An Interview With Author John Hansen

13 Sep

003Hooray!  I have an interview to share with you this week.

But first…..

QUOTATION OF THE DAY

“We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.”

Cesar Chavez

I’m big on community.  If you know me then you know that’s true.  I believe in a sharing of prosperity, and I believe in a sharing of ideas.  Writers who believe they can make it on their own, without the support of other writers, are, in my opinion, delusional.

So today I want to share with all of you an interview I recently conducted with John Hansen.  Many of you know him as Jodah on HubPages.  Whatever you may call him, I call him a friend and a damned fine writer.

Let’s see what John has to say.
THE INTERVIEW WITH JOHN HANSEN

• What is your main motivation for writing? Put another way, what do you hope to accomplish with your writing?

1. A) my main motivation is just to be the best writer I can and for others to enjoy reading what I write. I have no real formal training in literature or writing other than High School English. In fact I am still learning, and my use of grammar etc still needs improvement. I do enjoy trying my hand at different forms of writing and genres. I love poetry but don’t want to corner myself into a niche.

• What are your thoughts regarding the marketing of your writing? What has worked well for you? What new avenues of marketing are you considering?

1. A) Until I began writing seriously on HubPages a few years ago I had really only written for myself and family (mainly poetry in birthday cards etc). I guess I wasn’t confident enough in my writing ability to let it be read publicly. My confidence has grown immensely thanks to the kind HubPage community and I decided to advertise my services writing poetry and text for children’s books and editing on Fiverr.

I only made about half a dozen sales and $100 in the first year, but then it seemed to suddenly take off and I now find myself working on at least one gig a day (usually more), making around $400 per month and growing largely due to repeat customers. Whoever said poetry isn’t still popular is mistaken because most of my requests are for rhyming poems.

My latest project is contributing to a book of poetry featuring a selection of poems written by the members of The Creative Exiles website (creativeexiles.com). It will be a hard copy first and maybe followed by an eBook.

Later we may consider a book of short fiction stories, and I am still considering publishing my own rhyming children’s picture books.

• What words of advice would you give to someone just starting out in this business?

1. A) The main advice I’d give is to write what makes you feel good. Topics that you have a genuine interest in or causes you feel strongly about. Too many people write for the money first and for the heart second. Whether it be prose or poetry doesn’t matter. If you don’t enjoy what you write, others won’t either. Don’t be discouraged by rejections.. even the greatest writers have received them. Just persist.

• If you could start all over again in writing, what one thing would you do differently?

1. A) Starting over again I would take my writing more seriously from a young age and pursue it more vigorously as a career path, possibly journalism, advertising etc. instead of putting it on the back-burner. I was always good at art and wrongly thought that was what I should concentrate on. Now, I’d like to combine the two.

• How do you juggle your personal life with your life as a writer?

1. A) This is a very good question, Bill. How do you? No, seriously, I fit my writing in wherever and whenever I can. Random time management is at play. I don’t have a set time to sit down and write but I take a pen and notebook with me wherever I go in case the urge strikes. I scribble notes to develop into something later.

Often I find myself sitting up in bed at 2 or 3am when an idea or my muse decides to prompts me. If I am writing to a deadline as with my Fiverr work, I always seem to fit it in somewhere and deliver it on time. I am not sure how.

I worry that my wife sometimes feels neglected but there is so much else happening that we are doing a lot together even if it isn’t recreational. Babysitting four grandsons for the last 10 days for instance. She is understanding and I think she’s ok.

Thanks for inviting me to do this interview, Bill. It has been a pleasure.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I guess that is what happens when you interview someone who loves to write.

All the best,

John Hansen

AND THANK YOU, JOHN!

And next week I’m going to have another interview for you, so stay tuned for that. John Hansen has two books of poetry available on Lulu.com.  Check them out by following this link.

NIUME

To answer a question I was asked earlier about the new creative writing site I am trying (NIUME), payment is made when you reach $10 in a month, and you earn one dollar for every 1,000 views.  I honestly don’t know if that’s better than HP or not.  Seems to me it is, but honestly I haven’t done the math.  I do know I’m probably going to continue to take some of my HP creative writing and move it over to NIUME where it is appreciated, and I’ll also do some new creative writing for The Creative Exiles where it is also appreciated.

AND THAT’S IT FOR THIS WEEK.

Thanks, as always, for the visit.  My new Shadow novel is coming along nicely.  I just passed the 35,000 word level.  When I’m done I’ll probably need some beta readers…hint, hint.

Bill   #greatestunknownauthor

26 Responses to “An Interview With Author John Hansen”

1. Janine Huldie September 13, 2016 at 2:22 pm #

Aw, you always are the one writer who truly does give back to the other writers here online and can say that without a doubt. That said, absolutely my pleasure to read John’s interview and answers here today. I am in the dining phase of my own answers and promise that you will have them before this week is out for sure. Happy Tuesday now, Bill!! 🙂

• Billybuc September 13, 2016 at 2:27 pm #

I know I can always count on you, Janine, so take your time and thank you so very much!!!

2. ericdierker September 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm #

Really cool to get to know John better, thanks for doing the project and sharing it.

