Take a Chill Pill

21 Aug

003I have a few spare minutes this morning so why not? Why not another installment of my blog?  I can’t think of a single reason why not, so let’s do it.

Bev’s son is dating a woman who has a goat and chicken farm.  She’s got about ten acres and it is a joy to visit her and see all the animals.  It’s also cool because we get freebies from time to time.  One of those times happened several weeks ago when Rachel gave us a couple fertilized chicken eggs.  We’ve been meaning to try incubating chicken eggs but hadn’t gotten around to it, so Rachel’s little gift was very welcomed.

We did our thing with the incubator, provided loving care for those two eggs for twenty-one days, and last week we were rewarded.  The first little Silkie broke her egg about eight in the morning.  She was a healthy chick and we were excited.  The second one, however, cracked her egg but then struggled to get out.  This struggle went on for several hours at which time we decided to intervene.  Bev finished the cracking process and took the little guy out.  He didn’t respond at all.  He was breathing but he was still in the fetal position, and it didn’t look good for him.

Eight hours passed like that and eventually we moved her to the brooder so she could be with her healthy sister.  We figured, quite honestly, it was as good a place to die as any.  She was unresponsive and we figured she would be dead in the morning.

Next morning we went in to check on her and she was standing next to her sister chirping up a storm.

A week later both sisters are healthy and happy.

What in the world does this have to do with writing?

I’m not in control of my muse. My muse does all the work.

Ray Bradbury

So here’s the thing:  there is no rushing creativity.  I can no sooner sit down and force a story or article to appear than I can control nature.  Creativity happens when it happens and not a moment before.  If I’m having trouble with a chapter or an undeveloped story, I walk away from it.  I trust my muse enough to know she will find me when she’s good and ready to do so.

Just like the chicken.

Chill out!  It will happen when it happens.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What are your writing plans for September?

It’s ten days away.  Do you know what you want to accomplish in September?  Anything?  Share in the comment section if you want.  Maybe the rest of us will find some inspiration from your plans.

THAT’S IT FOR THIS WEEK

Consider this a bonus. I wasn’t planning on doing this blog this week, but so much for my plans. J  Have a great week of writing. You deserve one!

22 Responses to “Take a Chill Pill”

1. denisewa58 August 21, 2015 at 3:41 pm #

My goal for September is to get back into sending out queries. I took a brief hiatus from it while my father and father-in-law were battling with health issues and things were on the rocks at work. Now that things have settled down a bit, I have the gumption to get back at it.

• Billybuc August 21, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

I’m glad to hear it, Denise. Good luck with that and thanks for sharing it with us.

2. Janine Huldie August 21, 2015 at 5:22 pm #

Bill, I couldn’t agree more and am learning slowly but surely that writing and creativity cannot nor should be rushed. I think if I learned anything this summer that was totally it. Thanks my friend for the reminder and have a great weekend now!! 😉

• Billybuc August 21, 2015 at 6:03 pm #

Glad to hear it, Janine. It’s been obvious that you have cut back on your writing and I really think that is a good thing. Thanks as always and have a wonderful weekend.

3. Lea Tartanian August 21, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

Billybuc; I am LOVING your blogs, short, interesting, genuine, wonderful nuggets about the art of living. Why are you writing about a chicken? Because of your love, concern, big heart and you let your true feelings flow through your pen/computer keys/whatever! I LOVE the story about the little struggling chick, and I was 100 percent involved with the biting my nails drama on whether or not it would survive. And it DID. I wanted to run outside and shout, “THE CHICKEN LIVED!” I can’t wait to read your upcoming blogs.
    God bless you real good today and always, hi to Bev hugs to all your critters. Do write more about the goats, and I LOVE the quail!

• Billybuc August 21, 2015 at 7:14 pm #

Thank you as always, Lea. We were absolutely floored when we woke up that morning and we had two healthy chicks. I was ready to bury the one the night before. Shows you how much I really know. 🙂 When I let go and let God everything works out just the way it’s supposed to.

blessings always

• Saverjo.wordpress.com August 21, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

Hey, Bill, thanks for this uplifting article. As for September, guess I’m playing chicken.:)
        Lovely story!

4. Billybuc August 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm #

Chicken is a good game in situations like that. 🙂 Thanks for the visit and Happy Weekend, my friend.

