Try Something, Dammit!

2 Aug

003Welcome, Welcome and Welcome again!

I’m so excited that the political conventions have ended.  I’ve missed Pat and Vanna!  LOL

Many of you know that most of my weekend time is spent at Farmers Markets selling goat cheese and quail eggs…..but did you know……..

First, the quote of the day…..

“The biggest risk is not taking any risk… In a world that changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.”   Mark Zuckerberg
It’s an odd day when I’m quoting Zuckerberg!  But I love this quote, and you should too.

Next Wednesday I’ll start selling my books at the Farmers’ Market.  I’ll be the only writer there selling books. It’s not really something you see among the fruit and vegetables and birdhouses and quilts, but I talked to the organizer and she could see no reason not to try it, so we’ll do that for the last month of the market and see how it goes.

Will it work? I have no clue, but like zuckerberg says, I am guaranteed to fail if I don’t at least try it.

Next on my list of things to do is to contact all the local radio stations about being interviewed on air about the struggles of being an independent author.  I’m going to approach them with my tag #greatestunknownauthor…explain the significance of that tagline to them and why I’m taking that approach in my advertising.  Will I get any response from the station managers? I have no clue, but I do know I won’t get any response if I don’t at least try.

For the love of God, TRY SOMETHING!!!!!  Unless you can look me in the face and honestly tell me you are happy with obscurity, then get out there and TRY SOMETHING!

HELPFUL WEBSITE FOR FREELANCERS

If you are a freelance writer, or if you are considering that venture, check out my friend Greg’s website, Lancer Life.  Here you will find some great tips and suggestions.  This really is a valuable resource….and you can’t beat the price.

MY LATEST NOVELLA

Billy the Kid is riding again with “Breathing Fire on a Cold Winter’s Day.”   I hope you like it.

And that means it’s time for me to start my newest novel, this one the third in the “Shadows” series titled “Shadows Over a Hangman’s Noose.”  If you like thrillers I’m counting on you liking this one.

Thanks again to Mike Friedman for his great cover work.

DO YOU LIKE POETRY?

I’ve got a friend I want you to meet.

Her name is Christy Birmingham from Victoria, Canada.  If there is a nicer person on the planet I really need to meet that person.  Until that day, though, I’m pretty well satisfied with the niceness of Christy.  I invite you to read her latest collection of poetry, “Versions of the Self,” available on Amazon.

AND THAT’S IT FOR TODAY

Thanks, as always, for stopping by, and Happy Writing to you all!

Bill #greatestunknownauthor

21 Responses to “Try Something, Dammit!”

1. Janine Huldie August 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm #

I cannot tell enough how much I love your approach to selling your books and am truly hopeful that both the Farmer’s Market and the local radios will do the trick for you. I hope you will keep us posted here. Also, adore Christy and great shoutout for her here, as well today. Happy Tuesday once again, my friend!! 🙂

• Billybuc August 2, 2016 at 6:21 pm #

Happy Tuesday, Janine. Hey, if it doesn’t work, I’m not out much of anything other than effort, right? God hates a coward.

2. explorereikiworld August 2, 2016 at 8:19 pm #

Absolutely agree with the quote that Mark uttered.
    No Risk no gain so, be it!!

I wish you luck for the book selling at the farmer’s market and I love your tag and hope the radio hosts pick you up for an interview!

• Billybuc August 2, 2016 at 8:30 pm #

Aw, thank you my friend. We shall see! Who knows, right, until we actually try?

3. Dee August 2, 2016 at 10:27 pm #

No one will ever say you were a slacker! I admire your drive. I appreciate your encouragement; and the occasional kick in the pants.

• Billybuc August 4, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Dee, thank you so much! I’m sorry I’m so late with this comment.

4. Lawrence Hebb August 3, 2016 at 12:59 am #

Great stuff here. I was thinking of doing a few things, or at least trying them out to see what happens. One is ‘Via Mail order’ (throughout New Zealand). It won’t take much to set up.
    I think it’s a great idea with the farmers market and I’ll be ‘thinking of you’ for it.
    Lawrence

• Billybuc August 4, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Thank you Lawrence! I’ve been behind all week what with Bev’s upcoming surgery, so sorry I’m late commenting.

• Lawrence Hebb August 7, 2016 at 1:25 am #

Just caught the note about Bev’s surgery. Hope everything went well. Thinking of you folks

5. Michael Milec August 3, 2016 at 1:23 am #

Why live if you do not dare to try something?! – is a message within the lines (I heard in my spirit) of your fantastic, stimulating and exciting message. Two great adventurous ideas – selling books at a Farmers’ Market and contacting radio station – striking! You would do well my friend I believe, the people are open to new person-to person interconnection, world around us is hungry for love’s motion beaming from your enthusiasm.

• Billybuc August 4, 2016 at 2:14 pm #

Michael my friend, your friendship and support mean a great deal to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

6. Chris Desatoff August 3, 2016 at 3:58 am #

Bill, I love your pragmatism. Trying anything — even the wrong thing — is far better than sitting on the fence, always wondering what might have been. So good luck, but even more than that, I wish you stamina and courage and perseverance, as it will likely take many attempts before any new promotional endeavor takes effect.

