Satisfaction in a Job Well-Done

6 Dec

003The snow is falling here in Olympia.  It’s the first sighting of snow in two years here, and it’s beautiful.

We don’t get much snow here, so I make sure I enjoy it as much as possible while it lasts.

And that just happens to be my message, to you and to me, this Monday morning.

But first, a quote.

“Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best.” Theodore Isaac Rubi

I doubt seriously if I will ever be a famous writer.  Riches do not seem to be in my future.

Still, I write!  Each day I get up and do the best I can with the words, and talent, I’ve been given.  There are days I will not hear a word of praise from family or friends.  There are days I will not sell one book.  There are days when, what I write, will not affect a single human being.

Still, I write!  And because there are many days when tangible rewards do not appear, I have to find satisfaction in the fact that I am doing the best I can to add to the beauty in this world.  I am trying, hard, to perfect my craft, and in so doing to raise the bar in literature.  I try hard to support other writers and encourage them through my comments.

I have talked to countless writers who all say the same thing, that they receive very little support from family and friends, and they are discouraged.  And I say to them that happiness is an inside job, that we must learn to find satisfaction in a job well-done.

That is my message to you this morning.

That is my message to me this morning.

TAX TIP OF THE DAY

Linda, are you paying attention?

If you consider yourself to be a freelance writer, or if you have formed a writing business, you are eligible for certain tax deductions.  Do the research and benefit where possible.  A tip before you venture into this scary area:  the IRS loves documentation.  Keep all your receipts.  I’ve been using these tax deductions now for six years and not once have I been questioned, but if I am questioned in the future, I’m confident I can support my expense claims.

Documentation is the word of the day!

MARKETING TIP OF THE DAY

The best time to try and pitch your book to the public library is during June or December . . . right around budget appropriations and spending seasons.

COMMON SENSE TIP OF THE DAY

Don’t get so busy that you don’t take time to give back to your community.  If you are asked to speak for free at a writer’s group or a school, jump at the chance and say “it’s an honor.”  You may not be getting a speaker’s fee but you are still getting free publicity.town_904

FINAL TIP OF THE DAY

Get out there and promote.  Ask local businesses if you can sell your book in their store, even if they aren’t a bookstore.  What’s the worst that can happen? They’ll say no!

Call up local newspapers and radio shows, and ask for an interview. What’s the worst that can happen?  They’ll say no!

AND THAT’S IT FOR THIS WEEK

Yes, my new novel, “Shadows Over A Hangman’s Noose,” is being released this week on Amazon.  It should be out by Thursday and I’m excited by it.  It is the best thriller I’ve written to date.

And I’ve decided my next book will also be in the Shadows series.  The plot came to me this weekend and I’m eager to get started on it, so my Sixties reflective book will have to wait six months.

Such is life!

38 Responses to “Satisfaction in a Job Well-Done”

1. Janine Huldie December 6, 2016 at 5:53 pm #

Aw, thanks for the update. Love the happiness quote and wow to the snow. None here yet and probably a scrooge on this, but not a fan as you know. Happy Tuesday now, Bill!! 🙂

• Billybuc December 6, 2016 at 6:42 pm #

Janine, the older I get the less I want snow. I think my year in Alaska pretty much ruined snow for me. 🙂

2. Sally December 6, 2016 at 6:09 pm #

No snow in our neck of the woods yet but I am so looking forward to the magical sight of snow falling silently to the ground.
    This writing business is a strange solitary thing and just like you I know I can’t rely on friends or family to read my work but I am grateful that so many people from all over the world drop in to learn how to hone their felting skills. I call that a success and I am sure you must feel something akin to that. Enjoy the snow while it lasts Billy:)

• Billybuc December 6, 2016 at 6:43 pm #

It is interesting, Sally, that strangers from around the world read our works, and support us daily, and yet family doesn’t. Strange indeed!

