Looking Ahead While Leaning on Yesterday

5 Jan

003HAPPY 2016 TO YOU ALL

My goodness, where does the time go?  I know, I know, we all say that, but I swear, I blinked and 2015 flew by me.

Reflection: I started writing on HubPages four years ago.

Reflection: I started my freelance writing career four ½ years ago.

Reflection: I finished my first novel 4 ½ years ago.

How much more can I do?

A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown.

Denis Waitley

Isn’t that what all writers do, break out of their comfort zone?  Every single time we publish something we are basically sending it out to strangers asking for feedback and hoping to the gods that feedback is kind…..that in no way can be described as a comfortable activity.  And yet we do it, day in, day out, weeks, months and years.

But worse than that uncomfortable feeling is the feeling that no one out there cares about our writing, that we are spinning our wheels and making no impact at all….that our writing will be met with a huge, collective yawn.

And yet we keep moving forward……

WHERE I AM HEADED

I don’t do resolutions. I set realistic goals and then, come hell or high water, I achieve those goals.

This week, or next week at the latest, I’ll publish the next novel in the Shadow series, “Shadows Over Innocence.”  Glad to have that behind me and moving forward.  I’m going to price this one very low to reward all those who have loyally followed me.

And forward means a new printing of my first novel, “The 12/59 Shuttle From Yesterday to Today” and also making it into an ebook.   Forward also means a new novel and the first in a new ebook novella series (99 cents each) about Billy the Kid.

I’ll continue on HubPages because that’s where my home is and my friends are.  I’m going to try and publish three articles per week on HP but most likely it will only be two per week since my new outside job is taking up quite a bit of my time.  Hey, I just hit four years on HP…well whoopdidoo!

So that’s it for me.  I’ll stay busy.  I’ll have fun.

And I’ll thank the stars that I am a writer!

ONE FINAL NOTE

I recently started following a writer on HP by the name of Swalia.  She is from India and she has written at least ten articles about Vastu Tips….Vastu for Apartments…Vastu tips for newlyweds…that sort of thing.  Pretty unique idea and she is definitely the only writer I’ve known to take on that niche.

What do you do that is different?  How are you unique as a writer?

Just something to think about.

23 Responses to “Looking Ahead While Leaning on Yesterday”

1. Janine Huldie January 5, 2016 at 5:30 pm #

Aw, once again Happy New Year to you, Bill and love your outlook for 2016. I am truly so glad you were on Subpages back when I started as not a day goes by that I don’t value the friendship that came out of us meeting that way. Some I met back then have come and gone, but so glad that you are still writing and here to share with all of us. Now also wishing you a wonderful day ahead still, too!! 🙂

• Billybuc January 5, 2016 at 6:02 pm #

Janine, you and others like you are the reasons why I’m still on HP…I love this community of writers, and many, like you, have become very good friends…and it was all for free. What a great value!

Thank you and Happy Tuesday to you.

2. Janine Huldie January 5, 2016 at 5:31 pm #

Sorry, meant Hubpages and my autocorrect seems to not want to recognize that word at all today for some reason 😉

3. denisewa58 January 5, 2016 at 5:44 pm #

You are the one, Bill, that helped me to find my “niche.” Writing about emotional health has been a great way for me to get “out there.” More people respond to my articles, and I get both better feedback and better exposure. I appreciate your encouragement and comments. I hope the best for you in all you do.

• Billybuc January 5, 2016 at 6:03 pm #

Thank you so much, Denise. If I helped you then I am the one who is grateful and happy.

4. ruchira January 5, 2016 at 7:27 pm #

Boy! you are such an inspiration.
    I started on HP but rarely go there…although your articles on HP when I read them makes me wanna go and write too. Just not getting enuf time and ideas to pen down 700 words right now…
    But, as you continue I shall continue to get inspired 🙂

Congrats on your anniversary, Bill

• Billybuc January 5, 2016 at 7:41 pm #

Thank you Ruchira. If I inspire anyone then I am gratified.

5. Shauna L Bowling January 5, 2016 at 8:58 pm #

Happy New Year, Bill!

I’m pleased to hear you’re re-publishing 12/59. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I must say, it’s still my favorite. I love all your novels, but that one just has a special spot for me.

I don’t make resolutions either. Resolutions are like rules; they’re made to be broken.

Congrats on 4 years with HP. I hit my 4 year mark in October. I think you and I met shortly after you joined and we’ve become great friends. That’s what I love about HP.

Gotta go. I have a new article to post on HP but am waiting until time to feed my cats so I don’t get interrupted and risk getting that “working” circle pop up before I’m finished!

• Billybuc January 5, 2016 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks, Sha, for taking the time to read and comment. Four years…very good years with some quality people…friends for life, Sha…gotta love it!

