Do You Believe In Magic?

28 Nov

No talent there . . . or is there?

I don’t remember much about Thanksgiving when I was a child.  Odd, I think, but memories are so random for us all, so maybe not so odd.  By the time I was ten, death had whittled down our extended family, so it was not a huge event with great multitudes of people after that.

I do remember mom cooking most of the day.  I remember me eating dough not used for pie crusts. And I remember me and some friends always finding time for a touch-football game down at the park, no matter the weather.

Oddly, when I have relapsed in my sobriety, it has always been Thanksgiving.  I’m not sure why, but it is something I’m aware of, so I’m extra vigilant this time of year.

And that’s about it!  Christmas holds many more memories for me as the years accumulate.  Christmas was always a grand affair, what seemed to be a two-week, non-stop barrage of activities and traditions.  I find great comfort in traditions, and now Bev and I are making our own traditions, together and with combined families, and that is all well and good and as it should be.

The little kid in me surfaces at Christmastime.  It’s really the only time of the year when I see that little rascal, and it’s nice to say hello again to him and have him remind me of the magic inherent in certain situations in our lives.  And I think we all need that touch of magic, that feeling of suspended reality when for one day, or perhaps several days, the worries and stress disappear and we can just enjoy friends, and family, and not be burdened by the weight of life.

So that’s my plan in December this year . . . to simply allow the magic to return.  As I approach seventy, I am very much aware that the window for magic is shrinking, so I suspect that each Christmas, from this point onward, will be more precious than the one previous.

And that is something to look forward to, for sure!

That’s how I view writing, by the way . . . magic!  We all, all seven billion of us, work from basically the same alphabet, the same number of words available, but only a true writer can take those meager tools and produce magic.

I hope you remember that the next time you sit down to write . . . you are a magician and what you do is special!  A side note: I recently received an email from a complete stranger telling me how much an article I wrote about alcoholism helped them in dealing with their alcoholic spouse.

Magic!

Important!

25 Responses to “Do You Believe In Magic?”

1. Janine Huldie November 28, 2017 at 3:15 pm #

Aw, love this and admit I have more Christmas memories than Thanksgiving as a kid myself. So, Christmas tends to be a time of the year that is still magical and special to me even after all these years. But just had to stop in and say hi today. Have a wonderful Tuesday once again now, Bill 😉

• Billybuc November 28, 2017 at 3:35 pm #

Thank you Janine! You are just a kid at heart and always will be, just one reason why I love the person you are.

2. froggy213 November 28, 2017 at 3:23 pm #

Bill, you always seem to know what to say and when to say it.

I found myself losing faith in magic until reading this post.

You know I am needing some magic now and I am going to keep reflecting on your words.

Thank you my friend, mentor and brother.

I love y’all. Happy Holidays!

• Billybuc November 28, 2017 at 3:36 pm #

Greg, you are knee deep in shit for sure, but I only know one way out of it…keep moving forward. Ten years from now you’ll look back at this time and smile, but right now yes, magic is needed. Sending prayers your way, buddy!

3. susanzutautas November 28, 2017 at 4:20 pm #

For some reason this year the magic of the Christmas spirit hit me early. Some years I just can’t wait for it to be over. I love how you explain the magic of writing. Not only do I believe in magic but also in miracles as I’m living proof of a miracle. Have a great day Bill!

• Billybuc November 28, 2017 at 4:27 pm #

Yes you are, Susan, and you inspire me. Don’t ever doubt the impact you have on those of us who know you. 🙂

4. Mike November 28, 2017 at 4:25 pm #

Hi Bill – You have reminded me, that I am stalling in digging out the bin with Bedford Falls in it. Thanks for the pep talk.

• Billybuc November 28, 2017 at 4:27 pm #

Well get to digging, Mike! There are a few of us out here eager to read something new.

5. Honey Halley November 28, 2017 at 4:55 pm #

Yes, I do believe in magic! I’m so proud of you for helping people with alcoholism through your writings and I’m glad that they wrote you to let you know what you did for them. It is a little difficult to put our tough times out there but it is so worth if we help even one person.

• Billybuc November 28, 2017 at 5:21 pm #

I totally agree, Honey! Thank you for the kind words and belief in me. That means a lot to me.

