Whew!
    Second, I’m still writing – just that journaling is calling to me so much more lately. It’s such an outlet and you don’t have to worry about “comments and maintaining websites.” lol
    Third, I’ve been reading lots of personal development books. The kind that hopefully lead you to be your highest self.
    Fourth, more than writing, more than teaching, I still have that creative pull. I’m carving out time to be creative…which will lend itself to writing publicly again – eventually.
    I share this because I do still want to keep in touch. I still want to maintain that connection with kindred spirits. 🙂 And more so than ever, I feel compelled to follow ONLY the things that resonate. Writing in the form of blogging or hubbing hasn’t called to me in a long time. And social media is even calling to me less and less. So…I’m making it a point to start visiting my favorite peoples’ blogs more and more. 🙂 Even if I don’t maintain my own. I’ve got other things cooking anyways.
    So here’s to creativity, doing things you love and living life to the fullest. Hugs!

• Billybuc August 6, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

Lil Sis, that was the perfect comment. I love that you love your life. No matter which path you take, I know it will be the right one for you at that time…and when it isn’t, you’ve shown a willingness to take another path, and I love that about you. Thanks for thinking of your big brother. Best wishes in that new house, which is full of memories waiting to happen.

10. Melanie Chisnall August 10, 2015 at 1:30 pm #

Hey Bill! I haven’t been around too much online – or I have, just all over the show. Things are topsy turvy here… hunting for a new job, again. But such is life… got to play the hands you’re dealt, hey? I moved the Quiet Mosaic over to a paid domain – it’s here if you want to follow: http://www.quietmosaic.com. I’m dabbling in some of the other blogs now and then when I feel like it – not because I ‘have’ to – I think that’s why I stopped blogging for so long. So glad to hear you took some time out from writing for your farm and your family. 🙂 And you know when you stop blogging over here, I’ll follow you wherever you go – just give me a head’s up! I love reading your updates about the baby animals and how everything is coming together. What an awesome adventure to be building something that brings you so much joy.

• Billybuc August 10, 2015 at 1:53 pm #

Thank you Mel. It’s always nice having you stop by for a visit. Summer is coming to an end and the chores are just about done for this season. Then I suspect my writing will pick up again. Thanks for the website…I’ll stop by now.

bill

11. Michael Milec August 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

Hello Bill. To miss this one would be an unforgivable sin committed to my incapacitating damage. Thusly,- in your words “I am a human being and I am still here”( supposedly.) You have been the one injecting living substance into my writ-ing- ers – existence and suddenly you would be gone… A year ago a pillar / iniciator of my coming to the HP has gone forever and my progression has been slowing down since… “Where do I go from here?I do not know” – your phrase fits custom made and conclusive simultaneously… Thats just fine. I would feast on great memories trying to cool off my head boiling with the ideas which I try to communicate in fewer words possible. Future might be dim at the moment, but my vision goes beyond the horizon where the endless potential expect to be discovered.
    May God continue blessing you and yours my friend.
    Michael

• Billybuc August 10, 2015 at 9:14 pm #

Michael, your words are poetry to me. Thank you. I’m not going anywhere. My writing will continue to flow until I take my last breath. I may change my focus but never stop writing. It is too important a part of me.

Thank you my friend, and peace be with you always.

• Michael Milec August 11, 2015 at 1:55 am #

The quote you have provided deserves prime attention , and I apologize for overlooking it in my first comment.
        By your permission, please as I see it:
        The UNKNOWN Author with the most insightful knowledge the nature of God; as well as vanity of men making God to laugh.-

“If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.” Author unknown –

“ Why do the nations gather together? Why do their people devise useless plots?
        Kings thane their stands. Rulers make plans together agains the Lord and against his Messiah by saying,
        ‘Let’s break apart their chains and shake off their ropes.’
        The one enthroned in heaven LAUGHS. The Lord makes fun opt them.

One of a rare instances God does laugh on “man’s plans” . Quite interesting.
        Peace.

• Billybuc August 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm #

Michael my friend, I have no answer for why the nations do what they do….there are parts of life that are a mystery to me, and that is just one of them. :

Peace be with you my friend.

12. Lea Tartanian August 12, 2015 at 3:24 am #

HI BILLY BUC: I have to say I LOVE the background of your blog…the scenery appears to be 3D to me. It is so serene and beautiful!

Reading your excellent blog I can totally resonate with what you are sharing here, and I am learning that people just change as they are growing…me being one person and you another…as well as the contributors on hub pages. No one stays the same because we are growing. We each go through seasons…our intuitions tell us when to take a break from one thing and focus on another for awhile aka urban farming, which you have kindly shared with your readers.

In between working on my book at a turtle pace things just happen. I have lost my dear sister in law in July, and my dear cousin August 5th. Now our wonderful cat, Frodo has to have an ultrasound, to check for possible kidney failure and he has a couple stones in his bladder. I have done so much weeping from the sting of death and sobbing over this cat who looks at me and purrs with so much love. But it is a season which we will all experience.

I read all the wonderful comments on the above blog. I would love to start a blog in the near future. Writing is my passion, but I love to read what others share also.

I continue to grow from what you share here, and even if you take a break from your blog, I will still see you on Face Book, the hubs, and continue to enjoy your novel which I have
    been reading in the midst of all the brouhaha that has been going on in the last few weeks. It is sooo excellent and I love that there is not one boring sentence. Some books I have read bog down in places. Yours does Not. I am on the journey with you!

Enjoy your animals, I know I am enjoying reading about them. God bless always, Sparklea 😉

• Billybuc August 12, 2015 at 4:54 pm #

Lea, I’m having trouble with the internet and my computer today, so I need to make this quick before it shuts down again. Thank you so much for your kind friendship. I appreciate you more than you know.

13. Dee September 2, 2015 at 3:57 am #

I have enjoyed reading your blog posts, Bill. You have encouraged me and taught me a few things about life and writing. I just read your Urban Farming blog a few minutes ago and it is another extension of your creativity and talent.

• Billybuc September 2, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

Thank you very much, Dianna. That is so sweet of you.