6. Sally January 5, 2016 at 10:48 pm #

Hello Billy,
    Four years on HubPages! My how the time does fly and you have achieved so much in such a short time. I don’t know how you do it.
    Nothing stays the same and things move on and it is possible that your life is set to take a slight change of direction with your new commitments. I don’t consider that a bad thing, think that change really is as good as a holiday.
    Funny, I saw you were online late last night on FB and I had it in my mind to send you a few words of cheer but for some reason I held back so I am sending them to you now for I know that you have given so much of yourself to so many people over the past three years which I have spent on HubPages. I think it is my turn to say, thank you, Billy, for always being there.

• Billybuc January 5, 2016 at 11:12 pm #

Sally, that is such a lovely thing for you to say…and do. Thank you! I consider myself pretty lucky. For four years I have had new friendships handed to me for no cost…what a wonderful bargain that is. 🙂 Thank you for your friendship and your giving nature.

7. Cynthia January 5, 2016 at 11:29 pm #

Dang I miss HubPages – but I miss it before I became “an apprentice.” The act of publishing a perfectly polished article every time with perfect evergreen status sort of killed my desire to write more hubs in favor of writing about “stories from a hypersensitive creative.”
    But well, I have great relationships with people from the days I wrote there more. 🙂 I have made some awesome, awesome friends.
    Wow. Four years. I got my four year badge in November. I unpublished about 30 hubs that hadn’t had views in months and I’m happy with what I have there…for now.
    These days I still like to keep up with my good friends (ahem, Big Bro, hehe) while exploring art…and just sharing for sharing’s sake. No pressure and a lot of relaxing fun…from a stressful (but rewarding) job.
    You know one of my favorite things about you? Your persistence. You really have what it takes to tackle something for the long haul. You have follow through. These are skills that I greatly admire, for I need to work on those. So, keep on being the shining star that you are. 🙂 You’re an inspiration.

• Billybuc January 5, 2016 at 11:49 pm #

Awww, Lil Sis, that was sweet. Thank you! Persistence or stubbornness? I’m not sure which. I may not ever make it big, but it won’t be because I gave up. And there’s no quit in you, and what I love about you is your willingness to try something and if it doesn’t work move to the next, and the next, and the next…you are constantly seeking…and it’s beautiful to witness.

Thanks Sis….seriously…thank you!

8. Donna January 6, 2016 at 11:12 am #

I have not been on Hubpages for awhile but still enjoy reading your words. . You have a touch of “life coach” in many of your posts which I have found very encouraging and inspiring. Your words do have an impact for me. I’m not sure of where I will end up on this journey, but wanted to say thanks.

• Billybuc January 6, 2016 at 2:34 pm #

Well I appreciate that, Donna. Thank you very much for your friendship and following. Every one of us impacts the other in some way. For sure you do me.

9. Deb at Counting My Chickens January 6, 2016 at 2:29 pm #

Happy New Year, Bill. I continue to be impressed by what you have accomplished over the four years I have known you. I wish I was even half that productive. I’m actually working on a new article for Hubpages, though. I published a grand total of one hub in 2015 and figured I better do at least that for 2016. 🙂

• Billybuc January 6, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

Deb, one? Well it should be fairly easy to beat that, right? 🙂 I appreciate you, my Iowa friend. Best wishes and thank you!

10. MelChi January 8, 2016 at 12:01 pm #

Happy new year to you Bill! Aaaah, it sounds like you’ve got some great things set for 2016. I sometimes wish I was as consistent as you with the blogging and HubPages (I miss that place! Just don’t have the time), but I get bored after about 7-9 months and then I just want to start something new. Something about the excitement of fresh things online. So I’m just grateful to be in a job which is constantly evolving and keeping up with the latest in the digital world, very exciting! So glad you are still writing on this blog, I love coming here to read your latest tips and the quote of the day… today’s one resonates so well with me. Well, it’s boiling hot over here, hope you’re keeping warm that side. Have a great weekend friend!

• Billybuc January 8, 2016 at 2:34 pm #

Mel, it’s always good to hear from you. Time is not on my side right now. Working many hours and trying to continue writing….I’m feeling the pressure to produce. But all things pass in time, don’t they? And my life is very good even on its worst day.

Take care my friend. Stay cool!

11. phoenix2327 January 9, 2016 at 11:17 am #

And a Happy New Year to you, Bill.

• Billybuc January 9, 2016 at 4:14 pm #

Thank you kindly, Zulma! Let’s hope 2016 is the greatest year yet!!!!!

12. Greg Boudonck January 10, 2016 at 1:26 am #

Ahh, the comfort zone. You spoke that with grace. I also wonder if people really care about my writing, and then I get those inspiring comments from people like you. Bill, onward ho. Writing is the air we breathe my friend. Happy New Year!

• Billybuc January 10, 2016 at 2:23 am #

It is for sure, Greg! I can’t imagine not writing. Happy New Year my friend.