Education of the Senses

13 Mar

003And a very Happy March to you all!  A serious windstorm is blowing through here today…hoping the power stays on because I’ve got over 200 quail eggs in incubators as I write this.

Is there any point in all this blogging?

Probably, if done correctly.  I don’t do anything correctly except write, so pay no attention to my meager attempts at blogging.  I just toss out a few morsels from time to time, keep in touch with you all and move on to the next day in my writing career.

So, what’s happening in my writing career?  I’m days away from publishing the first in the Billy the Kid Chronicles, my attempt at pulp fiction.  I’ll price it as low as possible so it doesn’t break anyone’s bank, and I hope, if you buy it, you’ll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.  As you may or may not know, this is a novella, about 25,000 words, and is about a character I first introduced in a series of short stories on HubPages.  I just took the short stories, combined them, added some seams, tossed in some continuity,  a pinch of character development, a splash of scene description, fine-tuned it all around a plot and presto-chango, a short novel was born. Update…it’s published….go to this link.

The second in the series is being re-worked as we speak, and my goal is to add one to the series each month.

While that is going on, I’m still waiting for a plot and conclusion to reveal itself to me for my sequel to “The 12/59 Shuttle.”  As soon as it does I’ll begin writing that novel.

And that’s it….shall we move on?

“We cannot create observers by saying ‘observe’, but by giving them the power and the means for this observation and these means are procured through education of the senses.”   Maria MontessoriMt. Rainier 2010 084

I think I’ve mentioned before….if so, and you’ve heard it, I’m sorry…if not, great!

I work part-time now outside the house.  My job is as a salesman/merchandiser for a coffee company and a kitchen gadget company.  The two gigs take me about eighteen hours a week, and those eighteen hours are spent in grocery stores displaying product and talking to store buyers.

One of the reasons for taking the jobs was a need for money to meet unexpected expenses, but the other reason was because I needed to get outside the writing studio and become a part of society again before I went crazy.  I’ve been doing this writing thing, full-time, for four-and-a-half years, and that’s a long time to be alone without any real interaction with the outside world.

I was ready for a change.

And it has turned out great!

Besides the money, I’ve found myself re-energized, and I’ve found my creative juices bubbling to the surface with new inspirations.  My senses have been stimulated to the extreme meeting new people, observing shoppers, and soaking it all in.  Say what you will about WalMart, and I’ve said quite a bit in the past, but that store has the most fascinating shoppers of any store in the world, and many of them are appearing, or will appear, in some of my future novels and short stories.

Learn to observe!  We all share five senses.  Learn to turn those senses on and allow them to categorize your surroundings….then take it to the logical next step and record those observations in your stories and books.  Remember, you are the observer for your readers.  Through your words they are allowed to “sense,” or observe your scenes and stories.

AND IT’S OFFICIAL

The “Billy the Kid Chronicles: A Blood Red Russian Moon” is now available on Kindle for $.99 and as a paperback on Amazon.  Follow this link if you are interested in my first pulp fiction/novella.  Oops, that’s the second time I mentioned that….sorry about the over-promotion.

AND ABOUT PROMOTION

How do you promote?  Share in comments if you feel like it.

CHECK IT OUT

HITRECORD.org…..check it out….new site for artists and writers who want to collaborate on projects with other artists, writers….chance to make some money…check it out.

MORE LATER

I’m reading “The Author’s Guide to Marketing.”  Good read….available at the library if you’re interested in saving money.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great week of writing.

22 Responses to “Education of the Senses”

1. eric dierker March 13, 2016 at 5:01 pm #

Wonderful to get caught up with your world. We’ll pray that the electricity stays on for your eggs. I think you would break them if you sat on them but it is a great visual. Thanks for the tips.

• Billybuc March 13, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

Eric, good of you to stop by this weekend. I’ll be laughing the rest of the day over that visual.

2. Janine Huldie March 13, 2016 at 5:12 pm #

Aw, just checking in and seeing a new article from you. So of course had to say hi and wish you a wonderful Sunday, too!! 😉

• Billybuc March 13, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

Janine, you’re a doll. Thanks for always being here. Happy Sunday!