5. marlenebertrand August 22, 2015 at 12:38 am #

Bill, thank you for sharing such a touching story. I was wholeheartedly rooting for the little chicky. I’m glad life prevailed. Goals… well, my little voice-over how-to book is selling, but my little short story book is not. I figured, since my how-to book is selling, perhaps I should write a companion book. Maybe I could offer a BOGO (buy one, get one). I don’t know. Anyway, for the month of September I will be working on a how to do voiceover book from the actor’s point of view. Have a good weekend, Bill. And, say hello to Bev and the animal clan. I just love hearing about them.

• Billybuc August 22, 2015 at 1:14 am #

Marlene, I think that’s the path I’d take too. Go with what’s hot at the moment. Good luck to you on that companion book. And I will tell Bev you said hello. Do the same to your husband for me please.

6. ruchira August 22, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

I agree with your philosophy Bill.

When the time will come…we will get our share of luck, prosperity, success. I believe in the universal energy and it channels through our lives when the need arises…just gotta have faith!

I am glad your chickens survived and living well 🙂

• Billybuc August 22, 2015 at 4:35 pm #

Thank you Ruchira! Universal energy….I can sign up for that philosophy. 🙂

7. 1authorcygnetbrown August 22, 2015 at 6:03 pm #

What am I doing in September? Well, part of what I am doing is working on my author/publishing company business plan, marketing my latest books, editing the 2nd drafts of books I wrote as well as getting ready to write the first draft of next book (6th) in The Locket Saga!

• Billybuc August 23, 2015 at 3:09 pm #

Well, Donna, I think your September is pretty full. 🙂 Best wishes as the month unfolds.

8. Shauna L Bowling August 23, 2015 at 4:10 pm #

I’m so happy the little chicklet made it. Goes to show you what love and determination will do!

I’m not sure what September will bring for me creatively speaking. I think once I find a job and am able to pay my bills my muse will once again find her spot. I think getting back to writing as a joy rather than a job will help. Trying to build a business became too stressful for me and affected my motivation to write, which squashed the creative side of my brain.

So, as Doris Day said, “ke sera sera”!

• Billybuc August 24, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

Whatever will be, will be, Sha, and I have no doubt you will work it out and make it work. Thanks for sharing that. A new chick was born last night and is doing well.

9. phoenix2327 August 25, 2015 at 10:37 am #

Oh, I’m so happy the little one made it. I have a soft spot for chickens.

September already! That means the holiday season is almost upon us. I guess my September will involve making decorations for the various holidays. Why am I sitting here? I need to get to the craft shop. (grabbing purse and heading out the door)

• Billybuc August 25, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

Zulma, you have no time to be writing comments. LOL There’s shopping to do, my friend. Good luck with those crafts and thanks for the visit.

10. Karen August 25, 2015 at 1:45 pm #

Hey Billy ~ Great chick story! ~:0) You and Bev seem to have great instincts for what to do with your animals. Putting the struggling chick with her healthy sister was a great idea!

Yes, having some type of spiritual practice, like walking a labyrinth, is good to keep us close to our muses. My labyrinth walking habit has paid off. I can let go a bit and trust her more. Wrote the prologue to the novel I am working on, and am a few sentences into chapter one. May be more by the end of the day today.

My main goal for September is to keep sitting in the chair and putting my hands on the keyboard to see what my muse prompts me to write. So far, it’s been very exciting! I also plan to find a few writing contests to enter.

Thanks for a great surprise installment of “Artistry with Words.”

• Billybuc August 25, 2015 at 1:49 pm #

Karen, thank you! I like your plan for September. It’s pretty hard to get any writing done if you don’t actually, you know, write. 🙂 Good luck with that novel.

11. MelCh September 12, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

Hi Bill! I know it’s very late to be commenting over here and I don’t even know if you’re still writing here… but thought I’d try, I can’t remember the name of your new blog, sorry! “Chill out” – yes! I need to be doing more of that. September writing plans… filling up Imagine You with more posts, I really am loving every minute of this passion project this time round. Feels more fun, less like a chore 😉 Please let me know the name of your new blog so I can check it out and show my support. Have a great Saturday!

• Billybuc September 12, 2015 at 2:58 pm #

Thanks for stopping by, Mel. I’m sorry we’ve lost touch with each other’s blogs. I don’t like it when that happens. I’ll send you the web site over Facebook, okay?