6. Shauna L Bowling November 28, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

Bill, all it takes is one person reaching out to let you know how you’ve touched them to make it all worthwhile. It’s a wonderful feeling, isn’t it?

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Hopefully, I’ll talk to you some time before Christmas!

• Billybuc November 28, 2017 at 6:03 pm #

Truth, Sha, helping people is a serious high.

Yes, for sure, we will talk soon.

Love,
      bill

7. AUDREY M HOWITT November 29, 2017 at 12:46 am #

I suspect that this Christmas will hold much magic–but generally, Christmas is a season to get through for me–lots of singing–lots of warding off of colds–and then when it is done, I nestle close to my husband on the couch and we nap together–hope you get all the magic you look for!

• Billybuc November 29, 2017 at 2:56 pm #

Audrey, I lost the magic for a number of years. Bev helped me find it again. 🙂

8. manatita44.hubpages.com November 29, 2017 at 5:36 pm #

Magic, all write.

It touches lives, even those we are not aware of. God bless you, Bro.

• Billybuc November 29, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

Yes it does, my friend, and isn’t that amazing?

9. Andrea Stephenson November 29, 2017 at 8:53 pm #

Yes! That was my answer to the title of your post Bill. I try to find magic everywhere as I believe this world definitely needs more magic – or rather, for us to notice the magic that is all around. But there are times of year when the magic seems closer to the surface.

• Billybuc November 30, 2017 at 2:54 am #

Andrea, it shows in your writing. Only one who sees magic in the world around her could write as beautifully as you.

10. Emese-Réka November 29, 2017 at 9:40 pm #

I didn’t celebrate Thanksgiving growing up, never even knew about it. But I celebrate it now, mainly cooking and baking all day and allowing my kids to “help” by eating all the leftover dough and whatever they like.
    Christmas was also only a one-day event, mostly celebrated in “secret” so the authorities wouldn’t find out. Yeah, life in a communist country. It was still fun, and in a way even more important, even more magical.
    But I enjoy this time of the year the most since I have kids. They always notice the magic around us, and help us see it ourselves. This time of the year is always special, and makes me remember the magic as well.

• Billybuc November 30, 2017 at 2:56 am #

Fascinating, Emese…thank you for sharing that. Even though I have been around a long time, and am well-aware of Communism, it is fascinating to hear from those who live through it in their country.

11. Sageleaf November 30, 2017 at 2:00 am #

Kudos to you for maintaining your sobriety. It’s interesting what you say about your memories regarding Thanksgiving. And how many Christmases to live. It makes me think about a few things: Each moment is precious. None of us knows how long we have. I once had a friend tell me that “life is like a roll of toilet paper. Starts out slow and gets faster toward the end.” lol So true. Time seems to pick up, doesn’t it? Ha! As for Thanksgiving, it’s always been one of my favorite holidays. I kind of have a novel-worthy family background, haha. It was the one holiday that wasn’t focused on material things (like Christmas), and didn’t involve so much drinking to the point where several family members inevitably would drink too much and cause a terrible scene. We’d all simply eat dinner and then get on with lots of other planned activities around Thanksgiving: going to plays, the movies, lightings, out to eat…it was similar each year so they do kind of blur together in that sense. Now, I still like the holiday because we usually get together with husby’s family late in the day after I’ve had time to rest, write, and create. 🙂 Sending you big hugs, Big Bro. Thanks for the awesome thought-provoking post. Keep up the magic!

• Billybuc November 30, 2017 at 2:57 am #

Aww thanks, Lil Sis! Life is magical for me these days. I hope that isn’t some odd sense that it is coming to an end. LOL And you are special to me and I hope you know that.

hugs and love,
      bill

12. phoenix2327 November 30, 2017 at 11:41 am #

Oh, Bill, that is wonderful. Touching someone’s life like that and making a difference. To me, that’s proof that you don’t need to be superhuman to effect a change. You just need to be human. (Humane?)

Have a lovely day, my friend.

• Billybuc November 30, 2017 at 2:45 pm #

Human or humane, both work, Zulma, and thank you! It gives me the warm and fuzzies when I receive an email like that….makes it all seem worthwhile, you know? 🙂 Of course you do!