3. Christy B December 6, 2016 at 6:16 pm #

Hi Bill, we got a bit of snow here too! It’s quite cold so I hope you bundle up too. It’s a big week for you with your book and I’m excited to get my copy. I don’t often read thrillers so it’ll be a treat to delve into one written by YOU! And wonderful you already have ideas for your next two books, wow, I’m jealous as I’ve been a bit dry here for ideas for my book. I know inspiration comes and goes so I’m being patient 😉 Hugs

• Billybuc December 6, 2016 at 6:44 pm #

Christy, now I’m nervous. You don’t read thrillers? Oh my, I’m not sure how you’ll do with the Shadows. Well, crossing my fingers and sending hugs your way.

• Christy B December 6, 2016 at 6:49 pm #

Oh dear, do you think it will scare me?

• Billybuc December 6, 2016 at 7:20 pm #

Christy, I wouldn’t bet against it, and I really don’t want one of my books to be an unpleasant experience for you.

4. Christy B December 6, 2016 at 8:21 pm #

OK, understand. I’ll still help to share about the book when it comes out and support you 🙂

• Billybuc December 6, 2016 at 8:31 pm #

That’s sweet of you, Christy! I can’t believe I argued against my own book. LOL

5. Ruchira Khanna December 6, 2016 at 8:45 pm #

Hi Bill,

I echo most of your words with regards to fame, selling etc. But in the end writers write cause there is this passion of fire within. And am sure one day we will be standing on that peak and shout out with pride 😉

I am happy for your new release. Will make sure to get it for the holidays on my kindle, just like I did the previous one!! Your work is good, Bill just that last time the formatting was not done well for me as a reader to get a grip upon the material.

All the best, and will be on the look out for Thursday to share and tweet your new release!!

• Billybuc December 6, 2016 at 9:48 pm #

Thank you Ruchira. I appreciate it very much.

6. Graham. December 6, 2016 at 9:41 pm #

Bill you give much more than you receive.

• Billybuc December 6, 2016 at 9:49 pm #

Graham, thank you! What can I say? It’s the way I was raised, by giving and loving parents.

7. Sageleaf December 7, 2016 at 2:16 am #

THE LIBRARY! I PRACTICALLY live there. The folks at the desk probably don’t know my name, but I spend a couple hours there every Saturday or every other Saturday. (Okay, living there is a slight exaggeration.) Some of them know that I check out books All. The. Time. Totally an addict, I am. 😀
    So, WHAT A WONDERFUL IDEA! By golly, when I get the next book published, Ima go do some readings at the bookstores AND the library. Yippee!! Fantastic.
    Oop ee ooo la la…ooo la la…

• Billybuc December 7, 2016 at 2:36 pm #

Lil Sis, you have me laughing on this cold winter’s morn. Oop ee ooo la la…oo la la..way too funny! Yes, my friend, the library! Go talk to them. You just might get a surprise!

• Chris Desatoff December 12, 2016 at 6:59 pm #

Bahaha Cynthia, I’m here in my fav library in Vegas, and I just snorted out loud at your wacky comment — was that singing? Haha love it! It sounds like those nature walks at high altitudes are having an effect, but it’s all good. =)

• Sageleaf December 13, 2016 at 1:45 am #

BWHAHAHA. They are. The lack of oxygen makes a brain get some interesting ideas. Maybe if I sing that little jingle at the library, they’ll let me sell them a book or two…but then again, they might throw me out. 😄

8. Lawrence Hebb December 7, 2016 at 5:15 am #

Awesome, ‘If it’s worth doing, then it’s worth doing well!’
    Thanks for all the encouragement you give, it really does make a difference.
    Lawrence

• Billybuc December 7, 2016 at 2:37 pm #

I hope so, Lawrence. We all need it, my friend, and I thank you for being here and encouraging me.

9. suziehq December 7, 2016 at 2:22 pm #

I can relate to why you still write even if support or financial success do not follow. I love my painting and even if I don’t sell much, I love painting & creating something. Have a great week in the snow Bill!

• Billybuc December 7, 2016 at 2:37 pm #

Exactly, Irish! Exactly! You being here, that’s the support I crave, and I thank you for it.

hugs from Olympia

bill

10. ericdierker December 8, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

Thanks for being so confident that you give me confidence.

• Billybuc December 8, 2016 at 2:29 pm #

You are very kind, Eric, and you are very welcome. Thank you sir!