3. Lea Tartanian March 13, 2016 at 6:58 pm #

Oh Bill I just love your artistry for words blogs! So glad you are working and getting into the outside world I know exactly how you feel as a writer. Thanks for the link I will check it out. I did send you a note telling you I finally got my new MasterCard on Amazon and I Have ordered your book. When I finish shadows over innocence I’ll be writing you a note. I’ve noticed there are not too many notifications on the Hub Pages that they send out. I think people have just allowed themselves to get so busy. I can’t believe how fast the time seems to be going lately. And that it is almost Easter!

You continue to inspire me with your energy. I just adore yours and Bev’s passion for your animals. I truly enjoyed this blog if I do all the others that I get a chance to read. God bless you with all your writing ideas and endeavors. I will stay in touch blessings Sparklea. 😊

• Billybuc March 13, 2016 at 8:08 pm #

Lea, thank you my friend. You are such a loyal follower and friend..I appreciate you greatly. I hope you are doing well and your husband is feeling better. God bless you always.

• Lea Tartanian March 13, 2016 at 8:25 pm #

Dave is doing well, back to work but very busy with overtime. He gets tired! Trying to clean out my writing room… we want to get rid of the carpet and install a new wooden floor. With four cats we have gotten rid of ALL carpeting except 2 rooms…I am on a mission! God bless, thanks so much for thinking of my husband! 🙂

• Billybuc March 13, 2016 at 8:46 pm #

Of course I would think about your husband. I learned from your kindness. 🙂

4. Cynthia March 14, 2016 at 11:44 am #

It’s funny how time away from our craft gives us perspective. Congrats on the novella – you’re a regular writing factory! I love it. 🙂

• Billybuc March 14, 2016 at 7:58 pm #

Thanks Lil Sis….now I think I’m spending too much time away from my craft. LOL

5. Greg Boudonck March 14, 2016 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Bill. I am in the process right now of ordering that new book. I look forward to reading it. Thanks.

• Billybuc March 14, 2016 at 7:58 pm #

Greg, thank you very much, my friend. Say hello to Maria for me.

6. Chris Desatoff March 20, 2016 at 1:49 am #

How do I promote?

Gosh, Bill. I’m not very good at salesmanship or networking, so I tend to oscillate between long periods of invisibility and short bursts of spam haha =),

I’m just not very good at it, but as all artists and writers these days are figuring out, you have to promote yourself effectively if you want to move from hobbyist to paid professional.

Speaking of which, I’m happy to share that I can now call myself a PAID CARTOONIST. Woo hoo! After a lifetime of dreaming about it, I’m finally pushing myself to market my comic strips. I just started up a new strip for writers and word lovers called, “Attack of the Words,” and one of the first ones I drew for that series just sold to a new digital magazine for writers called writeHackr. It’ll be published in their next issue.

If you have any ideas for how I should try promoting my cartoons, I’m all ears.

I was kicking around the idea of just inviting all my HubPages friends and blog friends to publish any of my cartoons they like on their blogs/hubs for free in exchange for a link or shoutout or whatever. That might help me build up an audience and get some exposure, I guess.

What do you think?

• Billybuc March 21, 2016 at 2:15 am #

Chris, I’m sorry it took me so long to respond. I somehow misplaced your comment. Sheez, old age!

I just don’t feel comfortable responding to a question about comic strips per se….but giving them away for free to HP people doesn’t feel right to me at all. How about starting your own comic strip blog…or comic strip Facebook page? Writing an article on HP to introduce your comic strip would help…get the word out that way, but I get a little squeamish about giving creativity away.

NOt sure if that helps but there you go.

Best wishes and luck

7. MelCh March 20, 2016 at 9:58 am #

First of all, congratulations on all your novel writing success, Bill. You should be so proud and I hope you and Bev take time to celebrate this little (Big!!) wins once you hit that publish button, because you should. What an achievement. So proud of how far you’ve come, and you continue to inspire me to keep going and not give up. I may not have the drive or the will to write novels, but I have a passion for wellness and trying to encourage others to live a more fulfilled life – living, not existing. I’ve started up a new blog, which I’m quite excited about – it’s nothing earth-shattering, just my thoughts on things like yoga and wine farms and the likes. A personal lifestyle blog. No pumping stuff, no trying to be something I’m not. Authentic. Finally! 🙂

So funny that you should mention observing people at Walmart – I’m going to give the writing in a coffee shop a try and people watch. It should be fun. And I’m with you on the getting out and interacting with society, LOL. As fun as writing from home was for two years for me, I’ll never forget that loneliness and those dark, depressing days. You can be as motivated as you like, there is just nothing quite like seeing a familiar face in the morning and asking about the weekend. Speaking of weekends, this is a very long comment so I’ll stop the novel here. Have a great rest of your weekend, Bill!

