From Yesterday to Today

3 Apr

I’m adopted!

Some of you know that already, but for those who didn’t, I was adopted at nine months after being in nine foster homes. Evidently I wasn’t cute enough while at those first nine homes, and evidently I turned on the charm for my adoptive parents on Try Number Ten.

It was pretty obvious that I was adopted as I grew up.  I didn’t look like anyone else in the family.  I didn’t act like anyone else in the family. I was a painfully shy kid who, even at family functions, would be over in the corner reading a book or just sitting quietly listening to everyone else talk.  It’s just always been that way for me.  It still is. I’m fine with it.  I used to feel weird about it, when I was younger, but now I just figure that’s the way it is, I’m happy with who I am, and that’s just the real of it.

Anyway, growing up, I observed.  I listened to conversations. I heard stories.  I made note of different speech patterns.  I paid close attention to nature. I saw the nuances in life.  I turned philosophical often, delving for answers to questions. Why was I turned over to an adoption agency? Why does one person act like an ass while another acts like a saint?  Why are girls so friggin’ weird and mysterious?

We didn’t have much money. We were never poor but we sure weren’t swimming in extra cash, either.  Many a day was spent inventing games using only my imagination.  Many a day was spent roaming the neighborhood or exploring on my bike.  Everything was fascinating and mysterious.  I wanted to learn, just not from the nuns at school.

Of course I couldn’t see the big picture. I had no way of knowing that it was all to prepare me for today and my life as a writer.  None of us have that kind of vision into the future and perhaps it is well that we don’t.

I wouldn’t change any of it.  I love my life.  I love that people pay me money for doing something I am passionate about.  I’m thrilled that the shy little kid in the corner found happiness in being himself.  I find that beyond cool!

14 Responses to “From Yesterday to Today”

1. Janine Huldie April 3, 2018 at 2:02 pm #

Aw, I knew as you have written about it in the past. But love how all of your life prepared you for the here and the present. And do think if I might say so myself that you are an amazing man and just glad that you are who you are, as well as a friend indeed to me. Happy Tuesday now!! 🙂

• Billybuc April 3, 2018 at 2:29 pm #

You are sweet, Janine, and I thank you for your kind words and your friendship for all these years. Happy Tuesday my loyal friend.

2. Mike April 3, 2018 at 2:32 pm #

Hello Bill – Great story. You speak so highly of your parents. You had a bit of luck there with the parents. It took you ten tries to find them.

• Billybuc April 3, 2018 at 2:46 pm #

Mike, if that were baseball, I’d only be hitting .100! Not good at all, my friend. lol but it all ended up for the good…thanks a lot, buddy!

3. Manatuta April 3, 2018 at 9:35 pm #

Yes Bro.
    Looks like he was shaping and moulding you for the present. Amazing Grace!

• Billybuc April 4, 2018 at 1:40 pm #

Amazing Grace for sure, Manatita! Thank you brother!

4. madebymejournals April 4, 2018 at 1:10 am #

It’s so interesting to see people’s nature even after nurture. Congruent or not? We don’t know!

• Billybuc April 4, 2018 at 1:40 pm #

We don’t know, my friend, but it is interesting for sure…thank you!

5. Michael Milec April 4, 2018 at 2:26 am #

”I wouldn’t change any of it.” Powerful! Classic – a higher class of conspectus Bill my friend. A mighty Hand was upon you, and you (could not change anything if you would like to). All that was needed as you already said – to prepare you for what you have become.
    [ In recollection of our family rugged and thorny period of barely surviving ” test of standing uprightly” – my son said” what kind of people we would become without being purified as gold by the fire …)

• Billybuc April 4, 2018 at 1:41 pm #

Michael my friend, I do believe hardships mold a person and give them strength…..as long as they are surrounded by love they can make it through anything.

6. 1authorcygnetbrown April 4, 2018 at 11:16 am #

I always heard that children that are born to a family just happens, but a child that was adopted was chosen. Your parents obviously saw that you were someone special when they adopted you.

• Billybuc April 4, 2018 at 1:41 pm #

I won the Lottery, Donna, it’s as simple as that. 🙂 Thank you!

7. Nikki Khan April 5, 2018 at 11:12 am #

Ahh, I didn’t know this part of youflife Bill, interesting and painful at the same time.Interesting because you’ve managed to become such an amazing writer whom people love.And painful because being adopted is very hurting experience, knowing they are not your real parents.
    God bless you always!

• Billybuc April 5, 2018 at 1:41 pm #

And God bless you, Nikki! Thanks so much for your very kind words.