11. Dee December 10, 2016 at 6:59 pm #

I have sat in on a few author’s workshops at the public library. They are enjoyable and a good way to network with others who enjoy writing. Thanks for the tips, always valuable information. Have a great weekend and keep warm up there, Bill,

• Billybuc December 10, 2016 at 7:03 pm #

You are correct, of course, Dee. Thanks for your insights. Keeping warm will be a challenge this week, but thanks for the warm thoughts.

12. Chris Desatoff December 12, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

Bill, every now and then your posts catch me in just the right way and make me feel all warm inside. I love to see people who know what makes them happy — and to see them doing it day after day. You’re a very rich man indeed, Mr. Holland! Many people go their whole lives without ever doing the things THEY want to do, but here you are…

Keep on enjoying the wealth that life keeps offering you, my friend. =)

• Billybuc December 12, 2016 at 7:09 pm #

Chris, that is a very nice comment and I thank you for it. I am a lucky and rich man, my friend. There are times I don’t realize it and those are the times when comments like this one mean the world to me. Blessings to you always.

• Chris Desatoff December 12, 2016 at 7:26 pm #

Thank you for the inspiration, man. Keep doing your thing =)

• Billybuc December 12, 2016 at 7:48 pm #

I’ll do my best, Chris. You do the same and I’ll meet you down the road.

13. phoenix2327 December 13, 2016 at 9:15 am #

I think the hardest thing about writing is the continuous voices of self-doubt. Some days they just whisper in the background and are easy to ignore. Other days the cacophony of their words had been known to drive the muse away, hands over her ears, leaving me wondering why I bother. Those days I turn to my husband for support.

He doesn’t read my work, but he drives me to my writers’ group, chipped in to buy me a new computer, surprised me with a new printer when the old one packed up. He reminds me that everyone has their down days and it’s pointless to try to force the words if I’m not feeling them. He encourages me to go for a walk and take some photos, do some crochet or needlework or play a video game, whatever it takes to clear my head. He’s right, of course. After a few days they voices quieten down and the muse returns.

Why do I, why do any of us, put ourselves through this? Because we love what we do. We love creating worlds full of engaging characters that we can share with others. Frustrating? Absolutely. Worth it? Hell, yeah.

Have a great day, Bill. I do hope you’ll get to that reflective 60s book soon. It’s sounds like something I would like.

• Billybuc December 13, 2016 at 2:52 pm #

Zulma, thanks for sharing that reflection. Your husband sounds like one hell of a guy, much like Bev. She can’t read my dark stuff, it upsets her too much, but she is always encouraging me to continue, telling me that my words are needed…..needed….and telling me the world needs writers regardless of the monetary shortcomings or lack of support….we are needed. 🙂

• phoenix2327 December 13, 2016 at 3:37 pm #

Yes, we are aren’t we? I think I’ll make that my new mantra. 🙂

• Billybuc December 13, 2016 at 5:11 pm #

I have to constantly repeat it. 🙂

14. Karen Szklany Gault December 13, 2016 at 6:09 pm #

Hi Bill,

Thank you again for being one of my online-time highlights and friend across the miles! As swamped with all kinds of stuff as I am, I don’t often have an extra few minutes to comment on other writers’ blogs, but I try to chime in once in a while, just to let you know I’m still here and reading your words! Hope you and Bev have a wonderful holiday season!

• Billybuc December 13, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

That is very kind of you to find the time to reach out across the miles. I really appreciate it. All is well here and I hope the same is true for you. Happy Holidays, my friend.

15. Shauna L Bowling December 14, 2016 at 7:15 pm #

I’m surprised to learn it doesn’t snow very often in Olympia. I was under the impression you’re in snow country. Hmmm.

Judging by the date of this post and the late date of my arrival that Shadow Over a Hangman’s Noose is now live and available for purchase. I’ll definitely be buying a copy. I enjoyed the first two in the Shadows series and look forward to this one. And one more???? Very cool!

• Billybuc December 14, 2016 at 7:39 pm #

Sha, Eastern Washington get snow, but those of us on the west side of the Cascades are warmed up by the Pacific Ocean, so we live in a Banana Belt, so to speak. As for the Shadows, thanks in advance of buying a copy. I really appreciate your support. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in this new one.