Nowhere Man

1 May

Randomness . . .

I talked to a guy at last weeks’ farmers market who served in Vietnam.  We talked for a good five minutes.  It was fascinating, hearing about the war from a soldier who was there, rather than from some talking head news person who is regurgitating old articles.

He was fine talking about our government, the waste of it all, and the one thing every soldier had in common with all other soldiers, the all-consuming desire to stay alive, but his eyes clouded over when he talked about the fire fights, the brutality of it all, and the killing, and he became deeply saddened when he talked about the distrust for a young child who walked into camp, sadness because they couldn’t trust the child, did not know if she was armed and meant them harm, or just lost.

That shit is real!  That is the human connection that great stories have. As writers, we need to listen to those stories, absorb them, and never let their humanness escape us when we are writing.

I was reading a post on Facebook from a young single mother of two.  She was talking about the struggle and the feelings of inadequacy, the worries that she was not doing a good job of parenting, not providing all the things her daughters needed. It was a heartbreaking post, and it was more poignant because she is a former student of mine.

That shit is real!

I spend a lot of time observing people.  I always have.  The difference now, as opposed to when I was younger, is I engage with those people now. I want to know more.  I want to hear their stories.  The more engaged I become, the more they are willing to open up, and selfishly I gain from each story because I am a storyteller, and I want my stories to be authentic.  Their stories help me, and similar stories will help you.  I’m not just talking about fiction writers.  Non-fiction writers can benefit as well.  We need that human connection in our writing.  Otherwise we might as well just write for Wikipedia.

I cry much more now than I once did.  Ask my wife if this is true. I cry watching television shows.  It bothered me at first, but now I embrace it.  It means I’m becoming more connected with what is real in life.  It means I am becoming more human. It means I have gained empathy, and I am fine with that.  At the risk of sounding like a love child from the 60’s, we need more love in this world. We need to make more connections and not fewer.  What was that line from that old song by Pink Floyd . . . two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,” or something like that . . . that perfectly describes so many people, lonely, agitated, confused, desperately in need of human contact but unsure, unaware, unwilling,  or unknowing in how to make it happen.

“Nowhere Man, please listen, you don’t know what you’re missing . . . “

Random thoughts . . .

20 Responses to “Nowhere Man”

1. Janine Huldie May 1, 2018 at 1:52 pm #

It truly is the connections and couldn’t agree more with you if I tried, Bill. Oh and now I am singing and humming, The Beatles classic tune from this. So thank you for that as anything that reminds me of their music is always truly aces in my book. Happy Tuesday now 🙂

• Billybuc May 1, 2018 at 4:15 pm #

That was for you, Janine. I literally thought of you when I gave this a title….no thanks necessary! lol

2. Mike May 1, 2018 at 3:30 pm #

Hello Bill – I could clearly see that little child walking into a camp of frightened men, not knowing if she meant them harm. The stories overflow with the emotion of the situation. Artistry With Words is yet another jewel in the crown of your writing.

• Billybuc May 1, 2018 at 4:16 pm #

Aww, thanks Mike! I thought of you, actually, when I was talking to that veteran….in case I’ve never said it, thank you for serving in that war.

3. Manatita May 1, 2018 at 4:09 pm #

You tell it so real! So well! What can I say, Bro? I cry too. More so now. Nikki calls life a ‘misery.’ I was joking with her. We do not think of it that way. But she has a point … perhaps. Have a great day Bro.

• Billybuc May 1, 2018 at 4:17 pm #

Nikki, speaks her truth, Brother, as we do ours. For some, life is nothing more than day after day of misery. Profoundly sad thought.

4. Sageleaf May 2, 2018 at 1:11 am #

We surely do need more love in the world, Big Bro. And you’re an incredible storyteller. The stories/books I’ve read of yours have been riveting and seem so real. You are talented! But it’s getting out in the world and interacting with humans that allows us to do the work we do as writers and teachers, no? Keep on keeping on. We all have the things we struggle with but in the end, if we can love ourselves and find love in others, then I think we’ll be all right. 🙂 Happy Tuesday to ya.

• Billybuc May 3, 2018 at 1:41 pm #

I’m so late, Lil Sis, but wanted to take just a moment to say I so appreciate you and the work you do…and the searching you do…all to be a better person and live a life of love. Hugs, Lil Sis!

5. Michael Milec May 2, 2018 at 1:42 am #

Crying as laughing comes so natural to real people. I suppose we would be worse of hypocrites by denying to ourselves innermost selves. . . Thus we cry as needed, mostly being identified with the people / circumstances, more than just expressin ‘ feelings’. There is hidden tha one virtue, you my friend call it ‘love’- saying, we need more love in this world… as for me I alwas put in first place, people need the …. – with capita ”L” .
    I love your genuine storytelling writing.

• Billybuc May 3, 2018 at 1:42 pm #

Michael my friend, you are correct as always…we need Love in this world. Blessings always!

6. phoenix2327 May 2, 2018 at 10:01 am #

Personally, I like your random posts. They make me thinks things, important things. Yes, we definitely need morel love in this world. I think it’s time the flower children came out of retirement and show the world how things should be.

Have yourself a lovely and loving day. 🙂

• Billybuc May 3, 2018 at 1:42 pm #

More randomness in the future just for you,Zulma! thank you and Happy Thursday to you!

7. Nikki Khan May 3, 2018 at 7:23 am #

You’re right Bill,, as a writer we should listen to more people and we should create that human and real-felt touch in our writings to make them more humanely.
    I do the same as you do,, whenever I watch something horrible, it makes me cry, even a tv drama or film.
    Thanks for sharing from your heart Bill my friend.
    Bless you and your wife!

• Billybuc May 3, 2018 at 1:43 pm #

Always, Nikki! I’m too old to play games or give less than my heartfelt thoughts. You can count on it.

8. Dee May 3, 2018 at 10:46 pm #

Now that we are much much older, we realize the importance of reaching out to those in need. I think we missed out on the blessings when we were younger of helping others. You are not alone in your crying; it’s a sign you are a caring person.

• Billybuc May 4, 2018 at 1:48 pm #

Thank you Dee! Bev and I share tears quite often watching television, and I find it to be a wonderful release.

9. Dalo 2013 May 6, 2018 at 7:24 am #

I think we tend to all become a bit more emotional when we get older ~ I’ll cry at things now that I certainly would not have in the past. I think you are right, we begin feeling a closer connectedness to reality…that we care. Cheers to a good ending of the weekend.

• Billybuc May 6, 2018 at 2:53 pm #

Thank you Dalo! I prefer the emotional me now. It is good being human.

10. Sarah Potter Writes May 17, 2018 at 2:45 pm #

I’m guessing you always were emotional, my dear friend, but sat on all that emotion with drink. Now it’s your tears that flow, rather than the booze. And, yes, I think we do get more emotional with age. I often cry at happy things on television, whereas sad things often leave me numb and sit on my heart like a heavy rock. It is so important to reach out to people in need as you encounter them, as it’s impossible to save the whole world. I’ve read three novels recently (that I’ll be reviewing in due course). In each story, I’ve cared about the characters so much that I can only guess that the authors make a habit of truly connecting with the people they meet.

• Billybuc May 17, 2018 at 4:16 pm #

I believe you are correct, Sarah. My emotions were always bubbling right below the surface, but for many years I kept them at bay….I prefer the way I view life and react to it now. 🙂 Wishing you a spectacular weekend, dear friend.