What Do You See?

4 Feb

What do you see?

Look at the photo!  What do you see?

The tranquility of a Fall day, Mother Earth resting before the tumult of Winter, long shadows of early afternoon, the sun trying in vain to provide heat to this mountain valley, the river calm and peaceful, the distant mountains free of the snowy mantel which will be upon them soon.  A colorful palate, at least four shades of green, five of blue, the sunshine playing tricks on the eye’s mind, first you see it, then you don’t, nature’s magic show on display daily, no admittance cost.

What else?  Look closely!

Dying pines in the forefront, losing the battle against shallow soil, relentless winds, and a drier than normal summer.  Looking north/northeast, the shadows relinquishing that bit of information, the valley oddly empty of wildlife, an oddity for this area, known for wildlife and man coming together in a NO-FIRE ZONE, designated a protected area to infinity and beyond, and thank the gods for that designation.

What you don’t see

A dam-free river, one of the few remaining in the contiguous United States, looking much the same as it did in the early 1800’s when mountain men swarmed the area in search of beaver, the photo could be from that era or it could be from present-day, time standing still for generations to marvel at.

Flowing north, northeast, finally meeting up with the Mighty Mo, this is a river rooted deeply in the American story, known to the French who once trapped here as the Roche Jaune, the surrounding area known as Colter’s Hell, geysers and hot pools appearing mystical to early visitors.

The reveal

The Majestic Yellowstone River, flowing through Hayden Valley in Yellowstone National Park, one of the truly beautiful, unspoiled spots in the United States, free to all visitors, a gift from our ancestors, a gift to our children, may we always see the wisdom in conservation and preservation.

What’s the point?

Inspiration is all around us, for all of us who love to write.

A fun experience

I recently sat down for a video chat with my friend Shell Vera, a Fireside Chat about my writing process and about life.  You can see that video by following this link.

That’s it for this week. Thanks for spending some time with me.

27 Responses to “What Do You See?”

1. Janine Huldie February 4, 2020 at 5:42 pm #

Beautiful inspiration for this rainy Tuesday here. That said, I can’t wait to listen to your fireside chat and will have to listen later this evening once it is quiet here. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Tuesday now!!

• Billybuc February 4, 2020 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks Janine, and thank you in advance for listening to the chat. Happy Tuesday to you my friend.

2. Audrey M Howitt February 4, 2020 at 7:56 pm #

Gorgeous country Bill! Off to listen to the chat!

• Billybuc February 4, 2020 at 9:42 pm #

I appreciate it, Audrey! Thanks always!

3. Susan Zutautas February 4, 2020 at 8:24 pm #

What a beautiful spot! I think I’ll listen to the chat on my phone as my computer speakers work, don’t work, work …..

4. explorereikiworld February 4, 2020 at 9:16 pm #

That’s such a serene spot. The best for all writers 🙂

Loved your interview. Wishing you success, Bill

• Billybuc February 4, 2020 at 9:40 pm #

Thank you Ruchira! You are appreciated, my friend.

5. 1authorcygnetbrown February 4, 2020 at 11:26 pm #

There’s nothing more inspiring than nature!

• Billybuc February 5, 2020 at 2:48 pm #

No there isn’t, Donna! Thank you for summing it up perfectly.

• 1authorcygnetbrown February 9, 2020 at 10:06 pm #

I can’t wait to get out to my new place so that I can get better in touch with my piece of nature!

• Billybuc February 10, 2020 at 2:46 pm #

I hope your move comes soon, my friend.

6. nightlake February 5, 2020 at 3:35 am #

Lovely piece. ‘What do you see?’ had an aesthetic appeal…The ‘look closely’ paragraph is more practical. Did you click the photo? A fabulous shot

• Billybuc February 5, 2020 at 2:42 pm #

I did click that photo,Nightlake…thank you so much for the kind words.

7. phoenix2327 February 5, 2020 at 7:31 am #

I’ve seen this photo many times in your other writings and it never fails to make me stop and admire it. It just invites you to step in and create stories within its setting. This is one of your own shots, isn’t it, Bill?

• Billybuc February 5, 2020 at 2:41 pm #

It is, Zulma! I sat there for hours looking at that scene from the top of a small hill. It spoke to me and I still love it, ten years later. No surprise that you love it too.

• phoenix2327 February 6, 2020 at 9:12 am #

It really is well composed. I especially like how the river snakes across the leading your eye to follow it along.

By the way, I just ordered your memoirs and I noticed there is a bookseller on the UK Amazon site asking £39 ($50) for your book. It’s dispatched from India. You know that we fans adore you, but we do have our limits. 😀 Thought you might like to know.

Have a great day, Bill.

• Billybuc February 6, 2020 at 2:37 pm #

I trust nothing about Amazon….how ridiculous that is…thanks for the heads up. I wouldn’t pay that for MY book.

8. Sageleaf February 5, 2020 at 11:27 am #

That was really fascinating what you did there with that photo. I enjoyed the different perspectives you presented. I was sure it was a scene from your state of Washington, but who knew it would be Wyoming? That said, you also remind me about how precious nature really is: how the actions of humans are affecting so many cycles on the planet. May more of us see the beauty here and elect to protect it. Have a wonderful week, my friend. Sending hugs from Cacalack. 🙂

• Billybuc February 5, 2020 at 2:39 pm #

Thank you Lil Sis! There is nothing like Yellowstone to remind us all that nature is vitally important to us all. Thanks so much for always being here. Hugs heading back atcha!

9. manatita Hutchinson February 5, 2020 at 1:14 pm #

Three cheers for the power of observation. One either turns out into a Sherlock Holmes, a Walt Whitman or a damn good writer

10. Billybuc February 5, 2020 at 2:33 pm #

There is truth in your statement, Manatita! Thank you for being here.

11. phoenix2327 February 7, 2020 at 7:37 am #

I hear ya. Let’s hope that particular seller wasn’t looking to bankroll his retirement off the sales of your book.

Have a great weekend, Bill. Any signs of Spring yet?

• Billybuc February 7, 2020 at 2:46 pm #

He would be knee-high in doo-doo if that was his intention, Zulma!

Rain today and then they are promising us five days of sunshine. We shall see!

Happy Weekend dear friend! We made it to another one.

• phoenix2327 February 8, 2020 at 8:27 am #

There’s a storm coming in and the weather office is issuing gale-force wind warnings. But yesterday morning I was awoken by the sound of birds chirping outside my window. I’ll take that and call it a win.

Take care, Bill.

• Billybuc February 8, 2020 at 3:26 pm #

Definitely a win, Zulma! In baseball that would be batting .500, and that’s Hall of Fame caliber. 🙂 Happy Weekend, my friend.