What’s that they say about advertising? That you need to get your “brand” or your “marketing message” in front of people’s faces at least 7 times before they finally take notice and make a purchase? Something like that.

Well, I wish you the strength and the patience to keep showing up however many times it takes to get some traction.

Looking forward to the updates =)

Oh, and as for me…

For the longest time I’ve been stressing about a very silly, very minor detail over cartooning: the exact dimensions/proportions that different syndication companies require comic strip submissions to be. I want to get accepted by one of these syndicates and get my comics into the newspapers, but this issue of formatting has been stopping me in my tracks, as it just seems very technical and seems like it would require new computer hardware and software than I just can’t afford right now.

But despite my anxieties, I decided to just…TRY SOMETHING. So I contacted two of the major syndicates and asked for some clarification and guidance on meeting their submission guidelines. Maybe they’ll think I’m an idiot for asking such basic questions, but oh well. It might be a step closer, it might not. But at the very least…it’s a step!

Have a great week, Bill!

• Billybuc August 4, 2016 at 2:15 pm #

Good for you, Chris, and thanks for sharing your story AND anxieties with us. I really appreciate hearing that other writers struggle and doubt. I know that sounds sick but it’s not meant to be. Best wishes to you and please, keep me updated on your progress.

7. phoenix2327 August 6, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

When I made the decision to write, I set the goal of writing a novel. Somewhere along the line, things got muddled. I started stressing over query letters, agents, submission to editors, blahdee, blahdee, blahdee. This,in turn, made me fearful and blocked any creative flow I had. While we were on holiday and cut off from the cyber world, it occurred to me that my original goal had been to write a novel. Not get it published and make a fortune. Just write a novel. With that goal firmly reestablished, I stopped caring about the rest. I’m just going to write a novel (and some other stuff).

That’s not to say it won’t get published. One of the members of my writers’ group does workshops on self-publishing. You don’t need to have anything ready for publication. It’s just an introductory course on what self-publishing is, what platforms are available, Kindle v. Createspace etc. So I’ll be looking into that.

Also, the chairperson of our group mentioned during our last meeting that the local radio station is looking to resurrect a soap opera series. They’re looking for people interested in writing the series and, possibly voice acting.

So, yeah, there’s a few things I could try, dammit. :D.

Have a great weekend, Bill.

• Billybuc August 6, 2016 at 2:31 pm #

Sounds like quite a few things you could try, Zulma, and I am confident you’ll try at least a few of them. YOU GO, GIRL!!!! LOL Seriously, good luck, especially with that novel. You are right; that should be the priority.

8. Melanie August 7, 2016 at 5:21 am #

What a great quote, Bill… so, SO true. I am so grateful that I was born with this mindset of constantly wanting better and wanting to try new things that make me happy. Though it gets exhausting at times and it’s tough as hell when you’re an introvert, it does make life rather interesting. I don’t think I’d ever be able to call up radio stations though, lol – just thinking about it makes me nervous hehe! It’s inspiring though, so well done for getting out there and for talking and making people take notice of how hard it is to be a writer these days – and a proper, real one at that!

Thinking of you and Bev; I hope she’s feeling better and well on her way to recovery.

• Billybuc August 7, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

Thank you Mel! Bev is feeling better, thank you. I just wish they knew what caused it all so they can make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Like you, I never seem to be satisfied and yes, it is exhausting….too exhausting at times. i’d love to be able to just rest on my laurels now and again, but that doesn’t seem to happen.

9. Shauna L Bowling August 16, 2016 at 5:45 pm #

Bill, I can’t wait to hear how your latest marketing ventures pan out. You certainly are creative in that respect. Have you considered adding marketing coach to your talents? I’m sure you could make some decent money at it. Just a thought….

• Billybuc August 16, 2016 at 6:26 pm #

Sha, I’ve considered a million things. Unfortunately, I don’t have the energy I once did, so I have to pick and choose. Decent money? Probably! We shall see how this all shakes out. Thanks so much, my friend.

10. Cynthia August 16, 2016 at 8:27 pm #

Haha, giggle. Try something. Huh. Ya know…I think I took Zuckerberg’s advice before he gave that advice. I always joke with people that I have a lot of “pokers in the fire.”
    Yeah, sure. There’s the “traditional” job. There’s blogging. There’s hubbing. There’s Zazzle and novels. We’re thinking about getting a rental house to rent to grad students or professors (cheap and a fixer-upper, lol). Have always put a wee bit of each month’s income into retirement. Maybe one of those things will work out enough to retire early. VERY early. 😀
    Sending hugs. And stay diversified. 😉

• Billybuc August 17, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Good for you, lil Sis! At least you’re doing some planning for the future, unlike me, and the future is now for this old man. LOL I think the cheap rental for college students is a great idea….I say “do something, dammit!” LOL