• Billybuc September 13, 2016 at 2:36 pm #

My pleasure, Eric, and thanks for following my blog.

3. Shauna L Bowling September 13, 2016 at 4:59 pm #

Nice interview, Bill. I learned a bit more about John than I knew before.

John, I’m glad to hear you’d like to combine your writing and artistic talents. You’re one helluvan illustrator!

• Billybuc September 13, 2016 at 5:20 pm #

Sha, I’m not sure there is a limit to John’s talents. Thanks for stopping by and reading the interview. John and I are appreciative.

4. Dee September 13, 2016 at 9:27 pm #

I enjoyed reading Jodah’s responses to questions. He is a great person and writes with passion. It is nice to read about his personal life and his advice is one I will take seriously: write about what you enjoy. Best wishes on your upcoming book.

• Billybuc September 14, 2016 at 1:31 am #

Thank you Dee! It seems I always have an upcoming book, doesn’t it? I’m sure my friends are tired of hearing about it.

5. Lawrence Hebb September 13, 2016 at 11:35 pm #

This was a really good interview with John. Some very practical stuff here.
    I took your advice about the new site and I’ve put one if my ‘defunct’ hubs on HP and if nothing else it’s given me some ideas on how to develop the story.
    HP pay out at $50 and I’ve got about 10k hits and nowhere near the payout threshold!
    I enjoy HP too much to move, but the new site gives an avenue to explore my other story, (the defunct one was ‘the Nomad’ and I’ll let you know how we get on!)
    Lawrence

• Billybuc September 14, 2016 at 1:32 am #

Do that, Lawrence. i’ll be interested in hearing how you do on that site or how you like it. Thanks!

6. Michael Milec September 14, 2016 at 2:17 am #

A heart to heart conversation. Because of this bold move of interview, now we know you John how conveniently it is to be blessed by your serious and diligent creating for us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Be blessed and prosperous.

• Billybuc September 14, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

Michael my friend, you said it all there…..thank you for your words of encouragement and love.

7. Mike September 14, 2016 at 5:35 pm #

Hello Bill – This is a fine interview. John is an exceptional writer. His Crackleberry series is always enjoyable, they remind me of The Farmers Almanac. His other presentations are also a pleasure to read. Well done.

• Billybuc September 14, 2016 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks Mike. I agree with you about it all..the Crackleberry series is a classic in my mind.

8. marlenebertrand September 14, 2016 at 5:49 pm #

This is a wonderful interview. I really appreciate the open and candid response from John. He helped me see writing from another perspective – that it doesn’t necessarily have to take up ALL of your time, but we do need to spend time writing if we want to be known as writers.

• Billybuc September 15, 2016 at 2:02 pm #

Marlene, it’s always nice having you stop by, and I’m happy you enjoyed the interview with a very talented writer.

9. Audrey September 14, 2016 at 11:10 pm #

I love this interview. John is a wonderful writer and a kind soul. Happy Wednesday Bill

• Billybuc September 15, 2016 at 2:02 pm #

Happy Thursday to you, Audrey, and thank you always!

10. Cynthia September 15, 2016 at 11:44 am #

John and Bill – this is all fantastic! And inspiring. Loved reading this post and got a few tips and pointers myself. And community. That reminded me of the quote by Zig Ziglar: You can get anything you want if you help enough other people get what they want. 🙂

• Billybuc September 15, 2016 at 2:03 pm #

I totally agree with Ziglar, Lil Sis! I know this for sure: I love having you as a little sister. 🙂

11. Billybuc September 15, 2016 at 7:19 pm #

For whatever reason, John is unable to leave comments on this blog…wouldn’t you just know it? So he passed word along to me to say thank you to all who read his interview and commented.

12. Billybuc September 17, 2016 at 2:50 pm #

From John:

Thank you, Bill for inviting me to be interviewed. I enjoyed opening myself up to your readers. To everyone who read and commented so generously, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. ”

This is actually my third attempt at replying here. Google Chrome says this site is unsafe and won’t let me open it. I got around that by using Firefox, which allowed me to read the comments but wouldn’t accept my WordPress password. Anyway, third time lucky I hope.
    I recognise many of you as friends from HubPages, but for those I haven’t had the pleasure of chatting with before…”Pleased to meet you.”

I am humbled when anyone reads and enjoys what I write. If your work is enjoyed by, touches, or educates even one person than it is a success and was worth writing. I rarely scrap anything I have written. I have notebooks filled with scribbles and unpublished ramblings.. You just never know when that light bulb will illuminate and you will find an avenue to put it to use, and what appeared to be just trash bin filler will turn into something meaningful.

Anyway. Enough of my rambling. Thank you all once again, and keep tuning in to Bill’s website. You’ll learn lots of valuable stuff.”

13. Sally September 17, 2016 at 7:37 pm #

Great to learn more about John and his writing. Thanks for sharing Billy.

• Billybuc September 18, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

I appreciate it, Sally, and I appreciate you. Thank you!

14. Graham September 18, 2016 at 12:58 pm #

Great stuff Bill. Well said John.

• Billybuc September 18, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

Aw, thanks, Graham. I hope you are well, my friend.