• Billybuc March 20, 2016 at 2:52 pm #

Mel, it’s always good hearing from you. Best wishes on the new blog, although you didn’t give me a name for it…I’ll go to your Facebook page and hopefully it will be there.

Thank you for the kind words. I may not be famous but I’m doing what I love to do, and many people can’t say the same.

Happy Sunday to you, my friend.

8. Shauna L Bowling April 11, 2016 at 11:50 pm #

Bill, no matter how hard I try to catch up, I remain a month behind in my reading.

I’m thrilled that you’re publishing, publishing, publishing! I just bought Shadows Over Innocence last week, but need to finish a novel by another writer friend of mine first. I let a month or three go by between chapters, so I’m behind in novel reading as well.

Which is actually the perfect segue to how I can (and do) relate to your need to get out of the studio and get some real face time with people you can see, touch, and speak with. I’ve done the same, although I’ve had to go back to work full time. And I’m loving the hell out of it! Unfortunately, my muse is still on vacation, but that’s okay. The other aspects of Shauna’s personality were thwarted and in danger of becoming lost completely when I sequestered myself to my home office for three years. Now I’m getting back into gardening. The hugelkultur bed I started well over a year ago is now home to lima bean and cucumber plants. I’m tickled to see their progress. I’ll be even more tickled when I can actually taste the fruits of my labor!

Yesterday, I sat out back and read close to 100 pages of my friend Ghost’s novel Tam The Tall Tale Teller, after letting it collect dust for several months. It felt good to do one of my other favorite things: read outside.

My muse will come back after the other 15 (or so) of my personalities (ha ha) are once again free to be me. It’s just a matter of time.

• Billybuc April 12, 2016 at 1:33 pm #

Hey Sha! I’m exctied that your hugelkultur bed is doing well. The best news is it will do better every year from now on.

Work, work, work…..trying to find a balance, because I’m not happy if I’m not writing….of course, I’m not happy if I’m not eating, too, so there you go. LOL

Take care my friend and thank you! Enjoy Eli Baker. He’ll be back next year.

9. Lea Tartanian April 25, 2016 at 3:01 pm #

Hi Bill I know I have read and commented on this before but had to add that I understand what you mean about observing people – or just observing- Period. My husband jokes with me about how I observe so many things. For example if I’m looking at a photograph of any kind or watching a show or a movie I tend to observe the backgrounds. Especially old photos because times have changed over the years and I love to see things behind people that are no longer there. For example a few years ago a bank which was an old building was torn down in my town. When I heard they were going to do that I took photos. Now a Rite aid pharmacy is in its place. The building was so beautiful and I consider this a tragedy. But I have pictures of the bank. I have made several prints and I have given them out to people who cherished the building.
    I, too, have the opportunity to observe people in the grocery stores and at Barnes & Noble. I love the greeters at Walmart they are so warm and friendly. I would love to strike up a conversation with them but they are busy greeting people. Anyway I just had to add this to my previous comments. You continue to be a treasure in my life God bless you and Bev and all your family both the two Leggett ones in the four-legged ones 😊

• Billybuc April 25, 2016 at 3:08 pm #

Lea, I just love this comment. What amazes me is there are writers who do not spend time observing and quite frankly I think it shows in their writing. We are the observers of the world, and we transcribe our observations and make memories come alive…that’s what writers do….so how could we not be observers?

Thank you my friend and blessings always.

10. Billybuc November 22, 2016 at 6:43 pm #

thanks for the ping

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Writing Scene Descriptions | Artistry With Words - November 22, 2016

[…] is an education of the senses that I seek with my […]